• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

44 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Rapid testing is a great solution to a lot of this.  i just don't know the feasibility of it.   We'd be talking about huge numbers of tests to do it widespread and GA can't really test anyone right now.

This is old news relatively. It might still not be at ideal levels, but last week I was reading about how the big hospitals in the state have all partnered up and are working on ramping up testing a bunch and the ramp up started as of last week (and now I see an article about how AU Health has taken a few Albany patients). In fact, this is how I know that Augusta's test numbers are probably closer to accurate than some cases (maybe not dead on, but closer than some cases). The big hospital in the city has been rolling for a while with testing. There's just over 200 positive combined between all of the major hospitals, but for the combined area in GA (as some probably came from other counties), that's actually not a whole lot for the second biggest city in the state and bordering counties IMHO.

Edited by Lurker

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This is old news relatively. It might still not be at ideal levels, but last week I was reading about how the big hospitals in the state have all partnered up and are working on ramping up testing a bunch and the ramp up started as of last week (and now I see an article about how AU Health has taken a few Albany patients). In fact, this is how I know that Augusta's test numbers are probably closer to accurate than some cases (maybe not dead on, but closer than some cases). The big hospital in the city has been rolling for a while with testing. There's just over 200 positive combined between all of the major hospitals, but for the combined area in GA (as some probably came from other counties), that's actually not a whole lot for the second biggest city in the state and bordering counties IMHO.

No doubt that there is a lot of effort going toward improving the situation but we are still way behind in GA (and really the world).   The idea that anyone can get a test is a long, long way from reality.   This is AJC today:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/rapid-virus-tests-come-atlanta-testing-slowly-ramps/9cywuAPIcL3PEYouFOvwbI/

Tests remain rationed in Georgia for the very sick and those most at risk of infection, such as residents of long-term care facilities and nursing homes and those on the front lines of the emergency, such medical workers and first responders.

And it is unclear when tests might be made available to a broader segment of the public.

As of noon Monday, state and commercial labs had processed 31,274 tests in Georgia combined. On a per capita basis, Georgia ranked 45th among the 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, according to an AJC analysis of testing data from the COVID Tracking Project.

• Sad 3

30 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

As of noon Monday, state and commercial labs had processed 31,274 tests in Georgia combined. On a per capita basis, Georgia ranked 45th among the 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, according to an AJC analysis of testing data from the COVID Tracking Project.

And we are the home of the CDC....seems really odd. 

Last summer I commented on how classy it was of the Hawks to pay Bruno Fernando more than his slot and more up front. Specifically talking about how most of these rookies are having to buy a lifetime worth of stuff year one to set up a new place, be safe, etc. It would appear C.J. McCollum wants you to be empathetic too.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cj-mccollum-suggests-150-nba-211343398.html

"I think a lot of guys are going to be hurting especially people on minimums or people that didn't just budget correctly and didn't expect this to happen. Maybe they loaned money or paid money to family. Maybe they're taking care of multiple people and now there's a work stoppage and for a lot of people in America. -- CJ McCollum said on ‘The Boardroom'   "

I think this is an interesting take on how much of a business disrupter this is....its trickle down economics at Macro-scale.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Will definitely impact a lot of professional athletes because way too many of them don't budget well and overextend themselves figuring the money is just going to keep flowing and increasing for the foreseeable future.  Works out for some.  Others find themselves desperate not long into their career or make all the money anyone could have expected for them but still aren't ready when it ends.  This disruption will hit a lot of Americans but major league level professional athletes are not at the top of my list to worry about even if they do blow their budget.

• Premium Member

Tell you what I dont understand in my area.  The local govt is saying all these cases are coming up daily yet the ER are empty.  I know nurses that work at all the local ER rooms in Chattanooga and they are saying they have cut their hours and have never seen the ERs as empty as they are now.  Personal friend of mine is is a physician and he said he has been talking with other physicians he knows and the numbers are not adding up.  They are trying to find out where the local govt are getting their numbers.  

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Tell you what I dont understand in my area.  The local govt is saying all these cases are coming up daily yet the ER are empty.  I know nurses that work at all the local ER rooms in Chattanooga and they are saying they have cut their hours and have never seen the ERs as empty as they are now.  Personal friend of mine is is a physician and he said he has been talking with other physicians he knows and the numbers are not adding up.  They are trying to find out where the local govt are getting their numbers.  

That's interesting but at least in Atlanta the folks i know at hospitals are reporting a lot of C19 cases.

The ERs should be emptier in some places because everyone is sitting at home vs. falling off ladders and stuff.  

I'd love for this to be overreaction but at least in some places it definitely isn't.  It'd be nice if the folks who need treatment could go to these under utilized hospitals rather than dying in an overcrowded one.     

• Like 3

Believe what the ER in Albany is dealing with is in line with what most folks are in fear of dealing with day to day. Pushing 70,000 residents. Reported by the Phoebe hospital system.  

