• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Deepest Point Guard Draft since Jeff Teague 2009

sillent

I don't know about that. Last year PG was the best I've seen since 09 if not better. This class is intriguing 

Giddley Pure PG

Suggs Two way PG

Cooper Pure PG 

Mann Hybrid Guard

Butler Two way PG

Ayo Combo Guard 

Mitchell Combo Guard

While I see Ayo and Mitchell as 2s in the NBA, it wouldn't shock me if 4 of these guys ever became All Stars. It's not like 2020 which has 14 guys who could eventually become an all star in the NBA one day. That class was ridiculous PG wise.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sillent said:

This draft reminds me of the 2009 PG heavy draft. Of course there were some guys that weren't technically points but they atleast played it at a good amount of time in their careers.

That year 

James Harden #3 , Tyreke Evans #4, Ricky Rubio #5, Johnny Flynn #6, Brandon Jennings #10, Jrue Holiday #17, Ty Lawson #18, Jeff Teague #19, Patrick Beverly #42 and Patty Mills #55. 

Out of all those players there was truly only one bust and they all had their moments at a time or two.

This year is even deeper as far as PG prospects and perfect timing to draft our backup of the future. I know most of us want a vet but a vet doesn't fit our timeline and if these guards turn out as good or better than the 2009 guards we are set.

Tier 1

Cade Cunningham 6'8, Jalen Suggs 6'4, "Scottie Barnes" 6'9, Davion Mitchell 6'2, Josh Giddey 6'8

Tier 2 are guys I believe will be available around our #20 pick

Tre Mann 6'5, Sharife Cooper 6'1, Miles McBride 6'2, Ayo Dosunmu 6'5, Jaden Springer 6'4, Jared Butler 6'2 

A case can be made for us choosing either one of them but I believe since Travis Schlenk is looking for a backup to compliment Trae and our team he will choose a solid all around guy like Jared Butler or possibly even Miles McBride if Butler can't stay healthy.

Tier 3

Nah'Shon Hyland 6'3, Joel Ayayi 6'5, Daishon Nix 6'4, David Duke 6'5, David Johnson 6'5 and more...

This might be the deepest PG draft in history and whoever we pick I think we'll be pretty happy about.

Harden was a legit SG prospect. He didn't become this PG leaning hybrid guard till he joined the Rockets. 

Cunningham and Barnes are dual forwards and will always be dual forwards. 

Mitchell is a SG leaning combo guard 

Ayo will be a 2 in the NBA as well as Hyland although Hyland will be in a ball dominate role like Lou.

Ayayi, Duke, Springer, and Johnson are diverse guards who can play either position but not really PGs. 

McBride and Nix are PG leaning combo guards. Both will need time in the G-League. McBride reminds me a lot of Reggie Jackson. 

I don't see the potential in this class PG wise that I saw in 2020. 

Ball, Haliburton, Anthony, Hayes,.Lewis, Maxey, Hampton, Pritchard, Jones, Mannion, Maledon, Terry, Flynn, IQ, damn! All of those guys have a shot at, at least one all star game in their careers. Its insane how talented the PG class was in 2020.

1 minute ago, FrankWhite said:

Why’d you leave Steph off the list?

I had him but it must've gotten deleted the second or third time I was going back and forth for references.

I don't know how to add Supes but I thought I clearly stated people that have played the point guard for a decent amount of time like atleast a yr.

Technically Luka is a forward but obviously he's played PG aka Cunningham and most of the others on that list. Scottie Barnes might be the biggest question mark but than again who knows as his career progresses.

6 minutes ago, sillent said:

I had him but it must've gotten deleted the second or third time I was going back and forth for references.

I don't know how to add Supes but I thought I clearly stated people that have played the point guard for a decent amount of time like atleast a yr.

Technically Luka is a forward but obviously he's played PG aka Cunningham and most of the others on that list. Scottie Barnes might be the biggest question mark but than again who knows as his career progresses.

Steph was going to guard PGs. He's technically a PG when in reality, he's a hybrid guard. If it was a video game, he's a PG.

• Premium Member

The one thing that I note is that it's hard to tell if they are PGs.  A lot of fellas these days are what I call OGs... meaning that they can play PG but they have 2 guard skills and are not necessarily pure PGs.   Isaiah Thomas said something that Marbury adopted...in reference to Magic, Isaiah said "You are born a PG. "  His reference was to the fact that the true position of PG (pure PG) are instincts that can't really be taught.  I believe that.   I mean, I never considered Jason Terry a PG.  He was an OG in a PG's body.   When you look at Trae, Trae has OG skills but he's a pure PG... you can tell it by how he controls a game. 

My hope when looking over this list is that there's a pure PG that we can get.

While... selfishly.. I hope we get Duece McBride.  So that we can say we had the Ace, Duece, and Trae.

• Thanks 1

I've been watching a lot of film and I'm still a Tre Mann stan.  That shooting off the dribble and ability to play the pick and roll is too enticing not to draft for our backup PG.  He's also a pretty good passer to boot, but I think he'll need a little time to adjust to the faster reads in the NBA. 

This class has some really good quality for what the Hawks run and need at their pick.

I want to the Hawks to address backup center in free agency. 

With the second round pick, they should take a flier on BJ Boston.  He was at Norcross high with my neice and I'm always rooting for the kid.  It'll be great to have him back in Atl. You can never have too many useful wings.

• Like 2

Honestly, I'd draft Cooper and use the MLE to sign Patty Mills to 2 year deal (player option in the second year). Have Cooper use the first half of his rookie year learning under Trae and also utilizing the G-League where we can allow him to play through mistakes without hurting our playoff chances. If he's ready to take minutes away from Mills before the trading deadline, find a way to flip Mills into some assets moving forward. Then we win the title, lol.

• Like 2

I was discussing same issue, normally you can find good PGs this late in the draft, even more these years that teams are focusing on drafting wings.

The lis is long and I am aire we can find a good backup PG this late. My choice is Springer, Mann, Butler and Cooper un that order.

• Like 1

Tony Parker, Bledsoe, Holiday, Schröder, Rozier, Dwinddidie, Kemba Walker, Graham, Brogdon, Reggie Jackson, Cory Joseph, Napier, Tyus Jones, Delon Wright, Dejounte Murray, Derrick White, Frank Jackson, Aarón Holiday, Anfernee Simmons, Ty Jerome, Maxey, Hampton, Flynn, Desmond Bane.

List of PGs you can find around 20 is really really Deep and good. And as I said is increasing un recent years

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Patty Mills to 2 year deal (player option in the second year).

Ultimate pro. I like him despite being undersized he gets after it. Team guy that just gets it. Ya sign me up if no TJ McConnell he’s my first choice I think.

• Like 1