• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

The value for Cam goes down the closer you get to his RFA.  You don't get anything for letting him walk and as @JayBirdHawk showed, you get almost nothing for sign-and-trades.  The difference between now and that point his value steadily goes down because in RFA teams have to pay him what he's worth.  Right now he's good value on his rookie deal.  I think most people are missing this... 

This is basically what my source told me when he told me to sit down and not get upset. I got most upset which he knew was going to happen haha. But yes, the closer you get to someone hitting RFA they don't increase in value. You lose value because other teams know you aren't going to sign the guy. Cam has been wanting a bigger role for two seasons now and LP/Nate wouldn't agree to it.

So expect Cam to get an extension hammered out soon over this. He wasn't going to stay in Atlanta. It did hurt our hand in trade offers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I heard about it this morning from my source and didn't believe it. I was told to keep mum because deal wasn't finalized. 

I hate this trade. I would have much rather used Cam as the sweetener on a Gallo/Bogi type deal to get a big name. But this return is so low. We now have to hope the Hornets have the 19th or worst pick in the first round just to get a first rounder back. Knox is a complete bust and won't get any run here barring injuries. 

For those throwing Travis under the bus I know this. Travis wouldn't have done this trade if he honestly believed he could get a better deal in a couple of weeks. As @NBASupes and @thecampster have said, I think I mentioned this but I'll say it again: this is a seller's market. There are so few teams willing to make a big trade that has dried up the market in a lot of ways. 

If you told me before the season this is what we would get for Cam I would have laughed in your face. Cam has a real chance to at least be an above average NBA starter. What are we getting with the AT BEST 19th pick in the draft? Another rookie that Nate refuses to play?

If we're not using these assets in a follow-up deal, then I don't see the rationale.  Unless as others have suggested, he was some sort of locker room problem and we were not confident in his potential... That would make sense. Otherwise, you just continue to showcase him and let him walk at the end of the season if it comes down to money. 

I would have rather have seen that especially if we throw in the towel on this season.  If we ended up in the lottery, use him to move up or package him and our pick.  Hell if we look like a lottery team at the deadline, how do we not get a better deal for Cam and that pick?

One for one, this just doesn't make any sense to me. Not unless Knox is some sort of hidden gem. WTF is going on....smh

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Wretch said:

If we're not using these assets in a follow-up deal, then I don't see the rationale.  Unless as others have suggested, he was some sort of locker room problem and we were not confident in his potential... That would make sense. Otherwise, you just continue to showcase him and let him walk at the end of the season if it comes down to money. 

I would have rather have seen that especially if we throw in the towel on this season.  If we ended up in the lottery, use him to move up or package him and our pick.  Hell if we look like a lottery team at the deadline, how do we not get a better deal for Cam and that pick?

One for one, this just doesn't make any sense to me. Not unless Knox is some sort of hidden gem. WTF is going on....smh

giphy.gif

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

So just keep him then. He can still help us win games. If Hunter goes down, we're stuck playing TLC like a starter.

We can't keep him.  We cannot afford him clearly. Look at our cap situation referenced below.  Unless you think Ressler is willing to go into the luxury tax to pay a guy who very well might be a talented bust.

25 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Here's where we're at cap-wise.  My guess is early extension talks with Reddish's team were not going well.  We could realistically never afford to pay both him and Hunter and the org clearly chose Hunter.  We got what we could for Reddish before letting him walk in RFA.

image.png

Trae and Heurter's extensions kick in next year but we still have ~$16M in space.  If we can clear Bogi/Gallo that gives us another $23M to hopefully land an all-star level player.  TBD from here.

Simmons is a 4 offensively and doesn't work with Capela at all. That's a fact. 

But what Simmons gives us that Trae can't is he covers ground like a elephant. He makes it possible where your wings dont have to be all that good. They can be Ben McLemore types. You know, min players. They can defend in a team setting but they can't create for shit and they damn sure can't dribble. They can't really protect either, sorry Trae. He gives you that ability. 

That said, Trae best offense is the PnR. You gotta get a center that can space the floor and run the PnR. Do you look at Gallo for Horford who worked extremely well with Simmons in Philly? But Horford is not an offensive threat in the PnR like that anymore so you question that fit. Atlanta would honestly have to get Sabonis if they get Simmons.

Trae

McLemore

Hunter

Simmons

Sabonis could work 

Simmons gives you a lot of personnel options that we can't use right now because you need such a unique defender.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Cam wanted out. He wanted a role that we weren't going to give him. He wanted an extension we weren't going to give him. Once they paid Kevin that meant Cam was out the door. The only question would be what would the Hawks get back for him. 

This makes the Luka trade much worse now. I love Trae but having Trae AND Cam really sold me on that trade. Now in retrospect if Cam develops he'll be a conference rival in NY and the Hawks will NEVER stop hearing how they gave up on him for so little. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

The value for Cam goes down the closer you get to his RFA.  You don't get anything for letting him walk and as @JayBirdHawk showed, you get almost nothing for sign-and-trades.  The difference between now and that point his value steadily goes down because in RFA teams have to pay him what he's worth.  Right now he's good value on his rookie deal.  I think most people are missing this... 

It depends on Cam progression of course. It absolutely can but it can absolutely go up

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wretch said:

A hidden  gem clip is more likely.

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It probably is fair to say we look at Cam's upside, great length and athleticism, but not his downside, which is injuries and sloppy play. Still though, we should have done better. Supposedly we wanted Grimes in the deal.

That Luka for Trae/Reddish deal didn't work out.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I can tell @thecampster doesn't watch the Knicks. Knox can shoot corner 3s but his offensive and defensive BBIQ is awful. He is always late on rotations. He's a defensive tweener. Knox is a homeless mans Jerami Grant with better shooting. Knox is a min player. If you dislike Jalen for his feel for the game, wait till you get a hold of Knoxy

This literally sounds like a description of Cam. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

This is basically what my source told me when he told me to sit down and not get upset. I got most upset which he knew was going to happen haha. But yes, the closer you get to someone hitting RFA they don't increase in value. You lose value because other teams know you aren't going to sign the guy. Cam has been wanting a bigger role for two seasons now and LP/Nate wouldn't agree to it.

So expect Cam to get an extension hammered out soon over this. He wasn't going to stay in Atlanta. It did hurt our hand in trade offers.

LP/Nate would not agree to it.....mmmmmmmm. WTH - at least give him some direction to help him get there.  This does not sit right with me when I also consider that JC has gone to them both about the offense and have gone unheard............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

5 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Letting him walk for NOTHING is not an option in my book.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Bro dropped 36 and 30 multiple times and showcased high end talent. Man, you Cam haters will be on suicide alert. I already know and accepted what's coming. 

@Sothron, you can add me to the list for this being the most disappointing season and maybe era in Hawks history 

I really can't disagree with you on this one at all. I was high on Cam and thought he should be starting already for us. Instead Nate fell in love with a scrub in TLC and Bogi on one leg still starts over Cam. Cam has every chance of being an above average starter in the NBA. 

Once the Hawks gave Kevin that money Cam was out the door. Other teams knew this. We couldn't pay Cam too or give him the role he wanted. I'm curious once your source gets in touch with you if what he says differs from my guy at all on this. Cam got what he wanted and the Hawks sadly got very little return for it.

I can only pray Travis flips that pick in a bigger deal at some point. Cuz otherwise it is just giving up on a guy and drafting another rookie Nate will never play.

• Like 4