Lloyd Pierce has been Dismissed

Bonkers

• Premium Member
Just now, bleachkit said:

Small sample size. Let's revisit this after our brutal 7 game west coast road trip later this month.

It's a little unfair to compare losses during the easy part of the schedule vs losses during the hardest part of the schedule don't you think?

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

It's a little unfair to compare losses during the easy part of the schedule vs losses during the hardest part of the schedule don't you think?

I'm not opposed to a change being made, but I think the shine will wear off Nate pretty quick when we start losing again.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

I'm not opposed to a change being made, but I think the shine will wear off Nate pretty quick when we start losing again.

Yeah if he loses to Cleveland and Charlotte twice and just get beat up by New York again

• Haha 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, hawkzlova123 said:

Of new York beats us again I might lose it. 

Knicks are 6th in the east though.   They are who we aspire to be at this point.   Now they have D.Rose who is a hawk killer whereever he's playing. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Knicks are 6th in the east though.   They are who we aspire to be at this point.   Now they have D.Rose who is a hawk killer whereever he's playing. 

The East is super tight right now between #4 and #11.  We are at 11 today but are only 3 games behind the #4 seed.  Plenty of ability to make that up if we can start reversing that trend of giving away 4th quarter leads.

• Like 1

Lloyd wasn’t good enough to be the head coach of an NBA team and that’s the bottom line. All these injuries are being used as an excuse for him, not calling timely timeouts, not adjusting to teams making runs, not communicating and being heard by his players, not commanding respect after his game plans failed over and over again.

Win Nate go 38-0, obviously not, will players start playing harder for him because they respect the game plan and approach, probably. He needed to go. Those clamoring for Lloyd need to drop their feeling for him as a person and look at the situation more objectively and that’s that the dude wasn’t getting the job done.

Example: I love my barber 💈 he’s an awesome dude but if he makes me look like Mo from the three stooges or Jim Carey from dumb n dumber I’m dropping him no matter how sweet the convos are between us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Pains me to say but this may be the post of the year.

Hawks 2-1 vs BKN

Heurter > Durant? 😎

The Hawks get up to play the good teams, we know this  - let's see what happens against the lower level teams.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, sturt said:

Trae's quotes tonight about the situation are so generic, it leads readily to the conclusion that he perceives he had some part in the firing.

Is it just me who gets that impression?

Consider what he could have said, but didn't.

There is a palpable avoidance of saying anything about LP, when in fact, another option would be to approach the question in the way that, for instance, Huerter or BogBog did.

Trae didn't care for Pierce

• Premium Member

On how the conversation with Schlenk went: “We were in the middle of a road trip. I spoke with our GM about being released and let go. For me, you understand the business. I’m a pretty mild-mannered person in general. I try not to keep my highs too high and my lows too low. One of the things I shared with Travis is he is the guy who hired me. … I mentioned in an article I did that at any point when this opportunity came I would be ecstatic and at any point when it ended I would be appreciative and thankful. Especially of Travis because he was the guy who believed in me. He was the guy who gave me the opportunity. I will never lose sight of that. So that was really the conversation for me with him at that moment.”

On whether he was surprised: “The surprise element of it is you always want more. I’m a competitor. I’m a coach. You want more. You want to feel as though even despite a down time, you are hoping that you can right the wrong and with patience, with time, with opportunity. But there is no surprise on my part in terms of understanding that.

On his level of disappointment not having the entire team healthy for a long stretch: “That is the easy way of looking at it. That’s the way people have looked at it for me. I’ve been a no-excuse person the whole time. We prided ourselves on being a we mentality team. I tried to instill that in the guys, understanding the mentality of the next man up. In our case, it was a next men up. There were a lot of guys who were out. I think it’s important to still maintain the same discipline that I was trying to instill in them. We can’t make excuses of who is not here and I have to coach who is here. I’m always going to put it on me and I’m going to look at it that way. I don’t care to make the excuse of injuries.

On his relation with Trae Young and players in general: “I think in any situation, and I’ve been an assistant coach me entire life until this job, one of the things I tried to do as often as I could was really just focus on the overall growth of the individual who I was coaching. Along those lines, it wasn’t always based on me being a great relationship guy. I didn’t want to be friends with everyone. I didn’t want to be their best friend. I wanted to be a guy who was citing as many examples as we could. What I did on my staff is I put every assistant coach with the players. A number of my assistant coaches has a number of players who they were mainly responsible for. They spent the time watching film. They spent the time on the court with their pre-game vitamins. They were the ones charged with having tremendous relationships. That’s how it is, pretty much, with all NBA teams, how you divvy up the duties and responsibilities. So for any of our guys, and I don’t want to point out Trae and make it a bigger deal than it is, for any of our guys my job is to take all the hits. My job is also to get some of the credit. So if a relationship is strained, yeah that’s on me. If a guy is playing tremendous, I don’t necessarily say that’s on me as well. I like to deflect that and give that to the coach which was working with that guy. DeAndre Hunter was just named to the Rising Stars Game. Well I’m going to give Matt Hill a ton of credit because he works with DeAndre Hunter. I’m not going to take that credit. I understand as the head coach it’s always going to be on me to make sure I put my guys, my staff, in position to operate successfully. So the relationships aren’t great. They are never going to be great. I’m the guy who has to pull the guy out of the game when he doesn’t think he needs to come out. That’s not going to be a great relationship all the time. I’m the guy who has to tell him to move the basketball more. That’s not going to be a great relationship. I have to make those. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

His public messaging was one of the main things I just couldn't deal with anymore.   And I've known tons of people like him.  It's just a personality thing but you can learn to compensate for it.  I know he thinks "I’m always going to put it on me" but he put a lot on the players publicly with his communication style.   I don't think you need to coddle guys but hearing your coach in pressers constantly saying: we didn't play hard, no intensity, didn't feel us, didn't make shots can wear you down subconsciously.   Especially with the way he would really get defensive when someone questioned his decisions.

• Like 3

Lloyd’s impact on tough love coaching will show down the road, unfortunately for him he didn’t have a 10 year window. He knew what he was in for and that was a battle he couldn’t win as far wins and losses, his voice was monotone as I said a year ago, but I’m actually glad he lasted a bit more than that because again his impact will show in a few years for whomever the coach will be for the Hawks.

• Like 1

No "I" in team right. Surprised at most of the tone of that take but then that is something folks noticed more and more this season than before. A ton more pressure this year on Pierce of course but just the same. PR can be brutal. 

• Like 1