• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

Temperature is 99.9 now. 

Coughing a little with phelgm, but nothing excessive.  No sign of rattling in my chest when I breathe.  Sore throat virtually gone, even when I cough.  This is normally a good sign when I get something like this, but you never know in this environment.

My only concern is that I've been having more knee pain than normal, almost excessive.  Working 12 straight days in the past 2 weeks didn't help.

Definitely in isolation mode from everyone else now.  Only making trips to the kitchen and bathroom, and spraying behind me when I leave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Living ITP, it has been a little impactful on the streets and shops. The St. Patty's Weekend bars rolled right on through the night, Erin Go Bragh and whatnot.

But I get the sense, among the reasonably healthy and well-to-do, that for most folks it's like, "Let's get out here and have a good time out... ((looks at several segments of Europe))... while we all still have a choice." It's as if we're out here singing a certain R.E.M. song whose refrain ends with, "And I feel FINE!"

I do feel for all of us wage workers and folks who have to interface with customers directly to make a living. The retail market workers are SO stressed right now, and not just because of the patrons. Even if you only interface with widgets all day and clock in and out in an industrial setting, it's a growing challenge to just show up and treat things as Business As Usual. Not everyone will get to just hole themselves up at home and still expect to get paid on the regular, and my heart goes out to them.

~lw3

Lol @ "I feel fine!"

As a consultant, I'm not sure if my onsite stuff will happen.  Firm debating canceling all travel.  Already canceled international travel.

But then how'm I supposed to tell these fools they're crooks or just bad at bidness?  It's what makes it fun.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't understand the panicked overshopping (especially of certain items) but I understand why in a sense....for weeks leading up to Wednesday's NBA debacle, you've been hearing stuff like .....'it's nothing to worry about, just the flu, hoax, it's a them problem', it's under control in the USA, curremt cases will be down to Zero, etc.....now in a matter of 2 days Rudy Gobert happened, NBA suspended, the entirety of the sports world is on pause, Gov't officials self quarantining, colleges transitioning to online learning, busines going to work from home, churches to onlines services, high and elementary schools out for 2 weeks going to virtual learning (what happens to the poorest kids that don't have and can't afford access or have a device).......and with two words National Emergency........this is why the supermarkets got overrun so quickly with thousands of people just trying to get just the basics for being home with kids and they themselves for at least the next two weeks. And it's not like a vacation sit at home and do nothing with the kids. I'll now have to do 6th grade math 😳 .

Lack of forethought, facts, planning and response leading up to Wednesday.........severely lacking, didn't afford most to plan and prepare accordingly.

Can someone explain the toilet paper frenzy, this is all I've found:

Screenshot_20200311-213116_Facebook.jpg

I think it's because these cities are talking about shutting everything down.  With the President already declaring a National Emergency, the feds and local authorities can institute things like curfews and close down businesses.  Hoboken, NJ ( outside of NYC ) will start doing this next week.

Also, we live in a capitalistic society, and some of those people who bought things in bulk, will see this as a money making opportunity.  I'm glad that the stores have started to limit the quantity that people can buy.  But some are skirting around that by having every family member do some shopping.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

My company staff serve the public and we have to be open because the law requires us to have the product.  I'm gonna monitor the situation and see how it goes.  Honestly I dont see a problem but like I say I will monitor the next few days.  

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, kg01 said:

international

They let you go overseas? What’s in it for them? 😐 I can’t believe you Fish n chipsin and Eiffel towering on the company’s peso! 

ps You see the wonder boy 👦 on any of those trips in the offseason I’m requesting a nut 🥜 flick in advance. See what you do is ur wind ur middle finger 🖕🏿 and connect it to the very edge of ur thumb. Once the target 🎯 is identified, in a forceful and quick manner you flick the aforementioned middle finger 🖕🏿 forward in an intentional manner to Luka’s left or right. Crucial here because you wanna just invade one ☝🏾 of them, it applies more pressure to the area.

..... life without sports. So I’m gonna start reading I guess 📚 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think it's because these cities are talking about shutting everything down.  With the President already declaring a National Emergency, the feds and local authorities can institute things like curfews and close down businesses.  Hoboken, NJ ( outside of NYC ) will start doing this next week.

Also, we live in a capitalistic society, and some of those people who bought things in bulk, will see this as a money making opportunity.  I'm glad that the stores have started to limit the quantity that people can buy.  But some are skirting around that by having every family member do some shopping.

