• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2020!!

capstone21

• Premium Member

My Boston work friend enemy sent me this:

Boston is going to trade us Smart for Collins because the Kings will match Bogi. Ainge took us to the cleaners and he will love watching Collins in Boston. Teague is an All Star settling for a backup position because he wants to win a ring in Boston. We got "washed up" Rondo and that was hilarious to him.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Long story long, Boston = losers

Really?  Jeff Teague told the Hawks that he was now just as good as he ever was!  Remember, he was once a starter on the all star team.  Wow!  Look at what we just lost.  An all star - - for nothing in return....

:smug:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Can we do free agency winners and losers here?  There are some pretty obvious ones and a few subtle ones.  I think BOS fits both categories, obvious and subtle losers.

Losing high-level free agents for no return in subsequent years is killer.  Boston people were on the radio talking up the Thompson and Teague signings as some kind of answer as if they 'broke even' in losing Hayward.  Yes, they signed guys but does anyone think they're a better team today?  Furthermore, compare that to likely having lost out on their actual target of Turner (IND) by playing hard ball.

Long story long, Boston = losers

You're speculating in the only way that allows you to have something to complain about.

Spec-u-late. 

verb

gerund or present participle: speculating

1. form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.

Yes, I'm speculating. We do a lot of speculating around here.

• Premium Member

For those on the... did we have a megadeal kick....

Let's enter the mind of somebody with inside information.  i.e. the Source.

What's in it for the source to pass along information to a "media type"?

Well, I will start with Vince Carter.

Vince has an established relationship with this Hawks front office.  Maybe he overstepped with what he said because he is new to being a media type.  He gave out more information about what the Hawks were going to do than Wojo, Shams, Mark, and that other guy has ever given on the Hawks.   Vince gave out more information on the Hawks than every Hawks beat reporter combined. 

When you talk about other sources... you have to think that depending on their position, another source might use a media type as a leak.  A leak that can get a rumor started for the purpose of opening up avenues of real conversation with other teams. 

Aside from that though.... I don't know if somebody who is close to the team would share team plans that they knew would get broadcasted to the world?   Look what just happened to the Kings.  People were able to predict their plans and Schlenk took their FO to the woodshed.

The other possibility is that maybe it's just not true at all.   There's a lot of information online that can help somebody identify what could happen.  You would have to doubt it if the only time the leak came up with big things is when the Hawks needed to do something.   I don't think FOs are always in reaction mode.  Sometimes, they have long term plans that require patience.   It's during those long stretches that if the source goes quiet... it's probably not a source at all.   You can't make up information if there's no need because nobody else will be reporting information either. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

The bids are closed. We had no was of knowing what the other teams were offering. We were in the race and effectively set the floor for offers.  Let me clarify that. We aren't supposed to know what they offer and only have the agent or other team's word to go on. They can tell us they're getting 100 million from another squad but usually that's just bluster to get you to up your offer.

I was clear early on that the Rondo offer was real and that the Hayward reports were too high  (for us).

Seethese cherry picked posts from me below.

"This deal sends out 13.3 million in Dedmon before accepting in any salary. So as long as we take back less than $25 to $30 million (depending on your accountant) then we are definitely in the Hayward mix."

and this

"

ON 11/15/2020 AT 6:00 PM, JTB SAID:

Come on Camp....you see all this JC for Spicy P talk!

what’s going on? Did @h4wkfan get something right ? 

NO!"

and

"I was never onboard with Hayward. I felt the money was better spent elsewhere. I'd much rather get Gallo and Rondo for 1/2 of what Hayward is set to make this year. I wanted no part of committing to him for 3 years+"

with

"With the Danillo signing, we are at $26 million in cap space making a big deal less realistic."

and

"

The Hawks only have a few trade chips left related to salary. Snell, Huerter, Fernando mostly. Technically, they could move some salary and take back a big one and then fill out the roster with vet contracts but IMHO it would be better to use that 26 million to sign 2 players then fill out with vet minimums and move snell at the trade deadline if things are going well."

