CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

• Premium Member

This looks like the Lonzo Ball situation. He couldn't cut it for a team with championship aspirations and was moved from his drafted team.

Couple seasons later he's a major contributor to a playoff team. Cam's third team is gonna love him.

Sayonara my sweet.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

Here's where we're at cap-wise.  My guess is early extension talks with Reddish's team were not going well.  We could realistically never afford to pay both him and Hunter and the org clearly chose Hunter.  We got what we could for Reddish before letting him walk in RFA.

image.png

Trae and Heurter's extensions kick in next year but we still have ~$16M in space.  If we can clear Bogi/Gallo that gives us another $23M to hopefully land an all-star level player.  TBD from here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Really niether has been that much better at either end then Cam. Well, Huerter has been substantially better, but we love to relegate his ass to the bench anyway and give TLC a big portion of his minutes so...

I think your point about Huerter vs TLC is the biggest head scratcher to me. I think Huerter has been our best wing this season by a country mile, but he still somehow has to battle with TLC for minutes and a role in the starting lineup. Definitely one of the consistenly worst decisions Nate has made this season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Golden State only has two of the greatest shooters of all time, just thought I'd mention that.

I dont even think Simmons with our funky bunch will even work much less he will be crying about touches till the playoffs when he goes into his yearly shell. That said, at least, he's a baller in the regular season 

People made the same arguments against Nique.  Doesn't make the team better etc.  The year they truly put the pieces around him they traded him.  And guess what we were missing in the playoffs? Someone to get his shot off.  The advance stats, the eye test, the playoffs say Trae is 75% of the solution and 25% the problem. Don't focus on the 25% Concerning Trae.  Get 4 other guys to carry the %25.  If we were just average on defense we would be contenders.  That ain't all on Trae 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aali34 said:

This looks like the Lonzo Ball situation. He couldn't cut it for a team with championship aspirations and was moved from his drafted team.

Couple seasons later he's a major contributor to a playoff team. Cam's third team is gonna love him.

Sayonara my sweet.

image.png

No, not the cat crying picture. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

I dont even think Simmons with our funky bunch will even work much less he will be crying about touches till the playoffs when he goes into his yearly shell. That said, at least, he's a baller in the regular season 

Does he have a history of complaining about touches? Genuinely curious.

I’m having a hard time understanding this deal. First, if this is a precursor for another bigger deal, why wouldn’t that team prefer a young player on a rookie deal, even if he only has 1.5 years left in that deal over a bottom 20 first rounder, potentially 2nd picks? And are we all so biased that we are literally the only ones that thought that Cam should garner better compensation? I sure as shit am and think Travis lost his shit after another poor showing last night.. which by the way Cam didn’t even f***ing play! 

I’m obviously not happy with this but unless this move does lead to a star player, I think there needs to be some accountability.. ie Travis needs to be go.

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Here's where we're at cap-wise.  My guess is early extension talks with Reddish's team were not going well.  We could realistically never afford to pay both him and Hunter and the org clearly chose Hunter.  We got what we could for Reddish before letting him walk in RFA.

image.png

Trae and Heurter's extensions kick in next year but we still have ~$16M in space.  If we can clear Bogi/Gallo that gives us another $23M to hopefully land an all-star level player.  TBD from here.

Doesn't Bogi have a trade kicker?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, SalvorMallow said:

I think your point about Huerter vs TLC is the biggest head scratcher to me. I think Huerter has been our best wing this season by a country mile, but he still somehow has to battle with TLC for minutes and a role in the starting lineup. Definitely one of the consistenly worst decisions Nate has made this season. 

Heurter has been the only player to not only attempt to get to the rim, but actually get some buckets without Trae's help relatively consistently.  He's improved his game a lot even if he's no all-star.

• Like 1

Just now, SalvorMallow said:

Does he have a history of complaining about touches? Genuinely curious.

Yeah, he does. He's cries more about spacing. He hated playing with Jojo because Jojo takes too much spacing. I can't see how him and Clint could coexist

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, SalvorMallow said:

I feel a part of the reason Cam was moved like this is because I am willing to bet he was FUMING after having TLC pass him in the depth chart. One thing I will give Huerter is that he has been an amazing team player. I would be demanding a trade if a team was starting TLC over me and I was Huerter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If this leads to Karl Anthony Towns, I will shut the f*** up and gladly say, you did what you had to do. But I don't trust Travis right now or the Hawks organization 

Maybe relax until the trade deadline and then meltdown if nothing happens like the rest of us? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

A Simmons trade is super risky, no question about it. 

You would do well to read this article on the head scratching reduction in playing time of Kevin Knox. From January last year.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2021/1/19/22239261/the-incremental-improvement-of-kevin-knox

"As of Tuesday morning, Knox was second in the NBA in corner threes among players who have taken at least 20 such shots (15-26, 57.7%), behind only Kentavious Caldwell-Pope of the Los Angeles Lakers (13-21, 61.9%). Last season, Knox finished 13-51 on corner threes (25.5%). As a rookie, he was 30-80 from the corner (37.5%). Thus, he’s on pace to shoot more corner threes while hitting a higher percentage than ever before."

"Not only is Knox playing a more efficient style of offense, he’s hustling. Proof of that can be seen on the margins. For instance, he’s tied for first on the Knicks with 6 defensive loose balls recovered this year, and tied for fourth on the team in overall loose balls recovered. Last year, Knox recovered 6 defensive loose balls and 23 total loose balls for the year, good for 12th and tied for 9th on the team, respectively.

Not that he’s some crazy defensive menace, but, much like the rest of the team, Knox has displayed clear improvement on that side of the ball. His defensive rating (108 exactly) is the best of his young career, and while it’s only slightly better than last year (108.6), it’s significantly better than his rookie season (115). The defensive rating stat estimates the points a player allows per 100 possessions, so lower numbers are better. He has contributed to an improved team defense: the Knicks at large are ranked fifth in the NBA in defensive rating. They finished last season 23rd in the NBA in defensive rating."

FYI, Cam's defensive rating is 113.8.

If  you are making the argument of why Cam for Knox, an argument can be made that he's a more efficient player and makes less mistakes (not a better player or prospect).

• Thanks 2