• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, MaceCase said:

April 8th I'm fully recovered but still haven't gotten results back from my test.

Very glad you have recovered. Know a bit about that pneumonia stuff and realize it takes out folks often. Scary.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MaceCase said:

I haven't seen NYC close to how it is right now since right after 9/11.  I went down myself early March 27th after having to roam the streets as an essential worker.  Had high fever, cough, all the etceteras, called my symptoms into work they told me to stay home but I need a positive test so that none of my regular sick days are touched. 

March 30th cough worsened, called up 311 and my insurance about where I should go, I'm told hospitals are all at capacity for severe cases so head to an urgent care first.  Walked in an urgent care and waited about 2 hours to be seen.  They were hesitant to test because kits are being saved for severe cases but decided to run a chest X-Ray.  Images came back showing I was basically down a whole lung to pneumonia and only then did I get a test. 

They asked if I needed an ambulance to the hospital, I declined, figured some old lady would need the bed more and decided to thug it out at home, worse case scenario I'm only 5 minutes from a hospital.  They gave me a script for everything under the sun and sent me on my way.  April 8th I'm fully recovered but still haven't gotten results back from my test.  It is quite a show in this city.

Our testing is in an incompetent state right now.  Ideal state would be testing everyone in the country and isolating all positive cases.  We can't even test all the highly symptomatic right now.  Again, we look so bad compared to the countries leading the pack on control.  Disorganized and not even close to fully utilizing the resources we have.  

We need to get our **** together right now.  Federal coordination of the efforts is step 1.  Need every potential producer converting to manufacturing testing and pandemic experts deciding on national policy for quarantining.  State by state does not work (it is better than nothing but it is inadequate).  This is not a state issue.

image.png

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Our testing is in an incompetent state right now.  Ideal state would be testing everyone in the country and isolating all positive cases.  We can't even test all the highly symptomatic right now.  Again, we look so bad compared to the countries leading the pack on control.  Disorganized and not even close to fully utilizing the resources we have.  

We need to get our **** together right now.  Federal coordination of the efforts is step 1.  Need every potential producer converting to manufacturing testing and pandemic experts deciding on national policy for quarantining.  State by state does not work (it is better than nothing but it is inadequate).  This is not a state issue.

image.png

And for NBA basketball to come back there has to be widely available, reliable testing. Hopefully in 4 weeks time some progress will be made on that front. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

And for NBA basketball to come back there has to be widely available, reliable testing. Hopefully in 4 weeks time some progress will be made on that front. 

Available enough as well that you can bypass using them for people with medical issues.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

NBA has the money and resources to get just about anything, if they are willing to live with the questionable optics.

That is fair.  They could probably go buy some from a country that has done a better job ramping up and be able to say they aren't taking any off the table from hospitals.  Still could play a bit rough depending on where numbers are.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Update: my results just got phoned in.  Proved what we already knew but man it's not a good look that labs require 5-7days and yet are still maintaining regular business days during a crisis.

Sounds like you've done all the right things in isolating and very happy that you're well down the road to a full recovery, @MaceCase.  (I'm assuming you didn't go to the gym and swim in a public pool like certain politicians while awaiting your testing results.)

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, AHF said:

Sounds like you've done all the right things in isolating and very happy that you're well down the road to a full recovery, @MaceCase.  (I'm assuming you didn't go to the gym and swim in a public pool like certain politicians while awaiting your testing results.)

I just spat out my pedialyte.  I could barely pick up packages left at my door last week to imagine going to the gym while I was waiting.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MaceCase said:

I just spat out my pedialyte.  I could barely pick up packages left at my door last week to imagine going to the gym while I was waiting.  

To be fair, our responsible congressman was not suffering at the time like you have been.  Just didn't give a **** about exposing other people since he was feeling up to a nice trip to the gym.

I'm just glad you are improving!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, AHF said:

Bear in mind as well in many places doctors simply won't see you unless the situation is extreme.  In my area - which has positive cases but is not considered to be a high risk area - a woman I know fell and got a hip fracture.  She went to the hospital but was sent home and told to basically take bed rest until they could get back to her and do surgery at an undefined time later this year.  

My wife has an issue with a tooth right and was told by her dentist (who isn't seeing patients) that her only options are bear it at home or make an appointment with a surgeon to pull the tooth (and that she may not be able to get a surgeon for this).

There is no doubt that normal healthcare is not happening right now for a lot of people.

That's a great point.

