• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

There's no uniform way to get tested, every state is doing something different, hospitals aren't ready to take on a big volume of patients for this and protect their workers.  I don't think the press has created panic at all.  in fact where would be if there wasn't some push that this is serious?  Hell people are still trying to crowd into bars so i'm not seeing that there has been a panic created.  There's definitely a run on supplies but that happens with snow flurries here in GA so i think that's just what people do.  

This is going to be an economic disaster but hopefully if it's short enough we can recover quickly.   The potential disaster of this becoming widespread in the US would be much much worse.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Elon Musk Downplays COVID-19 Danger in Email to Space-X Employees

The Space-X and Tesla CEO noted you’re more likely to die driving a car home than from coronavirus.

Musk: Tesla "unlikely" to pursue battery swapping stations
David McNew + AFP/Getty Images
  • Musk sent a companywide email to Space-X employees downplaying the risk of the coronavirus.
  • The CEO told employees that if they’re feeling sick, they ought to stay home, but earlier in the week stated on Twitter that the fatality rate was “greatly overstated.”
  • As of the publication of this article, 51 people have died in the United States, and there are more than 2000 cases of coronavirus.

While cities are banning large gatherings, companies are asking employees to work from home, auto shows and sporting events are being canceled or rescheduled, and the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared coronavirus a worldwide pandemic, Buzzfeed reports that Space-X CEO Elon Musk is telling his employees it is "*not* within the top 100 health risks in the United States."

This follows a tweet the CEO posted on March 6 stating, "The coronavirus panic is dumb." While the argument that the tweet is in response to panic buying and not the outbreak itself, the email sent to Space-X employees on Friday morning is more clear.

In an email acquired by Buzzfeed, the CEO states: "As a basis for comparison, the risk of death from C19 is *vastly* less than the risk of death from driving        your car home." He pointed out that there have been 36,000 automotive deaths. We assume he means per year since that lines up with the amount of              2018 automobile-related fatalities: 36,560.

He compared that to “36 so far this year for C19.” As of the publishing of this article, 51 COVID-19 deaths have occurred in the United States.

While his numbers aren't wrong, it is interesting that he would compare automobile deaths to virus deaths, particularly when Musk's best-known company, Tesla, is in the business of building and selling automobiles. Plus, no one "catches" an automobile collision.

Musk went on to state that this is not a top 100 health risk and comment that the 36 deaths "were almost all in high-risk groups, particularly older people who already had prior lung damage, diabetes, or heart disease." Musk did tell his employees if they are not feeling well, they should stay home.

There is currently no vaccine for coronavirus. As has been extremely well publicized in recent days, the CDC recommends cleaning your hands often, which includes washing them for 20 seconds. When water is not available, use hand sanitizer. Also, avoid touching your face and avoid close contact with people who are sick; distance yourself from others if COVID-19 is spreading in your community.

• Moderators

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1103023/coronavirus-cases-distribution-by-age-group-italy/

Italy has a death rate between 5 and 10%.  

25% of deaths were people under 50

37% of deaths were people 50-70

So the vast majority of deaths are people not 'old' by today's standards.  

I like Musk but comparing a virus to car deaths is not only misleading it's just plain stupid.   There are many, many factors that go into getting killed by a car.  There are easy ways to 100% guarantee you won't get killed by a car, and there are thousands of ways to make your chances of dying in an automobile accident be very small.  Right now the only way to significantly lower your risk of catching this virus is to not leave your home and not interact with other people.   

If I'd have received that memo from Musk i'd be extremely pissed and disappointed that he'd put such a non-nonsensical argument in writing. 

• Moderators

This Is How Many People Die From the Flu Each Year, According to the CDC

While everyone is in a panic about the coronavirus (officially renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization), there's an even deadlier virus many people are forgetting about: the flu.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000. 

The CDC also estimates that up to 31 million Americans have caught the flu this season, with 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized because of the virus. 

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year

• Moderators

It's not the flu

7vg6cr93q1n41-1.png?w=960&h=540&crop=1

fatality rate is many many time worse.   look at the incubation time and the hospitalization rate.  That's why we are potentially screwed.  Despite all those flu deaths, flu doesn't overwhelm hospitals.   c19 does.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
    1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

It's not the flu

7vg6cr93q1n41-1.png?w=960&h=540&crop=1

fatality rate is many many time worse.   look at the incubation time and the hospitalization rate.  That's why we are potentially screwed.  Despite all those flu deaths, flu doesn't overwhelm hospitals.   c19 does.  

