• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft Grades / Analysis

AHF

• Premium Member

It seems like every poor grade are based on the misunderstanding that the draft is how we are still getting better. Draft talent and fill needs with FA and Trade, especially at Wing and Guard where we have the talent upside but need stability (vets).

• Premium Member
Just now, ShooterSays said:

It's almost painful reading through some of these draft analyses and seeing how blatant it is that these writers have absolutely 0 clue about the Hawks.

"The Hawks have Clint Capela already as a defense-first center to protect the rim." 

BUT YET,

"In terms of fit, I liked Tyrese Haliburton here."

Sooooo you don't think we should have picked Okongwu because we already have Capela, but think we should have picked Hali EVEN THOUGH we already have a bona fide stud in Trae Young at the point...

Most of these guys just don't want to be wrong in what they initially think a franchise should do and it goes against that. They can't reconcile it.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 11/19/2020 at 10:32 AM, Sothron said:

I have some thoughts on this. The kid is the best defensive big man in the draft. Yes, we have Capella. It NEVER hurts to have elite defensive big men on a roster. The more the better. You do NOT know when injuries happen. 

I also have to point out the obvious: if Big O shows he's ready to start and is NBA elite then Capella becomes a trade piece. There is nothing wrong with that. Some of these bad draft grades are only talking about how he doesn't fit because we have Collins and Capella. There is no further logic applied to take into account injuries, rotation minutes for both C and PF and that Big O can play with either one of our starting bigs.

The reason we drafted the guy is because he was hands down the best player on our board, and if that's the case than definitely Schlenk saw this as a move that could lead to mroe moves considering the cuasi-log jam at the frontcourt with JC and Capella as no doubt about it starters. The way I see it Collins has one more season to prove he is worth the max, and if he does not and Okonguw shows he can project to be an elite defensive option at the PF position than we may move Collins or let him walk. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

The reason we drafted the guy is because he was hands down the best player on our board, and if that's the case than definitely Schlenk saw this as a move that could lead to mroe moves considering the cuasi-log jam at the frontcourt with JC and Capella as no doubt about it starters. The way I see it Collins has one more season to prove he is worth the max, and if he does not and Okonguw shows he can project to be an elite defensive option at the PF position than we may move Collins or let him walk. 

With how little trade value the 6th pick had this year, it's a smart move. 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I had Haliburton at the top of my draft shopping list. I had Christian Wood at the top of my free agency shopping list.

Have learned to always give Schlenk the benefit of a doubt when it comes to the draft. (Not as much free agency.)

This must be what it would have felt like as a kid, unwrapping a Christmas gift, but being told you have to wait a month before you can play with it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, sturt said:

I had Haliburton at the top of my draft shopping list. I had Christian Wood at the top of my free agency shopping list.

Have learned to always give Schlenk the benefit of a doubt when it comes to the draft. (Not as much free agency.)

This must be what it would have felt like as a kid, unwrapping a Christmas gift, but being told you have to wait a month before you can play with it.

There has to be some type of red flag on his sheet to explain the lack of interest.  He was someone I also wanted in FA and he seems to have come out swinging this season.  Looking great.

• Like 1

hace 13 minutos, AHF dijo:

There has to be some type of red flag on his sheet to explain the lack of interest.  He was someone I also wanted in FA and he seems to have come out swinging this season.  Looking great.

I stated that several times as well, Wood was the best big FA out there and I was feeling he could be signed 15m$ that finnally was the price. Considering we signed a 32 years old for 20 that will produce around the same offensively and on defense is worst Wood seemed like the best option. Additionally he would be a perfect insurance in casw Collins leaves and a better mate for Collins as he can play C as well. I don't understand why we signed Gallo instead of Wood.

On the draft my top choices were Okongwu and Haliburton, we went with Oneyka but I have to admit Inam worried considering Hali production and lack of size an shooting on Okongwu. I really hope he starts playing soon and remove all my concerns. Probably he will be lost on first games.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I stated that several times as well, Wood was the best big FA out there and I was feeling he could be signed 15m$ that finnally was the price. Considering we signed a 32 years old for 20 that will produce around the same offensively and on defense is worst Wood seemed like the best option. Additionally he would be a perfect insurance in casw Collins leaves and a better mate for Collins as he can play C as well. I don't understand why we signed Gallo instead of Wood.

On the draft my top choices were Okongwu and Haliburton, we went with Oneyka but I have to admit Inam worried considering Hali production and lack of size an shooting on Okongwu. I really hope he starts playing soon and remove all my concerns. Probably he will be lost on first games.

Hali has been tremendous so far. It's early, but his efficiency and BBIQ for a rookie is very impressive. @Gray Mule you nailed this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1