• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coaching Staff additions

sillent

I cannot find where I read this at but it seems Nate's son Jamelle McMillan (assistant coach for Pelicans) and I believe Joe Prunty (assistant coach for Suns) will be added to the coaching staff. 

Joe Prunty is of the coach Bud mold considering his foundation and has also been there with coach Nate when he was on the Blazers.

Of course his son is his son and could even be a possible successor and can grow with the young team. I may be looking too far into the future on that one.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sillent said:

I cannot find where I read this at but it seems Nate's son Jamelle McMillan (assistant coach for Pelicans) and I believe Joe Prunty (assistant coach for Suns) will be added to the coaching staff. 

Joe Prunty is of the coach Bud mold considering his foundation and has also been there with coach Nate when he was on the Blazers.

Of course his son is his son and could even be a possible successor and can grow with the young team. I may be looking too far into the future on that one.

See here.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

What does this say about Melvin Hunt?  Wasn’t he the lead assistant on Pierce’s staff before Nate got here?  

It says his contract expired and Nate wants his guys.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It says his contract expired and Nate wants his guys.

It also acknowledges he's not a good coach and, imho, is a snake behind the scenes.

Hey, he gone now so I can say what I really feel, right?  Last, what, 3 stops of his resulted in the HC getting fired.  He was named interim at the prior 2.  Ain't no coincidence.

Don't @ me.

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sillent said:

I meant to say I think Nate will keep them all. I know he doesn't typically have a deep style but he's growing and changing some of his old ways.

Melvin Hunt is already not returning.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, kg01 said:

It also acknowledges he's not a good coach and, imho, is a snake behind the scenes.

Hey, he gone now so I can say what I really feel, right?  Last, what, 3 stops of his resulted in the HC getting fired.  He was named interim at the prior 2.  Ain't no coincidence.

Don't @ me.

Interesting. He was credited with the offensive system we were running. It is probably best that he is gone because he would have lost his number 2 role and probably have been a little salty.  He should get a shot on a contending team as a number 2. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

ATLANTA  The Atlanta Hawks today announced multiple hirings and promotions within the Basketball Operations group, including the additions of Joe Prunty and Jamelle McMillan to Head Coach Nate McMillan’s coaching staff.  Prunty and Jamelle McMillan join Chris Jent, Matt Hill and Marlon Garnett to finalize the coaching staff.

To support the coaching staff, the Hawks have promoted Dipesh Mistry from video coordinator to coaching assistant and Paul Jesperson from assistant video coordinator to player development coach. The Hawks have also hired Tim Dather (DAY-ther) as head video coordinator/player development.

Marty Lauzon joins the Hawks as the team’s director of athletic performance and sports medicine, following an 11-year stint with the Atlanta Falcons where he started as head athletic trainer/physical therapist (2010-13) before being promoted to director of sports medicine and performance (2013-21). 

Takahiro Uchida was hired to the Athletic Performance Team as assistant athletic trainer following his work as a seasonal athletic trainer during the 2020-21 season. 

In the front office, Dotun Akinwale Jr. was promoted to senior director of player personnel. Now in his seventh season with the Hawks

Kira Tillinghast has been hired full-time as the player engagement coordinator after working in the front office as a seasonal assistant from 2019 to 2021. She attended Temple University, serving as team manager in 2015-16 before working at Arete Sports Agency from 2016 to 2019.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Keep it all in the family with his son that’s cool Nate. What happened to getting GP on the staff and that all star break rumor?

Gary Payton is going to be the new head coach at Lincoln University this fall.

https://247sports.com/Article/Gary-Payton-accepts-head-coach-job-at-Lincoln-University-2021-college-basketball-season--166183607/#:~:text=NBA Hall-of-Fame point,Payton's hometown of Oakland%2C California.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why are the Hawks hiring anyone from the Falcons organization?They used to clown that dude in 2018 when most of the players were always on  the training table or out for the year..smh

• Moderators

Probably a simple case of Where The Money Resides (i.e., his contract simply hasn't run out yet while outside interest is low) but I do find it curious that former Santa Clara star Marlon "Money G" Garnett is sticking around for the post-LP phase.

~lw3

• Premium Member

Here's the question I had...

How did Melvin Hunt keep his job after throwing a chair at Trae?

I think this showed a little bit of the discourse between Trae and LP.   LP was supposed to protect his stars. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...