It overwhelms hospitals because it's new and the hysteria... They are unprepared on how to treat it while we've had a flu vaccine for decades now. Also, the immune systems for people in the Middle East and Asia are far worse than western civilization... most people in America don't live in squalor like they do.

3 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

It overwhelms hospitals because it's new and the hysteria... They are unprepared on how to treat it while we've had a flu vaccine for decades now. Also, the immune systems for people in the Middle East and Asia are far worse than western civilization... most people in America don't live in squalor like they do.

I gotta tell ya, this sounds like you should read a bit more about what's actually happening w.r.t. this virus.

One could make a case that those in the Middle East/Asia are more prepared to deal with this than we are.  We're the weak ones.

• Like 3

• Moderators
    26 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Huh?  Italy and Spains death tolls are going to hit China's very soon and if you look at as % of population it's exponentially worse.  South Korea so far is the only place that has effectively managed it.  

• Like 3

Because I'm not fully at 100%, I took vacation for the rest of the week to make sure I'm fully recovered.  This triggered our new corporate COVID-19 protocol at work, which was enacted today.   Even if I don't have this, I'm now mandated to stay away from work for a minimum of 2 weeks, because I ran a fever and had a sore throat.   I have 4 weeks of vacation to burn, so being out that length of time shouldn't affect me too much.  But this could extend longer depending on what I'm diagnosed with later in the week.

No fever since Sunday.  Just a little cough left.  Week 2 is what I have to watch though, because that's when the shortness of breath and pneunomia normally comes in during COVID-19.  No signs of that yet early on.

Now I know why I suddenly got red hot in the lottery in the past 3 weeks:

• $2,000
    • $500
    • $300
    • $300
    • $220
    • $180

That's $3,500 extra money I've won in the past 3 weeks, after basically winning nothing all of last year.  Historically, I've normally only won big when I possibly needed the money.  LOL . . I should've known something was up.  I used most of that money to stock up. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Because I'm not fully at 100%, I took vacation for the rest of the week to make sure I'm fully recovered.  This triggered our new corporate COVID-19 protocol at work, which was enacted today.   Even if I don't have this, I'm now mandated to stay away from work for a minimum of 2 weeks, because I ran a fever and had a sore throat.   I have 4 weeks of vacation to burn, so being out that length of time shouldn't affect me too much.  But this could extend longer depending on what I'm diagnosed with later in the week.

No fever since Sunday.  Just a little cough left.  Week 2 is what I have to watch though, because that's when the shortness of breath and pneunomia normally comes in during COVID-19.  No signs of that yet early on.

Now I know why I suddenly got red hot in the lottery in the past 3 weeks:

• $2,000
    • $500
    • $300
    • $300
    • $220
    • $180

That's $3,500 extra money I've won in the past 3 weeks, after basically winning nothing all of last year.  Historically, I've normally only won big when I possibly needed the money.  LOL . . I should've known something was up.  I used most of that money to stock up. 

So glad it sounds like you're on the track to being better.  But .. ya know .... money is soooo icky.  There's germs all over that stuff.  It'd be a tremendous hardship for me but ... if you need someone to hold onto that cash-ola, I'll begrudgingly offer a safe deposit box at kg-trust.  😎

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
    1 hour ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

You are stating why it's overwhelming hospitals - it's new and no known cure...Problem.

You are stating how unprepared we are to treat it because of no vaccine...Problem.

Add that to the fact how easily it spreads....problem.

Have you seen the death toll in Italy and Spain? 

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are for the US when widespread testing actual starts.

No panic but we must still be prudent!

• Like 1

• Moderators
    40 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I gotta tell ya, this sounds like you should read a bit more about what's actually happening w.r.t. this virus.

One could make a case that those in the Middle East/Asia are more prepared to deal with this than we are.  We're the weak ones.

40 minutes ago, kg01 said:

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You are stating why it's overwhelming hospitals - it's new and no known cure...Problem.

You are stating how unprepared we are to treat it because of no vaccine...Problem.

Add that to the fact how easily it spreads....problem.

Have you seen the death toll in Italy and Spain? 

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are for the US when widespread testing actual starts.

No panic but we must still be prudent!

4565 reported positive cases for COVID in the US.  Of that, only 87 deaths. That's 1.9% of positive cases. Compared to the entire US population, that's 0.0013% of people in the US have COVID.  My only point is the current mass hysteria is not warranted whether my previous comments are informed or not. This "outbreak" is not even comparable to the Spanish Flu of the early 1900's where over 500000 Americans died. I agree that we should not ignore it and our health professionals should be cautious and diligent in finding a treatment, but the hysteria and fear mongering f'ing annoys me.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/16/816707182/map-tracking-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

I leave this thread alone for a month and we'll see where we're at then... I'll eat crow if the numbers double.

