• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2020!!

capstone21

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

If he walks, they won't have much flexibility and leverage in trades.  They are in a bad space.  They are not close to a rebuild because they haven't had a firesale.   And they won't unless they can get somebody to take Hield and Barnes.  The Fox signing ended the rebuild scenario.  It started a new era for them... playing to win. 

As you look at them, they don't have bad pieces...  Bagley III has shown something.. not a lot.  They have vets.  Bjelica has shown something.   And drafting Haliburton may be the start of the Backcourt of the future.   But they are already cap tight... there's no leverage. 

That's exactly my point, they have little to no leverage lol. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Depends on the price. Ultimately, knowing this, JC would have been shopped during the season but it depends how he is used. If he was bad in the playoffs, I would question matching 19 million per. 

This is more comparable to Tim Hardaway Jr. than JC. 

We were in a different place with THJ.  We had gotten rid of all of our longterm contracts when we had to decide on THJ.  We had gotten rid of D8  we had gotten rid of Paul.   And we decided to Pay Dennis and sign Dedmon.   We were in the second dumpster firesale after Laettner. 

They are in a different situation.  They are captight and just gave Fox the max.  It's true that bogo walking would be similar to THJ because Sactown gets nothing.  But I think they are in a better position of getting something for Bogo.  THJ would have gotten us very little in trade.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

That's exactly my point, they have little to no leverage lol. 

Yes. and with no flexibility and leverage right now without matching.....  What difference does Matching make to their future except give them a tradeable asset?  You let him walk.. you get absolutely nothing.   You may stay out of the LT but you don't make your team better at all.   You match and trade you have the opportunity to make your team better. 

11 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

If I'm McNair, I'm on the phone with Knicks right now to see if they want Hield.

I am pretty sure McNair has already did that. The issue is, when you are working against someone as active as Travis, he already knows what you are about to know. This is relationships are so important in the NBA. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Yes. and with no flexibility and leverage right now without matching.....  What difference does Matching make to their future except give them a tradeable asset?  You let him walk.. you get absolutely nothing.   You may stay out of the LT but you don't make your team better at all.   You match and trade you have the opportunity to make your team better. 

Asset can be a loosely used term. Everyone in the NBA in tradable, but are they an asset is the question. Bogi signs this deal, he may no longer be an asset. We saw this with Bazemore. That contract comes with expectations. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I am pretty sure McNair has already did that. The issue is, when you are working against someone as active as Travis, he already knows what you are about to know. This is relationships are so important in the NBA. 

Plus.  NY is not that smart.  They'd probably go for Barnes though.

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

Asset can be a loosing used term. Everyone in the NBA in tradable, but are they an asset is the question. Bogi signs this deal, he may no longer be an asset. We saw this with Bazemore. That contract comes with expectations. 

This is true.  As a GM, you have to know the market value of the player and be able to predict the cap.

I believe that there will still be buzz about Bogo next offseason.   Like I mentioned in another post, as long as teams continue to sign their free agents a year in advanced (hello Mitchell and Fox) then there will be weak FA classes that will lead to guys like Bogo having more value. 

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Plus.  NY is not that smart.  They'd probably go for Barnes though.

This is where you are wrong and out of touch. They already fired their last administration just like SAC fired Vlade. Leon Rose is a renown shrewd negotiator and he unlike many others isn't going to sway from the goals of team building.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, Diesel said:

This is true.  As a GM, you have to know the market value of the player and be able to predict the cap.

I believe that there will still be buzz about Bogo next offseason.   Like I mentioned in another post, as long as teams continue to sign their free agents a year in advanced (hello Mitchell and Fox) then there will be weak FA classes that will lead to guys like Bogo having more value. 

BTW.. don't forget that Bazemore was signed in the year that there was a "cap forgiveness" kinda deal. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

This is where you are wrong and out of touch. They already fired their last administration just like SAC fired Vlade. Leon Rose is a renown shrewd negotiator and he unlike many others isn't going to sway from the goals of team building.

