• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is there a Collins-Young schism or is this about money?

NineOhTheRino

2 hours ago, AHF said:

These are all a product of small sample size.  After 7 or so games, you see some people way out on the extremes of the bell curve.  Those extremes move towards the middle as the season progresses and you amass a more meaningful number of games.  Paul George, for example, has played over 22,000 minutes and has a career TS% of .567 and a career high of .589.  He isn't finishing the season at .675 unless he suffers a season ending injury.  Hopefully Hunter continues with his very significant improvement from last year's .521 but I don't see him sustaining his current scoring efficiency.

I think we are agreeing since I said I don't expect Hunter to maintain a .500 plus FG%. I think he can maintain a .400 3PT% and easily hits .800 or better FT%. I know you pointed to George as a good example. Middleton is one also. His career best TS% was last seasons .619.

Small Forwards and wings in general are usually not this efficient. I am going to enjoy this run of Hunter's for as long as it last.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We can start running specific plays to free up Collins for more 3 point shots, even if it means more guys outside of Trae, drive and kick the ball out to him.

This game was played for decades with ways to effectively get the ball to big men who could shoot.  The Hawks should at least be able to find more touches for Collins . . unless there's something more sinister going on.

You are really arguing with yourself by telling me some coaches have been calling set plays since the dawn of basketball. Huerter did hit Collins with a couple of passes in the last game. One lob and one three if I recall correctly. He hit him with another pass and Collins turned it over dribbling.

In the five wins, Collins only had two games with double digit touches. Maybe that is something and maybe it is nothing. I did expect Capela to take away some of John's lobs. He needs to be kept engaged as well on both ends of the floor. I don't care how many touches anyone gets. If we walk away with a win that is all that matters.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

Question when collins made the public statement were we 4-1 ???

collins was getting less touches in those games I believe and has recently gotten more after the call out I think which we’ve not looked as good and been losing most 

1 minute ago, JTB said:

collins was getting less touches in those games I believe and has recently gotten more after the call out I think which we’ve not looked as good and been losing most 

If true, then Collins might be a low key issue in the locker room.

Hes worried, fairly enough, about his market value at the expense of his team.

18 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

If true, then Collins might be a low key issue in the locker room.

Hes worried, fairly enough, about his market value at the expense of his team.

Worried he might get 90 to 100 million as opposed to 120 to 130 million. Either way he will have generational wealth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, JTB said:

No. We would have been 4-3

1. The statement wasn't 'public' - it was said during video review amongst the team.

2. It occured AFTER the KNICKS games. The previous game, we lost to the Cavs after being up by in the 2nd half (we scored 18 and 17 points in each quarter) and we had an epic collapse. We were also up in the 2nd half in the Knicks game and we also lost. Scored 20 points in the last quarter.

It was after these games that the article indicated Collins spoke up.

Then Trae decided he didn't want to play in that 1st Charlotte game.

Constructive criticism is part of any NBA film session.

But when the Hawks convened Tuesday at the Emory Sports Medicine Complex, the day after they had blown a 15-point lead in the second half for the second consecutive game in a loss to New York, there was something different about the most memorable message being sent: It wasn’t coming from the coach, Lloyd Pierce, but from a player.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Trae Young insists an argument he had with John Collins during a film season, which was reported by The Athletic, was overblown and not atypical.

Collins criticized Young for mismanaging the clock on offense and questioned his early shot-clock attempts.

“Of course if there’s anything out there publicly, I always go directly to [that person],” Young relayed to Yahoo Sports. “As for the John [Collins] incident, me and him talked about it as soon as it got out the next day and we were both confused. It just got out and it was over a regular film session. So there’s no beef or anything in there to begin with. There hasn’t been any locker room issues on my side. Anything that people were saying about locker room issues, there hasn’t been one. It’s all about our team and how we’ve been trying to get better in film sessions.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/trae-young-denies-beef-with-john-collins-as-the-hawks-focus-on-making-the-playoffs-003257869.html?src=rss

• Like 2

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yeah.  Sadly it was just click bait.  But wasn't it Kirschner that started it?   That's pretty sad angle for a pay wall writer in my opinion.   I could be wrong it was his. 

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  Sadly it was just click bait.  But wasn't it Kirschner that started it?   That's pretty sad angle for a pay wall writer in my opinion.   I could be wrong it was his. 

It was and he took hell for it, lol.  He's still having to defend it every now and then.  In the chat sections of his articles 'people keep asking if they are still having issues'  his response: 'they weren't having any issue. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, High5 said:

The only thing that made it stand out was Trae's inexplicably poor play. It's impossible to avoid arguments when you get a bunch of competitive people together with millions of dollars on the line. I would be more concerned if we were slumping and no one was expressing their dissatisfaction. 

Yes!  His head looked to be completely out of it during that stretch.  Made for a bad looking picture.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yes!  His head looked to be completely out of it during that stretch.  Made for a bad looking picture.

There was some pout goin' on.  Seems undeniable.  There may not have been an "issue" between them but it sure seemed like somebody took issue with what happened.

Overall, I don't think that's an issue.  Even if it took someone a game+ to get over himself.  Chalk it up to growing pains we were sure to experience this season.  They'll all move on from it.

I mean, remember when I used to hate your guts.  And I used to call you all kinds of names behind your back?  You don't hold that against me.

Wait, you didn't know about ..... nevermind, that never happened. 🤠

• Haha 4