Oh, I get that...I'm saying, the lead up to the NBA cancelling the season left most ill-prepared because the gravity wasn't clearly expressed prior.

• Like 3

A message from Rudy Gobert to all.  

"I wish I would have took this thing more seriously, and I hope everyone else is gonna do so, because we can do it together. Take care and stay safe."  

My number one rule right now is to stay the F*** away from Rudy Gobert. His agent will be hiring a much larger damage control team as the days carry on. That fits in with his new "us together" theme.  

• Like 1

Answers to questions:

- Many people stood in line coming back from foreign countries, or leaving to go back home.  -  Lines at airports last night were unacceptable.  Adjustments have been made at 12 of the major airports.  Average wait time down to 30 minutes, instead of 4 - 6 hours, like it was yesterday

- Will domestic travel be shut down?   - Look at all options concerning domestic air travel being possibly shut down

- Will "social distancing" be federally mandated if Americans don't voluntarily comply? - Everything the task force does, is at the direction of the President. Important to remember that Trump suspended all travel from China. American people can be confident that Trump will act without hesitation to keep people safe. . Dr. Fauci says he will put out guidelines, but not today.  Press asking about the closing of bars / restaurants, etc.  No answer until tomorrow.

- Focus is on widespread testing and flattening the curve.  Work to increase supplies of medical equipment. Must protect medical providers.

- When will information be made more accessible online?  How many test have been sent out to states?   - Working with Google and other tech companies to cite best practices for everyone.  Best estimate is that website will be up sometime early in the week.  Questionaire to see if you need a test.  Then to be able to find a facility and set a time to get tested.  Be able to call individuals who have been tested, so that they'll be able to hear yes or no if they have the virus.  1.9 million available tests will go up dramatically in the coming weeks.

- Markets are down, signaling we haven't done enough to address the economic impact.  Airlines and Cruise ships industry?  Paid sick leave? - Supports House legislation that gives small business flexibility on this issue.  No American worker should worry about missing a paycheck because they're ill.  Treasury secretary has been working hard.  We are in the first few innings of this effort.  Will be back in the morning and afternoon with briefing.  President is grateful to the Governors and health care workers. Americans should use "best practices" in using good hygiene. 

38 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

President's briefing:

- FED drops interest rates down to 0.25% ( virtually zero ).  Very happy

- Asks the news media to give the news correctly ( mainly concerning the Google website related to the Coronavirus )

- Naming off retail and food/supermarket CEOs.

- Telling people to relax on the panic buying . . . we're dong great . . it'll all will pass

- Stores will be re-stocked every 24 hours, retailers asking people to "buy a little bit less".  No shortages, but people are buying 3 to 5 times more than what they normally buy

- We have to watch and protect over the elderly

- Leaves without taking any questions, with the media going crazy shouting questions at him

Vice-President's briefing:

- Grateful to Governors all across the country

- Supply chain working just fine  . . stores will stay open throughout, but hours may be reduced for cleaning and supply

- Testing available in all 50 states . . using traditional methods as of right now ( only 40 - 60 tests a day )  . . which is the reason why we need high-speed testing

- Will have access to 2,000 labs across the country to process Coronavirus testing on Monday

- 10 states with drive-thru test sites currently

- Will possibly set up test sites outside of retail/supermarkets

- All Americans will be able to access test sites outside of their normal healthcare system

- All Coronavirus testing is FREE, for insured and uninsured.

- Important that the test is available for the ones most in need . . should only get a test if you think you may have Coronavirus ( i.e. - symptoms )

Admiral Burke's briefing:

- Most vulnerable is priority . . . don't want to have people going to actue care facilities to get tests . . . balance diagnosis 

- 1.9 MILLION tests available this week

- All 50 states have been contacted through the FEMA system to implement these tests

- Pod based test facilities can screen 2K - 4K people per day

- Focusing on 2 important groups . . . (1) healthcare workers and first responders . . and (2) the elderly - 65+ and fever of 99.6. Temperature lowered because most elderly don't have high fevers  . . ( lol . . I might have this shit forreal, I'm in my late 40s though  . .  current temp fluctuating between 98.8 and 99.4 )

Yeah, I disagree. I believe Trae should def be in the top 3 under the age of 25. 