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 @ 1:03 p.m. -

Phoebe Reports Tuesday COVID-19 Numbers

Albany, Ga. – As of noon Tuesday, these were all Phoebe-related COVID-19 test results:

• Total Positive Results – 1,505
  • Total Positive Deaths from Phoebe Main – 45
  • Total Positive Deaths from Phoebe Sumter – 7
  • Total Positive Patients in Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital – 131
  • Total Positive Patients in Phoebe Sumter Medical Center - 26
  • Total Positive Patients in Phoebe Worth Medical Center – 0
  • Total Patients Awaiting Test Results – 487
  • Total Negative Results – 2,247
  • Total Patients Recovered – 540

5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

No doubt that there is a lot of effort going toward improving the situation but we are still way behind in GA (and really the world).   The idea that anyone can get a test is a long, long way from reality.   This is AJC today:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/rapid-virus-tests-come-atlanta-testing-slowly-ramps/9cywuAPIcL3PEYouFOvwbI/

They're at over 5000 a day now. Antibody tests will provide more clarity. I think my area specifically is over 3000 now but there's multiple major hospitals. There really hasn't been a lot of visits to the virtual screener (with at least one major hospital), so at least for one major area the tests that are positive are probably closer to accurate than you'd think.

CDC botched their first testing kit and spent too long messing with that. 

3 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

You dont go to the hospital unless your symptoms are sever..Kaiser(who I have) is telling everyone to self isolate unless youre having trouble breathing. So basically, if you can breathe, self isolate for 14 days. So anyone thats feeling ill(me and my wife) doesnt know if they have a bad cold, the flu, or Corona. smh. THe wifey has a fever with cough, headache, I have chest congestion, no fever. CRazy times....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

A key factor driving the large estimate was a crucial assumption, discussed internally by task force officials, that only 50% of Americans would observe the government's stringent social distancing guidelines, the source said. That calculation was not shared widely. In reality, a much larger number -- 90% -- is observing the government's guidelines, US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams said in several interviews this week.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/politics/white-house-coronavirus-death-projections/index.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yes, as I have stated Fauci et al. use projections based on worst case scenarios. I guess that's their job, because the worst could happen. But I have a feeling many in the know are cautiously optimistic that things are not that bad, and we are on track for a return to normalcy relatively soon. 

4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Yes, as I have stated Fauci et al. use projections based on worst case scenarios. I guess that's their job, because the worst could happen. But I have a feeling many in the know are cautiously optimistic that things are not that bad, and we are on track for a return to normalcy relatively soon. 

I would caution against the "normalcy" statement.  I think it's imperative that people understand that when/if schools reopen in Fall and the vast majority of restrictions on social/physical distancing are removed, we will still, as a society, need to use critical judgment to identify, isolate, and prevent a recurrence from happening.  This isn't going away and there's still a lot of time before we will have  effective treatments and a vaccine.  Best case scenario, our bodies adapt to this virus and it becomes, along with vaccines and treatments, more of a nuisance than the deadly force it is now.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Bear in mind as well in many places doctors simply won't see you unless the situation is extreme.  In my area - which has positive cases but is not considered to be a high risk area - a woman I know fell and got a hip fracture.  She went to the hospital but was sent home and told to basically take bed rest until they could get back to her and do surgery at an undefined time later this year.  

My wife has an issue with a tooth right and was told by her dentist (who isn't seeing patients) that her only options are bear it at home or make an appointment with a surgeon to pull the tooth (and that she may not be able to get a surgeon for this).

There is no doubt that normal healthcare is not happening right now for a lot of people.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I haven't seen NYC close to how it is right now since right after 9/11.  I went down myself early March 27th after having to roam the streets as an essential worker.  Had high fever, cough, all the etceteras, called my symptoms into work they told me to stay home but I need a positive test so that none of my regular sick days are touched. 

March 30th cough worsened, called up 311 and my insurance about where I should go, I'm told hospitals are all at capacity for severe cases so head to an urgent care first.  Walked in an urgent care and waited about 2 hours to be seen.  They were hesitant to test because kits are being saved for severe cases but decided to run a chest X-Ray.  Images came back showing I was basically down a whole lung to pneumonia and only then did I get a test. 

They asked if I needed an ambulance to the hospital, I declined, figured some old lady would need the bed more and decided to thug it out at home, worse case scenario I'm only 5 minutes from a hospital.  They gave me a script for everything under the sun and sent me on my way.  April 8th I'm fully recovered but still haven't gotten results back from my test.  It is quite a show in this city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

24 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

I haven't seen NYC close to how it is right now since right after 9/11.  I went down myself early March 27th after having to roam the streets as an essential worker.  Had high fever, cough, all the etceteras, called my symptoms into work they told me to stay home but I need a positive test so that none of my regular sick days are touched. 

March 30th cough worsened, called up 311 and my insurance about where I should go, I'm told hospitals are all at capacity for severe cases so head to an urgent care first.  Walked in an urgent care and waited about 2 hours to be seen.  They were hesitant to test because kits are being saved for severe cases but decided to run a chest X-Ray.  Images came back showing I was basically down a whole lung to pneumonia and only then did I get a test. 

They asked if I needed an ambulance to the hospital, I declined, figured some old lady would need the bed more and decided to thug it out at home, worse case scenario I'm only 5 minutes from a hospital.  They gave me a script for everything under the sun and sent me on my way.  April 8th I'm fully recovered but still haven't gotten results back from my test.  It is quite a show in this city.

Ah man, not the ma$e!  Wait, prove this isn't Consuela hijacking ma$e's account.  Tell me something only ma$e would know.  How many fingers is @Spud2nique holding up at Curry right now.  The real ma$e would know.

Seriously though, glad you're doing better and I hate you had to deal with all that.  Scary stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2