Leon Rose.... THE AGENT???

He is a shrewd negotiator... but does he know talent?  I don't think he's ever been a scout.  They may be financially viable with him sitting at the desk... but will they get talent or just make moves that look good on paper?  

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

If you're an owner of a team, you should not be willing to go into the Luxury Tax just to max out as a 9th to 10th seed, even if your intention is to eventually rebuild. You start the process early by either letting Bogi walk and trying to flip Barnes, and Hield for assets, or you do the vice versa. The only problem with the vice versa is that you have a deadline at noon tomorrow and you better be confident that you can find a deal before then. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Bazemore signed due to poor GMing as well. That deal was not a deal Ferry would have made. 

I'm not saying it wasn't a bad signing.  I'm saying that the whole market was out of sync and it allowed some teams to overspend on medial talent. 

• Like 1

Just now, Diesel said:

Leon Rose.... THE AGENT???

He is a shrewd negotiator... but does he know talent?  I don't think he's ever been a scout.  They may be financially viable with him sitting at the desk... but will they get talent or just make moves that look good on paper?  

He does obviously. Elite agents know talent. He has them on payroll, under Rose, in the last 6 months they have revamp their scouting department, added elite player development coaches, revamped their coaching staff with the hire of Thibs and a tremendous crew with him. 

He's doing like any GM that wants to do well which is working directly with his coach to get players he covets while building a culture and a squad. 

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I'm not saying it wasn't a bad signing.  I'm saying that the whole market was out of sync and it allowed some teams to overspend on medial talent. 

Houston spending 15 million on Bazemore with Harden isn't the same as Atlanta with Millsap. KYP (Know your personnel) 

Kings have to be realistic. You lost most of your vets this offseason. Your squad looks very weak in a deep western conference. No one your team has a good contract outside of the ones on a rookie deal. KYP

• Premium Member
Just now, ATLHawks3 said:

If you're an owner of a team, you should not be willing to go into the Luxury Tax just to max out as a 9th to 10th seed, even if your intention is to eventually rebuild. You start the process early by either letting Bogi walk and trying to flip Barnes, and Hield for assets, or you do the vice versa. The only problem with the vice versa is that you have a deadline at noon tomorrow and you better be confident that you can find a deal before then. 

Take the Atlanta Hawks out of the equation for a second and say that again.

If you're a BIllionaire and have money to burn... you should not make a move that can make your team better in the future vs. keep your team standard and not get better in the future?

What you're suggesting is that the Kings shouldn't match because they may not be playoff bound?

The choice is simple:

1.  Get something. 

2.  Get Nothing. 

Even if the something you get is Bogo and you have to work extra hard to move Barnes and Hield.   You still got something.   vs. Get Nothing.   Nothing at all because you made your first GM mistake. 

You're saying that the Billionaire who wipes his ass with Million dollar bills should get Nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Take the Atlanta Hawks out of the equation for a second and say that again.

If you're a BIllionaire and have money to burn... you should not make a move that can make your team better in the future vs. keep your team standard and not get better in the future?

What you're suggesting is that the Kings shouldn't match because they may not be playoff bound?

The choice is simple:

1.  Get something. 

2.  Get Nothing. 

Even if the something you get is Bogo and you have to work extra hard to move Barnes and Hield.   You still got something.   vs. Get Nothing.   Nothing at all because you made your first GM mistake. 

You're saying that the Billionaire who wipes his ass with Million dollar bills should get Nothing. 

I think we're both arguing for the same point, but we just have different ideas of how they should achieve it.

All I'm saying is that due to the time constraint as well as the salary cap implications for their future seasons, in order to to match the Bogdanovic deal, they better be confident that they have a deal(s) in place in order to flip some of their larger contracts on their team for assets in order to initiate the rebuild.

If not, accept the future salary cap flexibility that you'll have, and focus on trying to flip some of your other remaining assets and start the rebuild.