• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should Hawks Bring in Brett Brown?

RedDawg#8

Not for nothing but, Lloyd and Brett Spent 5 seasons together in Philly.

Brown comes from Pops tree and was on the Spurs bench for 4 of their championship teams, spending a total of 12 seasons as a Assistant/Player Development coach.

Obviously he deserves some blame for the Sixers underachieving but maybe as an assistant again he could provide some additional expertise to the Hawks coaching staff.

He has just as good of a track record at developing young talent as Lloyd does and could be an asset as a new voice that still shares the same core beliefs as LP.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

If this is his calling card then no!

I mean honestly, it just seems like he was a good organizational dude to have around, kind of like Quinn Synder was for us. Helps improve the fringe guys to become solid NBA players.

"he again took a position with the Spurs, this time as the team's director of player development. Buford credited him with focusing attention on the team's lesser-known players, creating a consistently strong bench; this philosophy would continue to benefit the Spurs even after Brown left his role as player development director. He was promoted to assistant coach in September 2007, working under coach Gregg Popovich. Popovich calls Brown "one of his best friends," and Brown would later incorporate many of Popovich's concepts into his own offensive system. He played a major role in signing Australian guard Patty Mills, who played under him for the Australian national team. Brown was a member of the Spurs organization for four of their championship-winning seasons."

Sixers point guard Michael Carter-Williams won the NBA Rookie of the Year Award in 2014, and credited Brown for helping him win the award and grow as a player.[17]
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking hindsight is 20/20, and he has a lot of first hand experience that could help us avoid the same missteps the Sixers made, considering we are kind of on the same path as they were when he arrived.

Idk, just a thought

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

As an assistant, sure

As an assistant yes, I hope that was clear in my OP.

I definitely was not pushing for him to come be our Head Coach. Gawd no lol

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Heyul nawl.  He's a horrible coach and always has been.  That he wasn't fired years ago is a minor miracle.  Who has he ever developed, btw?

Credited for the Spurs bench during their championship teams, (remember all those no names that would out play everyone else's starters?)

The Spurs used to get the most out of guys I had never even heard of. Their system would turn 2nd round picks and undrafted guys in to solid NBA pros. One of the most fundamentally sound teams ever. He was Director of Player Development during that golden era for them 

Personally I wouldn’t mind it! I think highly of coach pop and he seems to have nothing but great things to say about Brett Brown...which shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone!...if brown truly knew nothing I don’t think pop keeps him around so long people.

perhaps brown is just a better assistant coach than he is leading the pack ! And there’s nothing wrong with that! Some are meant to assist while others are meant to lead.

i think it would strengthen LPs coaching staff ...no matter how much Brett gets joked on, NO ONE can tell me he doesn’t have some smarts when it comes to the nba. If the guy was as bad as fans and some media  say ain’t no way he stays on Pops staff including championship years at that .

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Credited for the Spurs bench during their championship teams, (remember all those no names that would out play everyone else's starters?)

The Spurs used to get the most out of guys I had never even heard of. Their system would turn 2nd round picks and undrafted guys in to solid NBA pros. One of the most fundamentally sound teams ever. He was Director of Player Development during that golden era for them 

Eh, that's been the case since he left too.  In fact, every Spur coach is credited with this "development" moniker.  They can't all be the source of it.

• Moderators

I wouldn't be opposed to him as an assistant.  Would not want him as the "next coach up" if LP craps the bed next season.  But if LP wants him on board and he is willing to take a supporting role, then why not?  Woody had success as an assistant.  Sometimes guys are better in that role.

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

I wouldn't be opposed to him as an assistant.  Would not want him as the "next coach up" if LP craps the bed next season.  But if LP wants him on board and he is willing to take a supporting role, then why not?  Woody had success as an assistant.  Sometimes guys are better in that role.

Yes, exactly my point.