• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Sadly, you won't have to wait 1 month, not even 1 week for the numbers to double....but just 3 days:

10,684 reported positive cases, 154 deaths😩

It was expected, more testing = more positive results

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/16/816707182/map-tracking-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

If NBA players are testing positive, in all actuality millions of people will probably test positive. Many young, healthy people are completely asymptomatic. 

13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

If NBA players are testing positive, in all actuality millions of people will probably test positive. Many young, healthy people are completely asymptomatic. 

A lot of them aren't though.  A lot of them actually have symptoms.  They're just able to fight through that rough week of sickness.  The older people, and people with other things wrong with them, aren't.

Right now, 48% of the people who have COVID-19 in Tennessee, are between the ages of 21 - 40.

By the way, here's why the world's leaders and doctors are freaking out about this.  Every network in the country should probably show this video to people, so that they can see what this can really look like in just a few months.

• Sad 2

• Premium Member

😳

Kelly Loeffler, Republican senator from Georgia and part owner of the WNBA's Atlanta Dream, reportedly sold between $1.2 million and $3.1 million worth of stock over three weeks beginning on the day of a closed-door briefing on COVID-19.

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

crooks.  there are 5 of them already that have done this.

It's going to be a lot more of them too that did this.  I wouldn't be surprised if every CEO of a major corporation and 80% of political leaders did this.  They're the ones who triggered the markets falling, while telling the average person to not panic and keep your money in the stock market.   I'm shocked the markets are steady right now.

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No issues for me.  Still feels like I got a little something in my throat.  Other than that, I'm good.  I'm a firm believe in combining medicine with natural things to heal me up.  So I'm good right now.  I'd say 95%.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Tested positive, recovered, tested negative and then tested positive again later.

That is quite horrifying so am hoping it is the possibility of questionable testing being inaccurate in the first place and has been corrected by now. A pandemic is such a fearsome enemy.

• Like 1

All the tiny restaurants in Americus seem to always be treading water in the first place and several come and go every two or so years but am really fearful for them with all this. Don't see them surviving any extended down time. Virus will change the urban landscape of business in a ton of places do believe.

• Sad 4

Thoughts on the whole 'herd immunity' concept?  I think that's what it's called.  Basically let everybody get it, just get it over with.  And treat people accordingly.  As opposed to hiding from it and causing the panic that's coming.

I think the thinking is that there will be more strife, conflict, death, destruction, etc. via the panic than even the virus itself will wreak on us.

Sounds bad but I think it has some merit.  As @Thomas alluded to, lots of small businesses are going to be significantly impacted by us isolating.  May not recover.  Only the major corps can withstand this.  Imagine a world where the only restaurants are freaking mcdonald's of the world.

Americus has now confirmed its first positive case as has the county next to us. Four have passed away in Albany (the county just south of us) from it as of this morning so its beginning to expand down here.

https://www.wtvm.com/2020/03/20/sumter-co-worth-co-sees-first-cases-covid-coronavirus/

Make that two confirmed cases as of this moment this afternoon. About to order "Doomsday Preppers" series off Amazon pretty soon looks like.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Thoughts on the whole 'herd immunity' concept?  I think that's what it's called.  Basically let everybody get it, just get it over with.  And treat people accordingly.  As opposed to hiding from it and causing the panic that's coming.

I think the thinking is that there will be more strife, conflict, death, destruction, etc. via the panic than even the virus itself will wreak on us.

Sounds bad but I think it has some merit.  As @Thomas alluded to, lots of small businesses are going to be significantly impacted by us isolating.  May not recover.  Only the major corps can withstand this.  Imagine a world where the only restaurants are freaking mcdonald's of the world.

Herd immunity is usually achieved with vaccines ideally where you get the virus in a weakened state with, usually, minimum to no symptoms.  Just letting everybody get it would beoverwhelming to our healthcare system and be way worse than the measures being taken now.  There needs to be a flattening of the curve to give research time for treatments, medical supplies to be produced, and ultimately a vaccine.  Plus, this virus could mutate a strain that gets widely spread and may be worse and need a new vaccine.  So as much as it sucks, the social distancing and proper hygiene  is really the best we can do for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Eddielives said:

Herd immunity is usually achieved with vaccines ideally where you get the virus in a weakened state with, usually, minimum to no symptoms.  Just letting everybody get it would beoverwhelming to our healthcare system and be way worse than the measures being taken now.  There needs to be a flattening of the curve to give research time for treatments, medical supplies to be produced, and ultimately a vaccine.  Plus, this virus could mutate a strain that gets widely spread and may be worse and need a new vaccine.  So as much as it sucks, the social distancing and proper hygiene  is really the best we can do for now.

man.  Note that I work in the field.  I am pretty sure that I have cv, btw.  For me, not much of a threat.  f it.  I don't feel that bad; no short term memory for about a week, but physically ok.

