• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Roster Spots Available

sillent

With the contracts we already have and the assumption we keep JC how much room is actually left on the roster?

If we keep (which we should) Trae, Bogi, Hunter, JC, Clint with Delon Wright, Huerter, Reddish, Gallo, (OO)*, Sharife Cooper and Jalen Johnson that's 12 players. If we also decide to keep Skylar Mays and Nathan Knight and give them full contracts that's 14 players leaving one roster spot and 2 two way spots.

Solo really gained my respect last season (before playoffs) but he may be the odd man out. We definitely should bring one of our vets back and that 15 spot should be given to Lou Will.

He's another hometown kid/mentor to not only our guards but other young players on this team. He is also still one of the best 4th quarter scorers in the league.

The rest of our roster will more than likely be filled by two way players. I can see in one case Solo comes back and Skylar does another 2way. I got a feeling Skylar as well as the rest of our young players Cooper, Cam, Jalen & Knight impress during the summer league and all plead their spot on the squad.

We can guess and wish all day but if we keep the core together which I think is more logical then any random trade then there aren't many roster spots available.

Again I can see Lou Will and hoping atleast one athletic 7fter for our 2way player. Like someone mentioned, knowing Travis that player will probably be 1-3 inches away from a 7fter but I can wish.

Edited by sillent
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have 11 players with guaranteed contracts.

PG: Young, Wright
SG: Bogdan, Huerter
SF: Hunter, Reddish
PF: Collins, Gallinari, Johnson
😄 Capela, Okongwu

4 slots to fill on the 15 man NBA roster and 2 2way slots - so a total of 6 spots.

I think many are sleeping on Sharife. He may get a 2way but I doubt it. Either way can we not say we should have atleast 12 including him?

Skylar Mays and Nathan Knight have both proved themselves serviceable in limited minutes. 

Than there's Lou Will.

On paper or technically we have 4 -6 spots but in reality 2 - 4 of those main slots are more than likely locked up. Besides I doubt we get better talent compared to price tag than the 4 above.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, sillent said:

I think many are sleeping on Sharife. He may get a 2way but I doubt it. Either way can we not say we should have atleast 12 including him?

Skylar Mays and Nathan Knight have both proved themselves serviceable in limited minutes. 

Than there's Lou Will.

On paper or technically we have 4 -6 spots but in reality 2 - 4 of those main slots are more than likely locked up. Besides I doubt we get better talent compared to price tag than the 4 above.

I have only listed our 11 guarantees as they currently stand. 

It's yet to be determined who gets the NBA contracts vs 2ways. IIRC, we've never had the same 2 ways return in consecutive years.

What if a team offers Mays or Knight an NBA contract?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Lou Will will resign is what BR is reporting. 

Everything is rumor for now.

Lou can decide to cash in one last time, similar to how Rondo did.

As you said earlier, things change quickly.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What if a team offers Mays or Knight an NBA contract?

I believe I learned from your own post (?) originally, it's an RFA situation and we get to decide whether or not to match.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

I believe I learned from your own post (?) originally, it's an RFA situation and we get to decide whether or not to match.

If the Hawks issue them Qualifying offers and make them RFAs. I don't know if that has happened.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

I think that's right--but they are non-Bird FAs, so we would have to have cap space.

What I don't know is this: if Team X signs one of them to an offer sheet using cap space, are we allowed to match using our MLE or BAE? I think that's the situation we'll find ourselves in, because I think JC's contract or matched offer sheet will be signed before any other team tries to nab Mays or Knight. 

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

I look at it like this

Outgoing/unsigned Players

Goodwin

Snell

Hill

Lou

Bruno

Dunn

Mays

Knight

Incoming/returning(*hopefully) players

Cooper

Johnson

Wright

Hill (*)

Lou (*)

Mays 

Knight

There is one spot available for a big man in this case. Mays, Knight and Cooper are all 2 way candidates.

Knight all of a sudden becomes expendable after we drafted Johnson (who coincidentally took Knight's jersey number too)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I look at it like this

Goodwin

Snell

Hill

Lou

Bruno

Dunn

Mays

Knight

Cooper

Johnson

Wright

Hill (*)

Lou (*)

Mays 

Knight

There is one spot available for a big man in this case. Mays, Knight and Cooper are all 2 way candidates.

Knight all of a sudden becomes expendable after we drafted Johnson (who coincidentally took Knight's jersey number too)

I think/hope Cooper shows he's a guarantee early. I can see Mays possibly coming back as a two way but I think him and Knight have shown enough to be 2 of our 13-15 spots. I know we didn't see them much/enough but they've shown alot in the little time they've had.

I'd be very surprised if we don't hold on to Knight and run him with Jalen Johnson (2 beasts) even though yeah Jalen did take his number. I'm hoping Knight planned on changing it anyway. Either way running a Wright, Huerter, Reddish, Johnson and Knight could be a nasty/pesky defensive squad to throw out there.

I can even see Knight playing a Solomon Hill type role (if we don't keep him) and filling in for 3 positions (SF-C) when needed.

On 7/31/2021 at 3:37 PM, NBASupes said:

Lou Will will resign is what BR is reporting. When he's on can generate offense. I wish the Hawks had someone like curry of Philly who killed the Hawks in the playoffs. Seemed like everytime he shot the ball was going in. Philly has some other long range shooters wish Hawks had. I realize with Hunter and Reddish coming back will help but I hate seeing the team go through long droughts of miss after miss shooting.     

I saw that don't know if that's a good thing or not.  

23 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I look at it like this

Goodwin

Snell

Hill

Lou

Bruno

Dunn

Mays

Knight

Cooper

Johnson

Wright

Hill (*)

Lou (*)

Mays 

Knight

Knight plays the 5 as well. JJ doesn't. 

• Thanks 1

Assuming Solo and Lou come back and Cooper earns himself a guaranteed contract that's 14 spots filled. With OO being out to start, look for a cheap option in FA to fill that void until he comes back. Knight on a 2 way works and lets us keep roster flexibility by leaving 1 slot open. Would really like an actual vet big though a la Dedmon, Dieng, Len, etc.

• Like 1