7 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

4565 reported positive cases for COVID in the US.  Of that, only 87 deaths. That's 1.9% of positive cases. Compared to the entire US population, that's 0.0013% of people in the US have COVID.  My only point is the current mass hysteria is not warranted whether my previous comments are informed or not. This "outbreak" is not even comparable to the Spanish Flu of the early 1900's where over 500000 Americans died. I agree that we should not ignore it and our health professionals should be cautious and diligent in finding a treatment, but the hysteria and fear mongering f'ing annoys me.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/16/816707182/map-tracking-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

I leave this thread alone for a month and we'll see where we're at then... I'll eat crow if the numbers double. 

Both things can be true.

First, we all agree the fear mongering is annoying.  However, we should take precautions based on the nature and severity of this virus.  It's not "just" the flu.

And comparing to past outbreaks is like saying, "Eh, a million people died of scurvy 'cause we didn't eat oranges.  Let's not eat oranges 'til a million and one people die."

I hope, when you return in a month, the death toll is unimpressive.  That'd mean medical establishment has learned from past mistakes.

• Like 2

• Moderators
    26 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

i wouldn't say that because they are going to way more than double simply because more people will get tested.  So that won't necessarily mean you're wrong about the severity.  Obviously there are way more than 5000 people with it right now.  There's probably 50,000 since some are asymptomatic.  But that's the problem.  They are out there spreading it with no clue.  Donovan Mitchell would still be playing basketball. 

That's the problem with the info we've been given is that these numbers are based on almost no testing in the us.  What percentage of people who have been tested have tested positive?  

But i also don't think there is hysteria.  I'm not seeing it.  I'm seeing the opposite and people around here acting like this is all unnecessary and a big inconvenience.   Airlines and sports leagues don't destroy their billion dollar businesses based on unwarranted fear.  

27 minutes ago, kg01 said:

So glad it sounds like you're on the track to being better.  But .. ya know .... money is soooo icky.  There's germs all over that stuff.  It'd be a tremendous hardship for me but ... if you need someone to hold onto that cash-ola, I'll begrudgingly offer a safe deposit box at kg-trust.  😎

LOL . . I got you.

And I was one of the guys that said just last week that money could be the main transmitter of all of this in the United States.  If that's the case, it'll be the one way that a truly "cashless society" could be set up . . and people would be all for it, in order not to get sick.

• Like 2

• Moderators
    Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . I got you.

And I was one of the guys that said just last week that money could be the main transmitter of all of this in the United States.  If that's the case, it'll be the one way that a truly "cashless society" could be set up . . and people would be all for it, in order not to get sick.

I hope you keep getting better.   Have you been tested for C19 or flu?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Your math is waaay off.

If 1.9% of the people who get this, dies . . . compared to 0.1% of the people who die from the regular flu, you can see where the concern comes in.   Because this would me out of the 4565 ( if they had the regular flu ), only 5 of them would die.

So what happens if the number of cases jumps up to 100,000?  

• regular flu = 100 deaths
    • COVID-19 = 1900 deaths

If 33% of the population gets this over the next 12 months, that's roughly 110,000,000 people.   

At 2%, that's 2.2 million dead

The number of reported cases in the US will quadruple by next week, once mass testing starts.  That's when the REAL hysteria will start.

My concern is that if I have this shit, my ability to provide immediate needs for my family becomes severely compromised for possibly a month.  Not talking about financially, but physically.  And if I have it, the rest of us in the house are under quarantine as well.   If I don't, it's all good, but I still have to stay away from work until April.   

If March Madness was happening, I wouldn't mind this shit at all.

I hardly ever get sick.  And when I have gotten sick in the past, I was much worse than what I am right now, which is around 85% - 90%.  I could've easily have gone to work today, and played it off like I was fine ( like I know some of those people in the main office is doing, despite hacking and sneezing all over the place ).  I chose to distance myself, then the job extended it for me.

18 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I hope you keep getting better.   Have you been tested for C19 or flu?

Not yet.  Hard to get appointments and they're discouraging people with only mild symptoms from going to the ER.  Hopefully someone can see my by Thursday or Friday.  Walk-in clinics aren't equipped to handle this yet.

• Sad 1

• Moderators
    9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Not yet.  Hard to get appointments and they're discouraging people with only mild symptoms from going to the ER.  Hopefully someone can see my by Thursday or Friday.  Walk-in clinics aren't equipped to handle this yet.

ugh.  this is the crazy part.  you actually have symptoms and can't even get a test.  And there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive plan to provide testing.   It's not like we just heard of this virus last week.  

• Like 3