• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, HawkingAwesome said:

i hope you do well on your new team mays you earned it this game =D

He did. This was the first time I started to think maybe he can hack it at the point instead of just being a kind of undersized wing. Hope someone gives him a NBA deal even if it's not us. 

1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Mays may have played himself into some guaranteed money. Someone is gonna look to bite.

It's really really hard to earn a roster spot as a 2 guard. It's the deepest position in the NBA and the gleague.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, terrell said:

Did he go to a nightclub or something? smdh. I was hoping to see more Rife..Oh well..

I honestly didn't mind he was out this game even though you could definitely tell it from the start (lack of flow).

I'm with you on the next game though because I definitely wanted to see him and Miles McBride go head to head.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Anyone calling Mays the next Tyler Dorsey need to put some respeck back on his name lol

He's playing nothing like Tyler Dorsey did that summer league. I think Tyler may have passed the ball once to Trae...lol Tyler was a blackhole and just jacked up shot after shot. 

Mays is picking his spots much better and getting his teammates involved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, marco102 said:

He's playing nothing like Tyler Dorsey did that summer league. I think Tyler may have passed the ball once to Trae...lol Tyler was a blackhole and just jacked up shot after shot. 

Mays is clearly better than Dorsey to me but I don't know what Dorsey looks like right now. I am going by what he looked like in Atlanta 

34 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Facts, Dorsey was one dimensional at best. A shooter who couldn't really shoot well enough to be called a shooter.

Mays' feel for the game is spectacular. 
I want to remind people that he may be a sophomore in the NBA but he is the same age as JC. You can tell he has had a lot of basketball reps. He knows what is going in and what he wants to do. He makes great decisions with the ball.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Cwell said:

The comparison with Mays and Dorsey is the fact that both were 2nd round picks that won't have much of an NBA career. Nobody cares about similarities in playstyle

I think Mays could but he's gonna have to be better off the ball. That's where he has to grow or he might get that AAAA label. 

5 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I don't understand the point of paying a guy 5 million a year to be a mentor. Why not just hire a coach to be a mentor at 1/10 the cost? 

A coach can’t play PG or SG and come off the bench and sink a bunch of 3s in a pinch 😉 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Bonkers said:

I finally know who Mays reminds me of. Andre Miller

Now that you mention it.... good comp.

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

That's a lofty comparison. He had a tremendous career. 

It is.

But it's just a matter of form and style, for now at least.

I considered Andre to be the quintessential quarterback. He was in charge when he was on the floor. Mays isn't that. Andre was a pass-first guy. Mays isn't that either... in fact there have been times in summer league when he's gotten chucker's disease. Then again, Mays can shoot from range whereas Andre never really had that in his game iirc.

But both have a way of absorbing contact and still getting the ball in the hole... that's the form and style part where I see a lot of similarity.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, sturt said:

Now that you mention it.... good comp.

It is.

But it's just a matter of form and style, for now at least.

I considered Andre to be the quintessential quarterback. He was in charge when he was on the floor. Mays isn't that. Andre was a pass-first guy. Mays isn't that either... in fact there have been times in summer league when he's gotten chucker's disease. Then again, Mays can shoot from range whereas Andre never really had that in his game iirc.

But both have a way of absorbing contact and still getting the ball in the hole... that's the form and style part where I see a lot of similarity.

I think you're just remembering the other guy who had a perpetually incomplete goatee 😂