In terms of the herd immunity concept, moronically described above(man... sigh....), the concept is that if 60% of the population has had it, it can't readily spread further.  Most people have  immunity, so they can't pick it up and spread it to the others.  friggin moronic description above in most every way.  man.  Trust me, my short term memory is shot, but my iq still beats eddie.

a/w good luck to everyone.  the world isn't going to end.

• Like 1

Albany, Georgia. Small town - Big problem. 38 positive tests now at that hospital with six fatalities. 57 confirmed cases in the Southwest area down here. Jeepers man.

State and federal officials are dispatching epidemiologists to Dougherty County, which has fast emerged as an epicenter of coronavirus cases in Georgia with 38 confirmed infections and six deaths linked to the disease.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/jamie-dupree/albany-becomes-unlikely-coronavirus-hot-spot-georgia/awWuEilTxM3NYlX3hhiZXN/

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

Albany, Georgia. Small town - Big problem. 38 positive tests now at that hospital with six fatalities. 57 confirmed cases in the Southwest area down here. Jeepers man.

State and federal officials are dispatching epidemiologists to Dougherty County, which has fast emerged as an epicenter of coronavirus cases in Georgia with 38 confirmed infections and six deaths linked to the disease.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/jamie-dupree/albany-becomes-unlikely-coronavirus-hot-spot-georgia/awWuEilTxM3NYlX3hhiZXN/

The young people in Albany really need to tell their parents and grandparents ( who may not have the internet ), just how serious this disease can potentially be.  I think too many people believe that it affects the old people only.  Older people may be the ones dying from this, but a lot of young people are getting sick off of this.  Sick enough to keep them out of work.  I'm kind of surprised that they're just now closing Albany State.

As for getting tests, the process is kind of a joke ( at least in my state ).  Where I live, you basically have to be exhibiting ALL 3 major symptoms ( fever, cough, shortness of breath ).  People are being turned away because they maybe only had 2 out of the 3.  I feel great today other than some congestion in my nose, but I couldn't get a test either.

They keep saying that asymptomatic people can pass on this virus, yet, they don't want to test everyone to see who might be a carrier or not.  That's mixed messaging to me.  If you want to test the worst off people, that's cool with me.  But don't go around and then tell people that if you just have minor or mild symptoms, that you can't take a test.

• Thanks 3

19 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

As for getting tests, the process is kind of a joke ( at least in my state ).  Where I live, you basically have to be exhibiting ALL 3 major symptoms ( fever, cough, shortness of breath ).  People are being turned away because they maybe only had 2 out of the 3.  I feel great today other than some congestion in my nose, but I couldn't get a test either.

They keep saying that asymptomatic people can pass on this virus, yet, they don't want to test everyone to see who might be a carrier or not.  That's mixed messaging to me.  If you want to test the worst off people, that's cool with me.  But don't go around and then tell people that if you just have minor or mild symptoms, that you can't take a test.

We were cursed from the get go when Beloved Leader canned the pandemic department and on two different occasions cut heavy funding to the CDC and consistently ignored intel. But with what we know now there should not be such a Keystone Kops functionality issue everywhere. Enough of his delivering misinformation you know. Hopefully the military getting in on producing supplies can make a real difference moving forward. Am expecting heavy casualties overall though. NIH predicting possibly 70k infected by next weekend.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/nih-director-70k-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-us-end/story?id=69717284

• Like 3

• Moderators

I like my crow cooked medium, thank you. 😕 I never thought it’d get this out of control. I’ve been checking the John Hopkins COVID-19 real-time tracker every day and numbers keep soaring by the thousands... I thought for sure it would have tapered off by now. Unreal. People were storming Walmart this morning as soon as the time cracked over 7 and people were fighting for groceries from bare shelves. I got my normal weekly supply while people were pushing carts and had their kids pushing another one behind them. I nearly got ran over by a soccer mom pushing a cart full. I understand being nervous and cautious, but I’ll never understand people who freak out with panic and fear. The day I realized that I’m a mere speck of dust to the vastness of the universe is the day I stopped giving a shit. If I go, I go. I am taking extra precautions—washing my hands more than normal, Lysoling the workspace twice a day, keeping my distance, only going out when I need to, and drinking juice with vitamin-C, but I’m not letting this pandemic control my life or emotions. I’m still going to restaurants and hardware stores.

• Like 3