• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is no downside to E10 deals but I can't see Schofield or Heidegger being anything more than practice / pre-season fodder.  I've enjoyed the decision-making I've seen from Heidegger in particular but I don't think there is a future there.

You gotta fill out College Park with good gleague players. I seen enough to know that both players would be good in the Gleague.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dalamchops said:

i can see JJ turning out like smoove, not quite a bust, shows flashes of talent but also a head case and could never quite put it together to achieve stardom. though if he's putting up 9WS year like smoove did at his peak that's tremendous value for a 20th pick.

What???? Lol why is he a head case? 

• Like 1

ATTITUDE:   We all have it, good or bad.  Everyone of us must believe in themselves whether anyone else does or not.  Winners must believe that they are winners.  They don't  just give up and quit.  Neither of our draft picks had a sterling record before they became Hawks.  They fell below their talent level.

As someone has said, these two players will not determine how good or bad the Hawks will be this season.  This is the luxury we enjoy with our present deep team.  We don't have to depend on them right now.  Both will have the opportunity to learn and to grow as young NBA players.

Both draft picks are very talented.  They have the God given ability to go far.  The biggest enemy each of them face is the man they see in the mirror each morning.  Yep, attitude.  If it's right, they will do well. 

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, marco102 said:

You are entitled to have your opinions. No one is mad at you for having them. Just don't sit here and act like you calling someone a bust from three summer league games is not what you did.

I'm truly baffled that you don't seem to understand (or won't acknowledge) that there is a real difference between the statements "I think he's a bust" and "I think he's going to be a bust." The first is a label. The second is a prediction.  That's not a distinction without a difference.

Whatever, dude. Stay mad if that's you. I'm not gonna waste any more time trying to explain the difference between those two things.

Edited by niremetal

Anyone else noticing the ghost of Lloyd Pierce with all 3 of the games involving us blowing leads late and dropping 2 of 3 with poor execution down the stretch? I mean, if not for the buzzer beater by Rife we would have 3 blown lead losses under 2 minutes.

Matt Hill was originally on LP's staff. Whatever they were teaching still aint working when it comes to closing out games.

Thank goodness Nate is around to instill good habits. Apparently he told Sharife he had a 2 turnover limit. It all starts at the top.

14 minutes ago, niremetal said:

I'm truly baffled that you don't seem to understand (or won't acknowledge) that there is a real difference between the statements "I think he's a bust" and "I think he's going to be a bust." The first is a label. The second is a prediction.  That's not a distinction without a difference.

Whatever, dude. Stay mad if that's you. I'm not gonna waste any more time trying to explain the difference between those two things.

I have two walnuts. I have 1 walnut and 1 peanut. I have 2 peanuts. I still have 2 nuts (ba dum bump...tssss). They aren't the same nuts but they're still nuts.

Leaning toward, if I put a water balloon to your head, had to call it now...is a bust is still saying you believe bust.  I understand you aren't saying is and that you're saying if forced to make a call he "will be" but still a pretty crazy thought considering he's a 17/10 guy right now in 28 minutes at 19 years old and was taken at 20.

If it were me (and it wasn't), I might have said something like "still a bit too early to tell, lets see what happens." But you went there and threw out the label. Prepare for shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Anyone else noticing the ghost of Lloyd Pierce with all 3 of the games involving us blowing leads late and dropping 2 of 3 with poor execution down the stretch? I mean, if not for the buzzer beater by Rife we would have 3 blown lead losses under 2 minutes.

Matt Hill was originally on LP's staff. Whatever they were teaching still aint working when it comes to closing out games.

Thank goodness Nate is around to instill good habits. Apparently he told Sharife he had a 2 turnover limit. It all starts at the top.