In my area, our COVID19 cases are increasing, and even have had 2 people pass away in the last 4 days.  But the hospital itself isn't overrun with patients and the ER is virtually clear.

My aunt had to have minimal surgery to remove a kidney stone. Normally, they'd have someone come in the day before, stay the night at the hospital, and may keep them 2 days to relax and recover.  For her, they took her in and immediately did the procedure, kept her overnight, and let her go the next day.  Then they brought her back in 3 days later to remove some sort of "bag".  They did that, and got her right out of there.

• Thanks 1

Down here with the Phoebe system there are no elective surgeries at any location right now and it has been that way since early March. They are even including cataract surgery in this cut as an example. Albany is hard hit and they have been bringing in CNA nurses to help in what normally would be positions they are not qualified for so not every area is the same situation. Americus has not had anywhere near the patients Albany has had so am grateful for that. These two town sizes are very different so am hoping our fatalities stay down with our being so much smaller and there has been drive thru testing here for several days now to help.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

I missed a couple days on here, but the state has opened up an Abbott Labs-style drive-thru testing site at Georgia Tech for registrants pre-approved online, via a CVS Minute Clinic website. The multi-level parking deck off 10th and State Streets near Shaq's Papa John's is the location for those approved by CVS for testing.

No walk-up testing will be allowed, to protect workers. Only those who have pre-registered and been screened online can drive to the test site, at a Georgia Tech parking deck, where they must stay in their vehicles.

Multiple lanes of vehicles will be serviced at one time, the state said.

“Increased access to rapid testing remains one of our top priorities in order to identify more cases, get Georgians the care they need, and prevent further infection in our communities,” [Governor] Kemp said in the press release. “This unique, public-private partnership will strengthen our testing capability as we continue to take the fight to COVID-19 in Georgia, and we are grateful for CVS Health’s support to stop the spread of the virus.”

Health care providers, including nurse practitioners and physician assistants from MinuteClinic, CVS Health’s retail medical clinic, will be onsite to oversee testing, the state confirmed. The process will take approximately 30 minutes from specimen collection to delivery of results.

Cobb County, as per state DPH data, has been above the state average in reported deaths per capita for many days. Marietta Daily Journal details some post-screening test sites at Marietta's Jim Miller Park (open since mid-March), and at Tech here:

https://www.mdjonline.com/news/state-opens-30-minute-drive-thru-covid-19-testing-at-georgia-tech/article_7ffad946-780b-11ea-8a3d-9f16c95b5751.html

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

~lw3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Easy explanation.

The ER is usually the place to go for people who have accidents, whether it be at home or especially out on the road.  Or a place where people without insurance or a primary care physician, go to get help.

With all of the stay at home orders, there are less cars out on the road, and hardly anybody out at night.  

The bars and nightclubs are closed, which on the weekends are another source from where an injury may need a trip to the ER.

Crime, since all of this has happened, is down all over America by almost 25% - 30% in some areas.  Even our governor said that when he issued the stay at home order last week, traffic was starting to uptick after being down as much as 40% - 50% in most of the metro areas.

No sports are being played, not even at parks, because most are closed, so here are no injuries happening on the playground.

And some of the other things that people may go to the ER for ( body aches, toothaches, stomach pain, etc ), might be still happening . . but people might be SCARED to go to the hospital, if they're full of COVID19 patients.  So if it's not severe enough, they may try to deal with it a little more than normal.

It's crazy to say, but as many lives as the virus has taken so far, how may lives have been saved or people being kept from injury, because they're not doing dangerous activities or not being out at night?

Your 10,000 Dow prediction is not aging to well.

• Like 1

• Moderators

https://nypost.com/2020/04/08/fred-klein-the-knicks-most-loyal-fan-dies-of-coronavirus/

Fred Klein, the longest-tenured Knicks season-ticket holder dating to 1959, died Saturday of coronavirus, his wife Terry told The Post.

Klein, who lived in Manhattan his entire life, was 85. He caught the coronavirus in a nursing home, though originally it was deemed just pneumonia, his wife said.

Long before there was Spike Lee, Klein was known to associates as the “Knicks SuperFan.”

Klein also was a former co-owner of the Carnegie Deli and grew close to Knicks legend and MSG Network analyst Walt Frazier, helping him launch his restaurant “Clyde’s Wine and Dine.”

Though he was too ill to use his tickets the past couple of seasons, Klein, who had Alzheimer’s, diligently watched every Knicks game on television until this season, his wife said.

~lw3

• Sad 2