• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

The numbers are soaring because more testing is being done.  It's not because the virus is out of control.  This thing has been around longer than the past week.  I'm convinced that some of these negative flu tests I was seeing back in January and February were actually this virus, because it was taking up to two weeks for some of those folks to get better.  

The key over the next two weeks will be convincing those who have it to keep their asses at home and convincing those who do not have emergent needs to stop coming into the clinic.  I've seen a few folks today with allergies since the pollen is ramping up, but every bit of that can be treated with OTC medication.  You do not have to come in for a "shot" when you have rhinosinusitis.  

If we just stay home when we are sick, we will not only control the spread of this virus.  We will control the spread of other viruses such as influenza and all the stuff that causes diarrhea and vomiting as well.

Glad to hear from you what I’ve been saying/thinking. Hopefully people stop buying things impulsively, therefore limiting groceries for folks who need them. Also like you said, stay home if you don’t feel well. 

There seems to be a group of older and younger folks who are ignoring it completely. No need to be scared, just be smart people.

• Like 1

The first "point of care" testing kit has now been approved here in the States. A very big move in the right direction. Results as soon as 45 minutes are possible on location.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the first coronavirus diagnostic test that can be conducted entirely at the point of care.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/fda-authorizes-first-rapid-point-of-care-coronavirus-test/ar-BB11vTxm?ocid=bingtonews

cepheidjpg.jpg

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 3/19/2020 at 4:19 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Sadly, you won't have to wait 1 month, not even 1 week for the numbers to double....but just 3 days:

10,684 reported positive cases, 154 deaths😩

It was expected, more testing = more positive results

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/16/816707182/map-tracking-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

Had to revisit this since things have exploded in the 3 days since this post. If the dire situation in Italy is any indication, it's apparent this isn't going away anytime soon. 

• Sad 2

On 3/20/2020 at 10:51 PM, kerrypack said:

man.  Note that I work in the field.  I am pretty sure that I have cv, btw.  For me, not much of a threat.  f it.  I don't feel that bad; no short term memory for about a week, but physically ok.

In terms of the herd immunity concept, moronically described above(man... sigh....), the concept is that if 60% of the population has had it, it can't readily spread further.  Most people have  immunity, so they can't pick it up and spread it to the others.  friggin moronic description above in most every way.  man.  Trust me, my short term memory is shot, but my iq still beats eddie.

a/w good luck to everyone.  the world isn't going to end.

Ok. So you work in the field, as do I, and dismiss herd immunity through vaccinations as moronic?  Herd immunity can be achieved both ways, but the exposure way is rough and will overload, as it is starting to in places, healthcare systems. I hope you feel better and realize your response was in terms of insulting me, was misguided and just plain rude as hell. 

• Like 2

Nothing to add right here really. Just more of the same con.

Several months before the coronavirus pandemic began, the Trump administration eliminated a key American public health position in Beijing intended to help detect disease outbreaks in China, Reuters has learned. The American disease expert, a medical epidemiologist embedded in China’s disease control agency, left her post in July, according to four sources with knowledge of the issue. The first cases of the new coronavirus may have emerged as early as November, and as cases exploded, the Trump administration in February chastised China for censoring information about the outbreak and keeping U.S. experts from entering the country to help.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'm cleared to go back to work today.  Just have to see the work nurse and get clearance from her.

Glad to hear it!  Don’t post if you aren’t comfortable but did you get testing showing the virus was out of your system?  Curious for when we encounter this with my company,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'm cleared to go back to work today.  Just have to see the work nurse and get clearance from her.

See if they'll post-date your 'back to work' eggscuse.  Give yourself some free vacation ...

.... so you can come paint my bathrooms.  Mrs. kg is on me to get it done.

🤠

• Haha 1

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection stemming from hay fever.  Because I wasn't exhibiting any of the major symptoms when they saw me, I didn't qualify for the Covid-19 test.  They're not testing regular people if they're so-called "asymptomatic".  At least not in my state.

That's great you're doing better.   It's crazy we still aren't testing many people.  This isn't going to get better until we basically start testing everyone.

• Like 1

• Moderators

This order is just for the near-half million residents in the City of Atlanta (and to an extent, employees who would come into the city boundaries for work or whatever).

The other metro-area county and municipal orders vary. (e.g., some metro county parks like Cobb's are closed, some not).

Statewide, the shelter-in-place order applies only to the "medically fragile", at least for now.

~lw3