For those that have ears let them hear and for those that have eyes let them see (or read).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Boston is going to trade us Smart for Collins because the Kings will match Bogi. Ainge took us to the cleaners and he will love watching Collins in Boston. Teague is an All Star settling for a backup position because he wants to win a ring in Boston. We got "washed up" Rondo and that was hilarious to him.

Why have you not fired this dude or planted evidence so he gets fired yet?

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

For those on the... did we have a megadeal kick....

Let's enter the mind of somebody with inside information.  i.e. the Source.

What's in it for the source to pass along information to a "media type"?

Well, I will start with Vince Carter.

Vince has an established relationship with this Hawks front office.  Maybe he overstepped with what he said because he is new to being a media type.  He gave out more information about what the Hawks were going to do than Wojo, Shams, Mark, and that other guy has ever given on the Hawks.   Vince gave out more information on the Hawks than every Hawks beat reporter combined. 

When you talk about other sources... you have to think that depending on their position, another source might use a media type as a leak.  A leak that can get a rumor started for the purpose of opening up avenues of real conversation with other teams. 

Aside from that though.... I don't know if somebody who is close to the team would share team plans that they knew would get broadcasted to the world?   Look what just happened to the Kings.  People were able to predict their plans and Schlenk took their FO to the woodshed.

The other possibility is that maybe it's just not true at all.   There's a lot of information online that can help somebody identify what could happen.  You would have to doubt it if the only time the leak came up with big things is when the Hawks needed to do something.   I don't think FOs are always in reaction mode.  Sometimes, they have long term plans that require patience.   It's during those long stretches that if the source goes quiet... it's probably not a source at all.   You can't make up information if there's no need because nobody else will be reporting information either. 

"Vince, were the Hawks ever close to a mega trade."

Vince: "naw."

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

That doesn't even make sense. If the Kings match, it's easier for the Hawks to pay JC.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Why have you not fired this dude or planted evidence so he gets fired yet?

We work for a company that is 90% female. There's only so many real die hard sports fans of either gender so we have a relationship as a result. He's not  a bad guy other than being utterly obnoxious about Boston sports.

Just now, mrhonline said:

That doesn't even make sense. If the Kings match, it's easier for the Hawks to pay JC.

He listens to Boston sports media and blogs like they are the Gospel.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Why would we need Smart?

That makes very little sense. 

If we don't get Bogo, I agree with Supes... The old man Reddick is still out there. 

I would also take a call on what it would take to get Fournier?

And in my "Slim from The Wood" Voice...  I would trade a lot of these wings for Zach Lavine.   He's worth more than a whole lot of these skeezers.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

"Vince, were the Hawks ever close to a mega trade."

Vince: "naw."

Seriously... if we can get Vince to come on from time to time and do a section called Ask Vince... I think we'd skyrocket in popularity.  It'd be better than that Fake Ask the GM section that we had... or was it fake??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Seriously... if we can get Vince to come on from time to time and do a section called Ask Vince... I think we'd skyrocket in popularity.  It'd be better than that Fake Ask the GM section that we had... or was it fake??

Vince has a finger on the pulse of Hawks management, no question. 

• Premium Member
Just now, bleachkit said:

Vince has a finger on the pulse of Hawks management, no question. 

If Vince became a Hawksquawk/ESPN insider.. I think it could propel him to become bigger than Wojo.  Wojo and Mark get all the respect in the world... but how much more respect would Vince get being that he was a Hall of Fame type player turned media insider.  No former pro has ever used their connections to be an insider but if Leon Rose can become a GM.... Shoot... everything is possible. 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Sothron said:

We work for a company that is 90% female. There's only so many real die hard sports fans of either gender so we have a relationship as a result.

I can relate to that. I'm in higher ed in NC. If it's not college or football, it doesn't exist. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1