• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Right. That’s exactly it. Or they could look to find a better star fit next to Tatum. I mean - they’ve played together 5 years. Have yet to make a finals. And brown is in a contract year next year. To act like they won’t consider what’s out there is pretty short sighted. 

Maybe I should have emphasized for the reactionary types. I don’t think we have the pieces to get a brown. But the ripple effects of a potential trade like that is something to pay attention to as to who becomes available. We are debating potential trades before it’s June. No draft. No free agency. No champion. So to think certain people will become available and others will get taken off the market in May is pretty laughable. 

but you do you. Perhaps we shouldnot do anything and let Hunter take that next step to a 20ppg scorer. He’s def proven capable even back to his college days when he averaged 9 and 15 a game. 

Lots of noise on this site for some reason lately.

• Premium Member

To be fair, one has to watch a lowlights clip beside a highlights clip to fully appreciate any given player. Think it's fair to say Dr. JR's lowlights clip in fans' brains is what is driving a lot of conclusions.

Broken record alert... for me, it's all about the role. If you tell me Randle's the new backup PF, I'm all-in. If you tell me Randle's the new starting PF, I'm having some dry heaves b/c I'm so persuaded that it's asinine to remove JC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

To be fair, one has to watch a lowlights clip beside a highlights clip to fully appreciate any given player. Think it's fair to say Dr. JR's lowlights clip in fans' brains is what is driving a lot of conclusions.

Broken record alert... for me, it's all about the role. If you tell me Randle's the new backup PF, I'm all-in. If you tell me Randle's the new starting PF, I'm having some dry heaves b/c I'm so persuaded that it's asinine to remove JC.

It's obvious even in those clips that Randle has a lot of skill for a big man.  Handles are good, variety to his moves. Great rebounder.  The raw tools are there. He just has to be given the right role on a team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Think about what you're saying.

A team is so desperate to offload their "best player" they're willing to take back a guy (Gallo) they probably plan on waiving before the season.

The max deal they literally just signed him to hasn't even started yet.

Red flags, people.  Good idea to not ignore them.

Julius is making less than jc even though he’s the much more talented player.

Julius max isn’t a bad contract like Tobias harris is.

Julius won’t make 30mil until the final year of his contract.

Look if you don’t like his style of play just say that.

But Don’t try and act like the dude is a scrub.

He’s better than ever player on our roster besides Trae Young.

And that’s just fact!

8 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

And that’s just fact!

You base this off nothing. Randle is a really bad contract and not an impactful and absolutely would not be close to the 2nd best player. You think if he was this good, Knicks fans wouldn’t be begging to get rid of him. Ppl need to stop looking at counting stats if they think he’s this big time player. 

Edited by GThawks3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sturt said:

I'm sorry, I have to utilize my option to walk away from the negotiation.

Whooaaa whoa whoaaa wait a sec, we’re negotiating, negotiating, stay at the table I’m making some tea ☕️, you prefer peppermint or Earl Grey? 

The baseball stuff sounds accurate. You were generous with the 1%, I didn’t know my strike zone very well.

Can I get you a date? (The fruit) 

Ok, you don’t like 0.1 and I don’t like 10. What number are you thinkin, that is reasonable? Here lemme top your tea ☕️ off.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, sturt said:

But you really want to pay him that much to come off the bench? His numbers are going to go down a lot in that role and is that really worth 25m a year? He’s played 36/37 mpg last 2 years. JC does not need in even a more expensive backup taking his minutes. 

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Mic drop.

HEEEEYYYYYY!!!! GET BACK HERE!!!! DON’T YOU MIC DRO…. Oh, the Randle thing, can you kick it on the decline of the drop or is that gonna hurt your foot. 

I don’t want anyone else having the mic 🎤..

Hurl it into the river…

Actually hol’ up I’m in negotiations and someone might want that mic 🎤:indifferent:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

And that’s just fact!

Then why is he available for free? 

