• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

42 minutes ago, hazer said:

ATL ain’t a “small market”, we’re Top 10 NBA market:

https://hoop-social.com/nba-team-market-size-rankings/

I’ve never understood this either. Atlanta is a big market city why the heck is it an small NBA market. I’ve really found that to be dang annoying over the years. Come into our shoe 👞 stores 🏬 and live in Atlanta in the off-season, dating back to the 80’s for me. I hate it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ve never understood this either. Atlanta is a big market city why the heck is it an small NBA market. I’ve really found that to be dang annoying over the years. Come into our shoe 👞 stores 🏬 and live in Atlanta in the off-season, dating back to the 80’s for me. I hate it. 

So its a lot about what there is to do.  Up north its too cold to do things outdoors so school gyms,YMCAs are a big thing in the winter. Everyone plays ball. Every couple of blocks is a small city park with a hoop at it. Its culture.

Here things are spread farther out (has to do with snow plows and burying water lines). Less community play areas, more outdoor activities in the winter, shorter winter.  We play outdoor games here (football/baseball).  Growing up there vs raising my kids here it was obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'mma keep my Giddey talk up.

Aussie Simmons.

I took the trade to RealGM...  This is what I got back:

diesel50 wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:Big no thanks from OKC. Dort’s value is way more than this.

I do think ATL is a good potential partner for a Dort deal, but the price would be much higher. I was thinking more like Huerter for Dort +Kenrich or similar.

What about Huerter/1st for Giddey.
either 1st this year or next year's first unprotected.

Oof. That's tough. Not cause the value. Assuming that the ATL pick doesn't move too much (currently #9), I think the value is fair. But, it does push the tank back another year - which hurts.

I think I'd do it, but would be curious to know what my fellow OKC posters think.

39 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

It's a small Basketball market. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, GameTime said:

Is Chris Haynes the new Trae Young mouthpiece?

You should take anything from Haynes and from a players perspective seriously. Haynes is one of the most popular writers with players in the NBA and their representatives. Especially west coast guys and Klutch guys with a high profile.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I believe I was the first one with sources to mention that Trae is actively talking to Travis about improving the team and he has a list of players. Chris Haynes is 100% legit. Every thing he said matches up to my source except for I think some context. Trae is not a diva. He wants to win games and win rings IN Atlanta. He has zero interest in leaving. He believes if they get him a guy where he can come off the ball more (his dad said the same thing) and catch and shoot it will raise this team to another level.

And the biggest name that can do that  is Ben Simmons. I have been playing Ben and Trae in the backcourt with Trae as the SG and holy moses is that team unbeatable in 2k. Yes, yes I know it is 2k. But what they do together would blend so well. Ben has the ball and attacks the basket. Defense collapses to help him...and oh hey is that Trae with a wide open three? We can stagger minutes to let them each have time running the offense.

I told you guys Trae was talking serious with Travis. He wants this team to be improved. Atlanta is not a free agent destination so they need to make some trades to get some bodies in here. This isn't Trae trying to run the Hawks. He just wants HELP and another ball handler/shot creator that will take some of the pressure off him to expend all his energy on offense and have little on defense. 

This is a great post. Most on here will disagree with me but I really hope we get Simmons by the deadline and no to those reading this…I do not dislike Collins or Hunter…I just think Simmons can be extremely impactful with Trae and I just happen to trust Schlenk will make sure the roster fits around Trae and Simmons.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ve had a love/hate relationship with him. He’s a dog though, so is Jaylen, at the right price sure, why not. :sarcastic:

ps I love our core though :indifferent:

I hate him. So I want him on the Hawks to make other teams’ fans hate him so I can like him 😬

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's a small Basketball market. 

No it’s not, this is a myth, you didn’t check out the link I posted. Here it is again, broken down into large/medium/small markets with exact and specific nimbers. ATL is a large NBA market, in the Top 10. I’ve heard Koonin, being a TV industry guy extremely versed in markets, go on a rant about this very subject on 92.9 on a couple of occasions:

Edited by hazer
  • Like 4

• Premium Member

Why I switched from Simmons to Giddey...

I don't want anybody to think that I think any less of Simmons.  I think Simmons is still probably (outside of 2017 Klay) the best match for Trae... BUT...

I heard that Sacramento was offering Heild, Haliburton, Bagley and Barnes for Simmons and Harris.  Morey would be a fool to not take this deal.  I heard that he was posturing to see if we'd get in... and then I heard that he wanted a stronger package with J Brown out of Boston.  If the rumored offer was Horford, Brown and Schröder for Harris and Simmons... Morey would be a fool not to take the deal.  So I can't see us having a package that competes with either of those.. because we're not giving them Trae and we're not giving them OO. 

Giddey is not the defensive player that Simmons is but the guy can ball.   He's got some Larry Bird court vision.  Not quite Jason Kidd or any elite PG but he falls in the ream of Simmons and Bird. 

3 minutes ago, hazer said:

No it’s not, this is a myth, you didn’t check out the link I posted. Here it is again, broken down into large/medium/small markets with exact and specific numbers. ATL is a large NBA market, in the Top 10. I’ve heard Koonin, being a TV industry guy extremely versed in markets, go on a rant about this very subject on 92.9 on a couple of occasions:

But it is. And I say that as someone that's been to game for many years. Are TV ratings? Meh. Our attendance hasn't been in the top 5 ever. In the NBA, a big market is LA, NY, MIA, and CHI. DAL, HOU, BOS, PHI, and TOR are considered mid sized. Everyone else is small market 

If this was college football, Atlanta is the epicenter 

12 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Why I switched from Simmons to Giddey...

