• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Besides the money...are we respected by FAs now?

HawkItus

• Admin

I think it’s a yes and no ... at least for now ... we are a young and up and coming team and our management has shown we will now spend ... however on the other side of the coin ... we were only one of three teams with money and the other two were NY and Charlotte and this was a year when no real star players were available (besides AD and Ingram and they were not leaving their respective teams).  

That being said ... I thing we actually overachieved (but overpaid a little) with this off-season  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Yeah, there weren’t many teams with money this year so it’s hard to tell. With that said, I think we are attractive to to guys who can shoot and score because of Trae. I think we are also attractive to some very good players, just not the great players yet. Playoffs and some success in them need to happen first.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I also believe Schlenk is stockpiling tradable assets to go after a superstar or two. If the Bucks and Sixers keep flaming out in the playoffs which leads Giannis and Embiid to wanting out, we'll be read to fire with Capela, Collins, Gallo, BoBo, Rondo, Dunn, Huerter, Cam, Hunter, and Snell all up for sale.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's a myriad of things.

We had capspace, yes, but a player still needs to be sold on team direction and vision. Guess the team did a helluva sales job. Before we wouldn't even get sit downs with these types of players.

I think Trae is the big Draw.

I think the Hawks making the transition from rebuild to saying playoffs. I think players realized our potential with the Core 7 and how they can help.

The transition from the The Spirit Group that didn't have a great rep around the league.

They probably saw how many open 3s we had that were missed.

Agreed.

I vividly remember the days when the Hawks had tons of cap space and talked tough about being 'aggressive' in free agency, only to be relegated to signing the same batch of scrubs they always do. That's because the REAL players would laugh the Hawks' front office out of the room before an offer was even made. At best, they'd just use whatever offer Sund or BK would throw at them as leverage to get better deals with their existing teams or elsewhere. It was almost embarrassing hearing from national beat writers about they couldn't even get (insert viable free agent here) or any of their representatives on the phone; as if Hawks HQ was made up of telemarketers cold calling folks on Christmas Day. 

And please don't get me started on the Notorious ASG and the unspeakable damage they did to the team's reputation; which wasn't all that great to begin with. Some of us are still bitter about the loss of a certain NHL team, whom I refuse to name, the BK error (spelled correctly), WLOC-Sund, not vetting the pizza guy before trying to sell the team, the big lawsuit, David McDavid, and everything else in between. Having them no longer in the picture to royally eff things up is absolutely huge.

Along with that, I'll go with the Trae effect helping matters as well. Do they even get two of these guys signed with Schröder and Taurean Prince as the focal points of the team? Think about it like this; before Trae, Al Horford and Jeff Teague were the only All-Star players the Hawks drafted since Reagan's first term. And neither put up the numbers in their second year as Trae did, especially with the entire planet knowing who was going to get the ball late. Guys can smell a star from a mile away and he's the first one we've had in awhile...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dejay said:

Some of us are still bitter about the loss of a certain NHL team, whom I refuse to name, the BK error (spelled correctly), WLOC-Sund, not vetting the pizza guy before trying to sell the team, the big lawsuit, David McDavid, and everything else in between. Having them no longer in the picture to royally eff things up is absolutely huge.

Damn...I forgot all about the Pizza guy and the used car salesman. 

We've seriously been through it, fam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2020 at 1:18 PM, HawkItus said:

And if so is it more Schlenk or Trae or both?

Nah.

Free agency is like being in a room full of women, and you flashing money trying to get their attention.

The high quality and self confident women aren't going to come at you, just because you have a lot of money.  You need to bring more to the table.

They're desired by everyone, so THEY have the power to choose where they want to go.  Your cash many not even appeal to them, because they got money anyway.

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is such an iconic picture in Atlanta sports history.

You can read all kinds of things into this picture, and it'll probably fit.  Good and bad.

I always wondered if he shook Belkin's hand or not?

One of the greatest photos in Hawks history.

IIRC, BK refused to shake hands. 

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

One of the greatest photos in Hawks history.

IIRC, BK refused to shake hands. 

Great photo but I was rarely as happy as the day I could remove that from my signature and celebrate the end of Belkin in Atlanta!  ASG had way too many selfish, incompetent a-holes.

• Like 3

• Moderators
14 hours ago, AHF said:

Great photo but I was rarely as happy as the day I could remove that from my signature and celebrate the end of Belkin in Atlanta!  ASG had way too many selfish, incompetent a-holes.

We had two different owners who actively worked to hurt the team in a power play to try to control operations.  Has that ever happened from the same ownership team before in the history of sports ownership?