Edited by AHawks89
  • Haha 3

I usually tend to lean on my eye 👁 test rather than stats for most of my NBA opinions. If I had an eye test equivalent to what’s going on with our world 🌎 karma wise with Corona everything else is:

We gotta be better to our world 🌎 as a society. Let’s treat Mother Earth 🌏 as if it were our real moms. Let’s just be better. Character is formed through adversity and we will get stronger as a whole. 🙏🏿 

Stay safe Squawk fam! ❤️ 

• Like 2

My daughter works for the university system and said that no students at any university school for two weeks was established last Friday and that could be extended but check this out. This morning a friend of hers that works for Mercer in Macon said that she had just gotten out of a meeting and they are looking at that campus probably shutting down for two months. Its beyond real now man.

This afternoon her school stated no more than two full time personnel per sub department at a time now until further notice. She is part of a fourteen person team. This is the university system at this very moment guys. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 3/14/2020 at 12:52 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't understand the panicked overshopping (especially of certain items) but I understand why in a sense....for weeks leading up to Wednesday's NBA debacle, you've been hearing stuff like .....'it's nothing to worry about, just the flu, hoax, it's a them problem', it's under control in the USA, curremt cases will be down to Zero, etc.....now in a matter of 2 days Rudy Gobert happened, NBA suspended, the entirety of the sports world is on pause, Gov't officials self quarantining, colleges transitioning to online learning, busines going to work from home, churches to onlines services, high and elementary schools out for 2 weeks going to virtual learning (what happens to the poorest kids that don't have and can't afford access or have a device).......and with two words National Emergency........this is why the supermarkets got overrun so quickly with thousands of people just trying to get just the basics for being home with kids and they themselves for at least the next two weeks. And it's not like a vacation sit at home and do nothing with the kids. I'll now have to do 6th grade math 😳 .

Lack of forethought, facts, planning and response leading up to Wednesday.........severely lacking, didn't afford most to plan and prepare accordingly.

Can someone explain the toilet paper frenzy, this is all I've found:

Screenshot_20200311-213116_Facebook.jpg

On 3/14/2020 at 7:15 PM, Spud2nique said:

It’s insane. How much do you use the bathroom to hoard all that toilet paper 🧻. Plus as a society it shows greed that your only thinking of yourself and stocking up. We need to take what we need and stop hoarding. 

I am not saying this isn’t serious but people out there acting extreme. They bought all the pasta 🍝 and ground beef too. 😳 

People are using it to make their own sanitizing wipes since those are gone too. Toilet paper or paper towel soaked in bleach or rubbing alcohol.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

My biggest issue with the hysteria is that flu season has happened every single year for decades now, yet has caused no widespread panic, no trampling people for essentials, no shutting down sports leagues, or self-quarentines, but we're treating corona differently? Estimated 36 million illnesses from influenza, yet no hysteria? Y'all trippin'.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Also, another thing that irritates me is we as fans PRAISED the likes of Michael Jordan and others for "flu games" and playing with illnesses, yet now were shutting down the NBA due to Rudy Gobert? Should players and coaches even be allowed in the arena if they have an illness?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is definitely undeserved panic but this isn't the flu and should be treated differently.  It is why every nation on earth has treated it differently.  China didn't shut down its entire economy in affected regions because of media hysteria.  Up to nearly 2000 deaths in Italy alone with the numbers rising almost exponentially.  Mass graves large enough they can be seen from space being dug in Iran.  People should keep their heads about them but be planning to minimize their risk.  It is very serious for anyone with an impaired immune system.

And it's coming out that even healthy people may require hospitalization and we don't have enough capacity, enough respirators.  Word in italy is they are basically choosing who gets treatment based on chances of survival.    It's just a numbers game.  Way more people will require treatment than with the flu so we have no choice but to try to stop the spread.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AHF said:

There is definitely undeserved panic but this isn't the flu and should be treated differently.  It is why every nation on earth has treated it differently.  China didn't shut down its entire economy in affected regions because of media hysteria.  Up to nearly 2000 deaths in Italy alone with the numbers rising almost exponentially.  Mass graves large enough they can be seen from space being dug in Iran.  People should keep their heads about them but be planning to minimize their risk.  It is very serious for anyone with an impaired immune system.

What we have here is the "Kobiyashi Maru" scenario.  I think shutting businesses down for just two weeks will only postpone the inevitable.  It is not enough time, even if the public exercises good judgment.   However, shutting businesses down will mean people don't get paid, and they can't afford it, as many people live paycheck to paycheck.  I would have never thought that a viral infection could effectively destroy our economy,  but I was wrong, evidently.  I do think the press has magnified this disease to an excessive level, and created panic in the process.  You end up either dying, or wishing you had died, as society and the economy begins to fall apart.

• Like 1