• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

I would like to see Mays groomed as  the eventual replacement for Lou Williams. Someone who can come in and get buckets.  Also no such thing as too much talent.  We have no idea what the ceiling is for our young players. Will anyone step up to star or super star level or will they just be good ballplayers that never elevate us to a championship. You never know so you keep accumulating good players. You can always use them in trade for the player or players that will put you on that championship level.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

I seriously don't understand why people aren't rooting for Mays. It's not like he's gonna block Cooper.

He works hard, plays smart, has good size, a well rounded game, solid attitude, etc. 

I don't think it's that people aren't rooting for Mays. I believe people are just more excited by the potential the rookies are showing.  Mays is doing what I expect him to do and glad he isn't struggling in the summer league setting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrhonline said:

I seriously don't understand why people aren't rooting for Mays. It's not like he's gonna block Cooper.

He works hard, plays smart, has good size, a well rounded game, solid attitude, etc. 

I am rooting for Mays badly but I understand his best place is being the 3rd banana to Coop and JJ in College Park. He doesn't standout as more than a 3rd stringer in the NBA. He has to develop as an off ball shooter to really have a position as a 2 in a rotation and his 1 skills just aren't strong enough at this stage. People aren't going to sign him on potential. They need to see him do it 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, AHF said:

I think most people are thinking of Lou playing big in the playoffs a few times.  In fact in terms of recent memory, here were his performances in two of his last three games:

21 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds

17 points, 5 assists, 2 rebounds

Had a decent number of solid (and more limited) off-the-bench appearances behind Trae as well.  

He can still contribute.  Just ideally need to be able to pull him quickly when he is not "on" that night.

You have never been a small sample size type guy...Why Now?

3 hours ago, JTB said:

Maybe it’s just me but I consider myself as someone who keeps up with anything nba related including summer league….I don’t recall seeing this many good performances in one summer league.

it seems like several draftees are having multiple good games. I get that it’s “just summer league”…but still I don’t remember this many rookies playing well in SL even if it’s not considered official nba talent 

This has the makings of an time great draft class. Tons of talented players. 

3 hours ago, JTB said:

Maybe it’s just me but I consider myself as someone who keeps up with anything nba related including summer league….I don’t recall seeing this many good performances in one summer league.

it seems like several draftees are having multiple good games. I get that it’s “just summer league”…but still I don’t remember this many rookies playing well in SL even if it’s not considered official nba talent 

From 2nd year players, sure. From rookies, naw. It's nowhere near as many as this year for sure. 

Edited by NBASupes

For those that have short memories.  Hawks 2019 Summer league

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Atlanta-Hawks/1/Rosters/Summer_League/2019

Player GP MIN PTS REB AST STL BLK TOV

Bruno Fernando 3 26.8 4.3 3.7 1.0 1.3 3.3 1.0
Omari Spellman 2 25.6 12.0 8.0 0.5 0.0 3.0 3.0

De'Andre Hunter 1 20.7 6.0 3.0 1.0 0.0 1.0 4.0

Hawk 2016 Summer League

Taurean Prince 3 26.4 13.7 6.0 1.7 3.0 0.7 3.3

DeAndre' Bembry 5 26.8 10.4 5.0 3.8 1.6 0.2 2.0

Edited by thecampster

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

You have never been a small sample size type guy...Why Now?

We’ve seen him do this for almost 20 years.  Why would I expect that to suddenly stop? He isn’t consistent enough to warrant a big regular role on our team next year but I think you’d have to ignore a huge sample of games to think he isn’t capable of lighting a fire off the bench.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

For those that have short memories.  Hawks 2019 Summer league

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Atlanta-Hawks/1/Rosters/Summer_League/2019

Bruno Fernando 3 26.8 4.3 3.7 1.0 1.3 3.3 1.0
Omari Spellman 2 25.6 12.0 8.0 0.5 0.0 3.0 3.0

De'Andre Hunter 1 20.7 6.0 3.0 1.0 0.0 1.0 4.0

Hawk 2016 Summer League

Taurean Prince 3 26.4 13.7 6.0 1.7 3.0 0.7 3.3

DeAndre' Bembry 5 26.8 10.4 5.0 3.8 1.6 0.2 2.0

Exactly.  JJ and Cooper dominated compared to past rookies playing in summer league.  Both dropped way too far.  We got two first round talents and Jalen is a top 5-7 guy.  

For all the talent we have I’m still concerned about losing Gallo.  He is a shooter and can create for himself on offense.  

• Like 2