• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Here's where we're at cap-wise.  My guess is early extension talks with Reddish's team were not going well.  We could realistically never afford to pay both him and Hunter and the org clearly chose Hunter.  We got what we could for Reddish before letting him walk in RFA.

image.png

Then you wait until the last year of his rookie deal and hope you get a better return. Seriously if this doesn’t lead to another star player, this makes zero sense to me.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Atlanta had been canvassing league for a mid-first round pick or a young player in a Reddish deal. Hawks had discussed variations of trade with Knicks, but landed on the Charlotte first-round pick. Pacers, Lakers among teams who had discussed Reddish scenarios with Hawks lately.
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Expect some media tidbits about Cam to drop in the coming days.  Next 3 bad turnover game Cam has, expect the New York media to eat him alive. They aren't nearly as good at keeping secrets as the Atlanta media.

This is what will bring clarity for everyone.  There have been snippets of concerns with Reddish that we might get more context on... such as him going back to Philly to train with at his high school and work on playing his game how he played in high school... my guess is he did not want to be a team player.  Maybe we asked him to work on facets of his game and he just did his own thing, who knows... his attitude has always been weird and he's never seemed to gel with the rest of the team... or maybe his extension situation was already proving to be untenable so we needed to get whatever value we could... time will tell

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I feel a part of the reason Cam was moved like this is because I am willing to bet he was FUMING after having TLC pass him in the depth chart. One thing I will give Huerter is that he has been an amazing team player. I would be demanding a trade if a team was starting TLC over me and I was Huerter. 

Has to be it. Gonna be hard to convince anybody that Lou and TLC need more touches/shots than them. Especially coming off his covid run.

3 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I feel a part of the reason Cam was moved like this is because I am willing to bet he was FUMING after having TLC pass him in the depth chart. One thing I will give Huerter is that he has been an amazing team player. I would be demanding a trade if a team was starting TLC over me and I was Huerter. 

Kevin is a coaches son. He was born to be a team guy. They say he stays late at practices to help rookies, and other stuff that most guys wouldn't do.

• Like 2

The more I think on it, I'm pretty convinced this isn't a direct precursor to another deal.  Just meaning, I don't think Schlenk already has something agreed and we will hear about it in 24 hours type deal.  It's just a matter of getting what you can for a guy that you are ready to move on from and isn't helping your team win and might not be helping your locker room either (which is the scuttle from thecampster).

That said, we are actually more likely to be able to make a big deal if it presents itself, because a pick will naturally have more value than Cam in a package.  We also have two other guys with similar salaries to Cam to include in deals if it comes to that (Dieng, Lou).

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, DS5 said:

Then you wait until the last year of his rookie deal and hope you get a better return.

If you wait the value goes down... not counting max-level players, the closer a player gets to their extension (where you are forced to pay them their market value), the less valuable trade asset they are.  Picks/rookies are valuable because players can easily overperform their rookie contracts.  Whatever extension reddish gets, I doubt he will be overperforming based on his contract.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, DS5 said:

Then you wait until the last year of his rookie deal and hope you get a better return. Seriously if this doesn’t lead to another star player, this makes zero sense to me.

Unfortunately, players who are RFAs generally don't garner 'better returns'.  They end up being RFA SnT trade deals with not much returns but TPE's and 2nds.  Example is Lonzo Ball to Bulls. Look at what NOP got for Ball.

Lonzo Ball is heading to the Chicago Bulls on a four-year deal worth $85 million in a sign-and-trade agreement, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The New Orleans Pelicans will send Ball to Chicago in exchange for Tomas Satoransky, Garrett Temple and a second-round pick....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

I heard about it this morning from my source and didn't believe it. I was told to keep mum because deal wasn't finalized. 

I hate this trade. I would have much rather used Cam as the sweetener on a Gallo/Bogi type deal to get a big name. But this return is so low. We now have to hope the Hornets have the 19th or worst pick in the first round just to get a first rounder back. Knox is a complete bust and won't get any run here barring injuries. 

For those throwing Travis under the bus I know this. Travis wouldn't have done this trade if he honestly believed he could get a better deal in a couple of weeks. As @NBASupes and @thecampster have said, I think I mentioned this but I'll say it again: this is a seller's market. There are so few teams willing to make a big trade that has dried up the market in a lot of ways. 

If you told me before the season this is what we would get for Cam I would have laughed in your face. Cam has a real chance to at least be an above average NBA starter. What are we getting with the AT BEST 19th pick in the draft? Another rookie that Nate refuses to play?

Amen

People are not understanding. I 100% concede this is obviously the most attractive Cam trade ATM. No one is suggesting Travis is taking a worse trade than is currently available. But if this is the best trade atm, why make it? What is the urgency????

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

If  you are making the argument of why Cam for Knox, an argument can be made that he's a more efficient player and makes less mistakes (not a better player or prospect).

Come on man, this is a stretch. Whether you think Cam will reach his potential or not, you can’t argue that one has actual potential while the other will likely be out of the league in a couple of years. 

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I heard about it this morning from my source and didn't believe it. I was told to keep mum because deal wasn't finalized. 

I hate this trade. I would have much rather used Cam as the sweetener on a Gallo/Bogi type deal to get a big name. But this return is so low. We now have to hope the Hornets have the 19th or worst pick in the first round just to get a first rounder back. Knox is a complete bust and won't get any run here barring injuries. 

For those throwing Travis under the bus I know this. Travis wouldn't have done this trade if he honestly believed he could get a better deal in a couple of weeks. As @NBASupes and @thecampster have said, I think I mentioned this but I'll say it again: this is a seller's market. There are so few teams willing to make a big trade that has dried up the market in a lot of ways. 

If you told me before the season this is what we would get for Cam I would have laughed in your face. Cam has a real chance to at least be an above average NBA starter. What are we getting with the AT BEST 19th pick in the draft? Another rookie that Nate refuses to play?

So you don't think any other trades are coming? After the season potentially when we have the number 1 pick?