IMHO our top 3ish guys are as good as anyone else's but the other teams' summer league squads are deeper than us. Many have multiple 2nd year players. Lets remember our #1 pick from last year (OO) isn't playing and things would be vastly different if he were. All we have playing is last year's #50 overall pick and a bunch of never sniff the nba'ers playing with Mays, Cooper and JJ.  Here is the roster, no center on the list:

Atlanta Hawks Summer League Roster

• Jalen Johnson, F
  • Sharife Cooper, G
  • Skylar Mays, G
  • Jeremiah Martin, G
  • Justin Jaworski, G
  • Ibi Watson, G
  • Max Heidegger, G
  • DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell, F
  • Admiral Schofield, F
  • Nahziah Carter, G
  • Eric Moreland, F
  • Juwan Durham, F
  • Javin DeLaurier, F
  • Jordan Bell, F
  • A.J. Lawson, G
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, niremetal said:

You seem to be the one mad.   You don't realize you are saying the same thing.

Again, I'm not mad. You seem to be the one taking everything personally.

Edited by marco102

Just now, marco102 said:

You seem the one mad when you don't realize you are saying the same thing.

Again, I'm not mad. You seem to be the one taking everything personally.

is vs will be....it is different but I'm not sure something to get your feathers in a ruffle over today.  JJ is going to be better than his draft slot (IMHO) by quite a bit.

6 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

What am I missing here?  Dude had a double double in 20 something minutes. He was frustrated by the crazy man play of the G League MVP whose game was junk yard dog cagey veteran hustleman grabby type.   I would have been frustrated too. He still had a great game and wanted to win down the stretch but his teammates were finding him late. I love everything I have seen from Deuce Coop and Dynamite so far in summer league. 

Duece Coop? Hell naw..lol..Just call the kid Coop or Rife.....

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

is vs will be....it is different but I'm not sure something to get your feathers in a ruffle over today.  JJ is going to be better than his draft slot (IMHO) by quite a bit.

Is vs will be. I get that Jalen currently isn't a bust, but nire is predicting Jalen will be. 

So nire is currently making a prediction Jalen will be a bust. So in my mind, nire is currently calling Jalen a bust, but doesn't understand I'm refuting his prediction of Jalen being a bust. If that mental gymnastics makes sense.

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

IMHO our top 3ish guys are as good as anyone else's but the other teams' summer league squads are deeper than us. Many have multiple 2nd year players. Lets remember our #1 pick from last year (OO) isn't playing and things would be vastly different if he were. All we have playing is last year's #50 overall pick and a bunch of never sniff the nba'ers playing with Mays, Cooper and JJ.  Here is the roster, no center on the list:

I don't disagree about the talent gap on paper, but we are still jumping out on these teams, building and carrying a lead throughout the game. So it's not like we are getting outclassed. The eye-ball test doesn't suggest that we are inferior to our opponents at all. 

It looks a lot like last season before the coaching change where we were losing winnable games, and it was always late game execution that was the culprit. Execution can still fall on the players but I thought it was an interesting parallel between Matt Hill and LP and how we look on the court. These young cats are not being taught how to win the way Nate teaches.

8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Is vs will be. I get that Jalen currently isn't a bust, but nire is predicting Jalen will be. 

So nire is currently making a prediction Jalen will be a bust. So in my mind, nire is currently calling Jalen a bust, but doesn't understand I'm refuting his prediction of Jalen being a bust. If that mental gymnastics makes sense.

Like I said, he stated a projection and now he has to live with it.

John Collins 5 games summer league rookie year in 23 MPG.

15.4 PPG, 9.2 RPG, 1APG, .8 SPG, .6 BPG, 59.3 FG%

Jalen Johnson through 3 games at 28 MPG.

17 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 1.7APG, .3 SPG, 1.3 BPG, 56.4 FG%

Basically Johnson is Collins so far in summer league. less than 3% FG% difference.  JC was 3 months older when he played his first season of summer league.

2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I don't disagree about the talent gap on paper, but we are still jumping out on these teams, building and carrying a lead throughout the game. So it's not like we are getting outclassed. The eye-ball test doesn't suggest that we are inferior to our opponents at all. 

It looks a lot like last season before the coaching change where we were losing winnable games, and it was always late game execution that was the culprit. Execution can still fall on the players but I thought it was an interesting parallel between Matt Hill and LP and how we look on the court. These young cats are not being taught how to win the way Nate teaches.

As the game progresses, depth usually wins out. I'm not concerned about it.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1