Lloyd Pierce has been Dismissed

Bonkers

• Moderators
Just now, Bonkers said:

Honestly the players were probably looking at LP like "Man this guy hasn't proven anything as a coach why am I even listening to him!". LP hasn't accomplished a damn thing as a head coach. He doesn't have the clout to be doing certain things

LP honestly sounds like an asshole who thinks his shit doesn't stink

I have this same attitude about Rondo.  

• Haha 2

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is what I have ben waiting for the Juicy stuff!! Here goes:

one other:

.........sources say Hawks owner Ressler grew incensed with his team losing winnable games in the same manner.

Now I'm picturing Tony and Jami Gertz throwing controllers at the TV watching LP pull Cap down the stretch over and over.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

the 'tough love' approach is difficult and lots of people in all walks of life can't really pull it off as a leadership tactic.  

Popovich? He's been know to pretty gruff at times (Spurs do have some the best team dinners in the league though, Pop knows knows food and wine). 

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Now I'm picturing Tony and Jami Gertz throwing controllers at the TV watching LP pull Cap down the stretch over and over.

You beat me!

"

Sources say player support beyond Young was dwindling at the end, with several sharing their desire for a change with management recently.

The lack of faith in Pierce from the players quickly eroded last year, with several on the team feeling like they could not approach him without leaving the conversation feeling like they weren’t being heard.

“There’s no telling when he lost it,” one source close to the team said. “He didn’t have support from many people. It came down to him not being able to manage egos. That’s what did him in, especially these young guys. It’s tough.”

"

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Popovich? He's been know to pretty gruff at times (Spurs do have some the best team dinners in the league though, Pop knows knows food and wine). 

Absolutely.  You  have to have the right personality for it.   Not anyone can do it.   Pop can be a total asshole and everyone loves him.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I wonder if our group does not handle constructive criticism well? But was Lloyd too stubborn also? Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

David Robinson being receptive to it laid the groundwork for their culture. Tim Duncan took it to a higher level. Hard to be upset at tough love when the franchise player has no issues with it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

You beat me!

"

Sources say player support beyond Young was dwindling at the end, with several sharing their desire for a change with management recently.

The lack of faith in Pierce from the players quickly eroded last year, with several on the team feeling like they could not approach him without leaving the conversation feeling like they weren’t being heard.

“There’s no telling when he lost it,” one source close to the team said. “He didn’t have support from many people. It came down to him not being able to manage egos. That’s what did him in, especially these young guys. It’s tough.”

"

Just like I thought. LP is the classic "My way or the highway" kind of asshole even if it costs him his job

Good riddance u piece of trash

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Absolutely.  You  have to have the right personality for it.   Not anyone can do it.   Pop can be a total asshole and everyone loves him.

Also, not to apply generational stereotypes, but players are a little more sensitive now, and expect more nurturing than those of yesteryear.

• Like 1

Also, not to apply generational stereotypes, but players are a little more sensitive now, and expect more nurturing than those of yesteryear.

If LP wasn't even tactitcal about how he approached communicating with his own team he's even worse than I 1st thought

2 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Just like I thought. LP is the classic "My way or the highway" kind of asshole even if it costs him his job

Good riddance u piece of trash

Maybe. Or maybe he had some talented but flawed players like Trae and Cam that really needed to a look in the mirror and correct aspects of their game to become stars. 

• Like 3

Maybe. Or maybe he had some talented but flawed players like Trae and Cam that really needed to a look in the mirror and correct aspects of their game to become stars. 

Oh they are definitely flawed and need to put in the work to be better but LP clearly wasn't helping and it seems that he was inhibiting their growth

Just now, bleachkit said:

Let's be a bit fair about Trae for a second. His defense has gotten much better this year. We've seen him do a better job of staying in front of his man and even take a few charges. His limbs are too short and his step too slow to be a great defender but the effort has been much better from both he and Huerter this year. (Now if you want to criticize his shooting too much we can talk).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Cam having issues with LP surprised me.

John being upset makes sense considering that he wasn't featured in the offense last season as the obvious second best option behind Trae, especially during a tanking year in which you'd expect to be given the opportunity to show what you can do.

I'd bet Bruno might be one of the unnamed players.

Him and Trae looked night and day better with Nate

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The reporter came off a bit strong with the "you said it", but this looks kinda iffy.

Haven't seen Lloyd pissed off in his pressers but if this is how the locker room was, I can see why players would want a change.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

True. Cam has to understand, when you shooting how he shooting, many coaches just bench you and nothing more. 

As for Trae, Nate proved he needs coaching in game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Exactly.  Cute how the guy says the players are flawed and need coaching but calls the guy trying to coach the flaws out of them "trash".  Yikes

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, aali34 said:

David Robinson being receptive to it laid the groundwork for their culture. Tim Duncan took it to a higher level. Hard to be upset at tough love when the franchise player has no issues with it.

This. You gotta coach for the players you have. I have three Gen Z employees and while they are hard working and gifted, they are sensitive. I have to keep that in mind when managing them

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, aali34 said:

The reporter came off a bit strong with the "you said it", but this looks kinda iffy.

Haven't seen Lloyd pissed off in his pressers but if this is how the locker room was, I can see why players would want a change.

Well Kirschner is a bit of a prick so its possible he doesn't like him but ya, LP looked a bit stressed there.

• Like 1