• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

So it looks like tomorrow is when I'll get the notice to see if I'm "essential personnel" at our manufacturing facility.  Corporate has basically put out the message and said that all North and Latin American facilities will "significantly reduce production" starting on Monday, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

My gut says that I'm not, seeing that I'm in an Operational Excellence/Engineering role.  But I've been here 24 years and have extensive knowledge about our processes, from my younger years on the production line and as a line supervisor. So that "possibly" makes me essential . . . slightly.

My role for the last 3 years has been process improvement and project manager based.   The guy or gal who actually bends sheet metal and shoots the screws, is the "essential" employee because he or she is actually making the product.  And that's the right call.

So if I'm not essential, I'm off for a minimum of 2 weeks or more, and possibly have to file for unemployment.  I doubt if the company says that we can just use our vacation days and get full pay, if we're not contributing anything productive.   So it's probably unemployment.

Interesting times.  I haven't had to deal with the possibility of losing my job since 9/11.  So we'll see what happens tomorrow.

• Sad 5

From my neck of the woods down here in Southwest Georgia is this update by Phoebe System today. Am praying numbers stay similar at Sumter but am trying to be measured and realistic as well. Putney opened a shut down part of their system for patient space a couple of days ago. Worried for folks beyond my area as for example I saw the Louisiana news of very rapid increase of cases in the last 24 hours. In almost every case the comment is that because of more available testing now the numbers are shooting up faster because it was already here/there. Am truly becoming a hermit and hope everyone does indeed take care.

Albany, Ga. – As of noon Thursday, these were all Phoebe-related COVID-19 test results:

• Total Positive Results – 217
  • Total Positive Deaths – 16
  • Total Positive Patients in Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital – 31
  • Total Positive Patients in Phoebe Sumter Medical Center - 2
  • Total Positive Patients in Phoebe Worth Medical Center – 0
  • Total Positive External Patients – 168
  • Total Inpatients Awaiting Test Results at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital – 95
  • Total Inpatients Awaiting Test Results at Phoebe Sumter Medical Center – 26
  • Total Inpatients Awaiting Test Results at Phoebe Worth Medical Center – 2
  • Total Other Patients Awaiting Test Results – 1,319
  • Total Negative Results - 255
  • Sad 1

Just saw this a few minutes ago (5:00 P.M.). Not a horse race anyone would want to win. The graph AHF showed the other day was truly on point and even possibly underestimated a good bit. We have over 80,000 confirmed cases now. Jeepers man.

23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China (mainland)[d] 81,285 3,287 74,051 [2]
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States[e] 80,854 1,163 1,864 [3][4]
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy[f] 80,589 8,165 10,361 [7]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Thomas said:

From my neck of the woods down here in Southwest Georgia is this update by Phoebe System today. Am praying numbers stay similar at Sumter but am trying to be measured and realistic as well. Putney opened a shut down part of their system for patient space a couple of days ago. Worried for folks beyond my realm as for example I saw the Louisiana news of very rapid increase of cases in the last 24 hours. In almost every case the comment is that because of more available testing now the numbers are shooting up faster because it was already here/there. Am truly becoming a hermit and hope everyone does indeed take care.

Albany, Ga. – As of noon Thursday, these were all Phoebe-related COVID-19 test results:

• Total Inpatients Awaiting Test Results at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital – 95

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Thomas said:

And so now it has come to fruition. Thursday 7:45 P.M. Damn.

22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States[d] 83,545 1,201 1,864 [2][3]
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China (mainland)[e] 81,285 3,287 74,051 [4]
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy[f] 80,589 8,215 10,361 [7]

Let me just say, I don't put much stock in China's official numbers. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Thomas said:

From my neck of the woods down here in Southwest Georgia is this update by Phoebe System today. Am praying numbers stay similar at Sumter but am trying to be measured and realistic as well. Putney opened a shut down part of their system for patient space a couple of days ago. Worried for folks beyond my area as for example I saw the Louisiana news of very rapid increase of cases in the last 24 hours. In almost every case the comment is that because of more available testing now the numbers are shooting up faster because it was already here/there. Am truly becoming a hermit and hope everyone does indeed take care.

That's incredible.  If that were my small city ( about 170,000 ppl here ), we'd be freaking out.  So I can imagine how the people in Albany feel.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, Thomas said:

But just the same this update has happened in less than forty minutes.

22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States[d] 85,088 1,290 1,864

It was only 7 days ago when someone posted this wasn't that serious. Not calling anyone out just using that post as a time stamp to show how much things have escalated. If this expands past the US healthcare system's capacity to treat people, Europe (Italy and Spain) will no longer be the epicenter of this infection. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, hawkman said:

It was only 7 days ago when someone posted this wasn't that serious. Not calling anyone out just using that post as a time stamp to show how much things have escalated. If this expands past the US healthcare system's capacity to treat people, Europe (Italy and Spain) will no longer be the epicenter of this infection. 

One of the articles yesterday stated gov. healthcare folks think Louisiana could very well become the new States version of the epicenter that New York is now. Seems almost impossible to me but still a very frightening thought. With our numbers overall this morning your comment about the States becoming the new global epicenter seems quite possible. Not sure how but hope we can get a much better grip with a ton of supplies manufactured soon and more people listening to medical advice. Also saw that Dyson has developed a portable ventilator and the UK ordered 10,000 units so think that may be another way to help get supplied.

22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States[d] 85,798 1,295 1,868 [2][3]
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China (mainland)[e] 81,340 3,292 74,588 [4]
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy[f] 80,589 8,215 10,361 [7]
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain 56,197 4,145 7,015 [8]