• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason G2: Magic vs Hawks, 12/12/2020 @ 5PM

JayBirdHawk

Anyone hear Steve Clifford's comments on the Magic effort last night?  He was none too pleased.  I can't find them in print anywhere, just heard them on the radio.  Basically said Fultz played well, Forunier was 'ok' but them other guys were awful.

On another note, does anyone remember why Okeke was a 1st rounder?  He looked really 'meh' even adjusting for the fact that he's been out a full year.  Like what is he supposed to be good at?

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Anyone hear Steve Clifford's comments on the Magic effort last night?  He was none too pleased.  I can't find them in print anywhere, just heard them on the radio.  Basically said Fultz played well, Forunier was 'ok' but them other guys were awful.

On another note, does anyone remember why Okeke was a 1st rounder?  He looked really 'meh' even adjusting for the fact that he's been out a full year.  Like what is he supposed to be good at?

He's a tweener. It's always going to be a 3 year challenge for tweeners, especially the defensive minded ones. They never translate easily. 

I felt they looked bad but this is what this season will do to a lot of teams who lack depth, it will make you look bad on certain nights. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Magic were horrible.  Vuc looked like he didn't care.   I thought Fournier was worse than Ok.   Looked like he fouled out on purpose.  They aren't a particularly resilient team i don't think though.  

58 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's a tweener. It's always going to be a 3 year challenge for tweeners, especially the defensive minded ones. They never translate easily. 

So he's supposed to be another Aaron Gordon, basically?  Gosh that's looking like a bad pick.

4 hours ago, gHost83 said:

Agreed. Big O should step in and immediately be the second string 5. Still hesitates, lackluster hustle and struggles to find a body to box out. He's large enough to secure rebounds in his direction tho. 

If you are on the floor for 10 to 15 mins every other day, you should be sprinting down the floor damn near every possession. Capela does it. I hope he's watching.

He did that last night, and only saw the ball once.

At least in game 1, he got multiple touches.

5 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Bruno has looked G-league his entire career so far. People blasting the Hawks pick on draft night look ridiculous. Backup center is a massive need atm. 

Okoro and Deni were my top 2 guys, and they balled out 1st preseason game..lol..But youre right, backup center is a HUGE need right now..And we wont even get to see Gwu in preseason...That sux....

Edited by terrell

47 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I preface this by saying, this is preseason.  However, I think Trae is answering the question, if he's going to play his style of ball or attempt to adjust to better players. I see him actively trying to get his teammates involved whenever he has a good shot.  I know many naysayers were saying Trae would just chuck away and get those Russell Westbrook assists.  The preseason offense has had a lot more pick and roll and much more ball movement.  I like it.  

I still think Trae will need a little more selfish for the Hawks to be successful, but last night's game would be perfect.  Trae with 22 pts (yes, 22 because that three pointer he was filed on should have counted) and 7 assists (I would prefer this is in the 10 -12 range) and five to six other players in double figures.  That'll be a hard team to stop, with good rebounding, LOWER turnovers, and average defense.  

23, because he hit the 3 and would have made the four-point-play, instead of the two "non-shooting" FTs he hit 😉

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

LP hasn't decided what the rotation would be yet. What we are seeing from Hunter is a strong case to be the starter. 

Hes the starting SF no question imo..UVA offense/defense compared to NBA was a big adjustment..I remember us talking about it when he was drafted. He looks way more comfortable this season...

3 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Bruno has looked G-league his entire career so far. People blasting the Hawks pick on draft night look ridiculous. Backup center is a massive need atm. 

Hawks need to make a commitment.  Either send him to College Park, or let him develop with decent playing time.

What kills me, is that fans and coaches act like his negative play is harming the team any more than what it already is.  Everyone else can make mistakes and develop . . but not him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hazer said:

I can’t be the only one enjoying this game so much I hate for it to end 🎉 

Get ready for alot more. I know alot of us are anxious for the season. This isn't it. This is preseason. If we're looking good now imagine what we will look like. Especially with all of our pieces

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, terrell said:

Hes the starting SF no question imo..UVA offense/defense compared to NBA was a big adjustment..I remember us talking about it when he was drafted. He looks way more comfortable this season...

I never thought it was even a question that Hunter would be the starting 3. He did nothing to lose that spot. I always looked at Cam as a 2 guard that can play the 3 also. I feel like we'd be better with Cam and Dre on the floor together instead of one or the other. Their strengths and weaknesses offset each other

• Like 3

These additions only work if Trae is aggressive as a scorer. He must keep the killer instinct so that things open up for everyone else.

He can still set the stage for his teammates, but he needs to force the opponent to adjust to him first and foremost. If he starts self checking himself by getting rid of the ball early just so the other 4 guys can play hot potato with the ball, then we aren't scaring anybody on the court.

Make them respect option #1 and then go from there.

• Like 3

With our current crop of shooters, when the ball leaves Trae's hands, they have the worry, "Now what do I do!"  Watching "The King" play, he usually tries to get his team involved before he takes over the offense.  Trae has the same opportunity.  Feed his mates.  See who has the hot hand tonight.  Go off from there.

:sun:

53 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

These additions only work if Trae is aggressive as a scorer. He must keep the killer instinct so that things open up for everyone else.

He can still set the stage for his teammates, but he needs to force the opponent to adjust to him first and foremost. If he starts self checking himself by getting rid of the ball early just so the other 4 guys can play hot potato with the ball, then we aren't scaring anybody on the court.

Make them respect option #1 and then go from there.

I agree. When Trae was aggressive against Orlando, we were blowing them out. This system only works when Trae is being Trae. Maybe it's different if it's Cam other than Hunter, that's something we don't know yet.