I don't want anybody to think that I think any less of Simmons.  I think Simmons is still probably (outside of 2017 Klay) the best match for Trae... BUT...

I heard that Sacramento was offering Heild, Haliburton, Bagley and Barnes for Simmons and Harris.  Morey would be a fool to not take this deal.  I heard that he was posturing to see if we'd get in... and then I heard that he wanted a stronger package with J Brown out of Boston.  If the rumored offer was Horford, Brown and Schröder for Harris and Simmons... Morey would be a fool not to take the deal.  So I can't see us having a package that competes with either of those.. because we're not giving them Trae and we're not giving them OO. 

Giddey is not the defensive player that Simmons is but the guy can ball.   He's got some Larry Bird court vision.  Not quite Jason Kidd or any elite PG but he falls in the ream of Simmons and Bird. 

Ain't tryna burst your bubble but OKC aren't trading Giddey for no one on our roster outside of their hometown boy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

But it is. And I say that as someone that's been to game for many years. Are TV ratings? Meh. Our attendance hasn't been in the top 5 ever. In the NBA, a big market is LA, NY, MIA, and CHI. DAL, HOU, BOS, PHI, and TOR are considered mid sized. Everyone else is small market 

If this was college football, Atlanta is the epicenter 

Cool, I’ve been going to Hawks games since the early 80s at The Omni. Hawks “in person” crowds have long been inconsistent. Population and TV nimbers don’t lie though, I’ve supplied them and feel free to look up more to counter the fact that ATL is a Top 10 NBA market. Note: you won’t find any. But you might be surprised to find that during playoffs, ATL market nimbers even jump into Top 5 NBA market territory. Koonin, a TV marketing guy, knows and shouts this 😉 

image.gif.5b8ec300f61740999933a2530b71648a.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GameTime said:

Is Chris Haynes the new Trae Young mouthpiece?

First, I've always said that Trae needs to play off the ball.  Thats his mentality anyway.  He is a scorer first.  Thats why I harped on getting Kyrie Irving ( which obviously the Hawks are not exploring with the Nets).  Thats a versatile backcourt in which either player can play either position.  Simmons would fit Trae playing off the ball too because of his makeup.  The comments in the video are lining up with why the Hawks are pursuing Simmons.

Next, Atlanta is NOT a small market.  Its one of the top markets in sports, period.  Television demographics prove that. The Hawks have BEHAVED like a small market though because they don't go out of their way to bring superstars into Atlanta. I don't buy into superstars not wanting to play for the Hawks because Atlanta is a sports and entertainment mecca and is the home of more athletes than any city in North America.

27 minutes ago, hazer said:

Cool, I’ve been going to Hawks games since the early 80s at The Omni. Hawks “in person” crowds have long been inconsistent. Population and TV nimbers don’t lie though, I’ve supplied them and feel free to look up more to counter the fact that ATL is a Top 10 NBA market. Note: you won’t find any. But you might be surprised to find that during playoffs, ATL market nimbers even jump into Top 5 NBA market territory. Koonin, a TV marketing guy, knows and shouts this 😉 

Atlanta is most definitely a top 10 market in sports.  Atlanta is the sports capital of America even though the pro teams are not on that level.  The crowds are inconsistent because everyone knows that Atlanta is a transient city.  The pro teams haven't won enough to sway people away from teams they rooted for before coming to Atlanta.  There is a core fanbase of fans from Atlanta, but not enough because of the constant losing.  

As far as the NBA goes when it comes to the Hawks, the NBA is a culprit in treating the Hawks like a small market.  Previous Hawks ownership backed it up.  I don't care what anybody says, the NBA is about MARKETING FIRST, and they have just a few cities that they market. If you watch First Take and Undisputed on ESPN, you would think the Lakers were the only team in the NBA.

• Thanks 1

Last comment of the night for me ….if you’re Schlenk and you’re preparing to trade for Simmons this isn’t a major trade to save the season ….this is a near future championship trade move.

That’s how the front office have to think in my opinion. Adding two major pieces together to form a run at a championship in the very near future.

if they aren’t feeling Simmons is a championship piece they of course shouldn’t trade for him. It’s almost one of those things you “just know”…

I am now at a point where I think it’s obvious Trae and Simmons will work great together 

Edited by JTB

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

You should take anything from Haynes and from a players perspective seriously. Haynes is one of the most popular writers with players in the NBA and their representatives. Especially west coast guys and Klutch guys with a high profile.

I love the dude I hope he gets all our assignments on national tv. I like him a lot more than the other people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Ain't tryna burst your bubble but OKC aren't trading Giddey for no one on our roster outside of their hometown boy.

Ya Giddey is their poster boy for the next 3-5 years maybe more. The city 🏙 already loves that kid.

58 minutes ago, hazer said:

I just don't agree. We got a lot NBA fans but a lot of them got allegiance to different teams. A big market usually got those too but they got a lot of local fans too. We literally just had a game where at home, we heard let's go Heat chants.