I'm not arguing against anything you said, I'm simply asking why, if all that is true, are the NYK just giving him to the Hawks for a guy on a partially guaranteed contract???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Randle has drama written all over him. I like bad boys but the ones that D up more than shoot you out of a game.

Randle would negatively impact our team in the grand scheme of things. 

It’s a high risk medium/small return.

Sometimes other teams try to give you a good deal because they know the player will possibly screw up that team.

Specially if an eastern conference team is trading that player within conference. This rarely happens unless the original team is selling a lemon 🍋.

Randle = 🍋 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm not arguing against anything you said, I'm simply asking why, if all that is true, are the NYK just giving him to the Hawks for a guy on a partially guaranteed contract???

The Knicks are in a different place rn.

They want to build around Rj Barrett.

They realize Randle can’t be the #1 guy and they don’t have the assets rn to acquire anyone better than him.

If we acquired Julius he’d be the 2nd option and depending on whatever other moves we do(Lavine,Ayton etc)he’d possibly be the 3rd option.

Julius would Thrive here being the 2nd or 3rd option.

I just don’t understand how you guys don’t/can’t see this!

14 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I could see them trying to move him for nothing so they can move from a UK based team to a Duke based team, and opening a spot for Zion down the line. 

Not that I’m in favor of acquiring Randle, just wanted to point out a scenario to answer your question. 

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I don't doubt that travis followed a warrior's blueprint.

I mean.

Trae  skillset is similar to Steph's  i.e. scorer/facilitator.

Huerter = Poor man's Klay

Hunter = Poor man's Igudala

Cam = Poor man's Barnes 

But that's about it. 

Draymond cannot be duplicated and we hit the lottery with JC.   Nobody really expected JC to be a top 7 PF.   So Travis switched up...

Brought in Clint because of how Clint worked with Harden. 

Brought in Bogi because we needed a second scorer. 

Brought in Gallo because we needed a sharpshooter. 

Brought in OO because we needed a BU C (secondary) and where we were drafting, he was the BPA.

From this collection, 

Trae really has played beyond anybody's expectation.   He makes the need for us to get better in a hurry real.  JC has played beyond all expectations (he has made trading him hard).    We had to give away Cam for the sake of the lockerroom.. and Bogi may have to go for the same reason.   We have to find that second scorer. 

If Spyda Mitchell is a possibility, we can't look past him. 

I believe that Lavine talk is simply Klutch Sports doing it's work. 

I believe Ayton is available but he's fool's gold. 

I believe that Gobert is available because it's not working in Utah.. and it won't work here with him either.   Think about it, he's this great defensive force but his team always makes the early exit?  Why?  Is it that he and Mitchell make so much that it's hard for Utah to improve?  What happens here?

For the Ayton fans...

Earth Planet Sticker by yuhankimberly for iOS & Android | GIPHY

Ayton couldn't prosper more playing with one of the best Pgs in History and one of the best SGs in the game.   What happens here?

Simmons may be available.  The KD threat on the Kyrie Max out is interesting.   I don't think Brooklyn wants to eat all that LT and get Swept in the first round.  But they don't want to lose KD.. But they have to hate Kyrie.  Interesting.

Pretty spot on.  Travis recreated Golden State but with lesser players.  Soo, he has to either get better players to fit the Golden State clone he created or change the team philosophy.  I believe the solution is a combination of Simmons/Levine, Irving  surrounded by Trae and Hunter.  Everybody else is trade bait.  Hunter and Trae are the only Hawks I would keep to make this happen.  Would hate to see OO leave in a trade, but the solution is Simmons and another big time scorer.  I don't know enough about Spyda Mitchell.  It appears me and you are in agreement about everything.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

The Knicks are in a different place rn.

They want to build around Rj Barrett.

They realize Randle can’t be the #1 guy and they don’t have the assets rn to acquire anyone better than him.

If we acquired Julius he’d be the 2nd option and depending on whatever other moves we do(Lavine,Ayton etc)he’d possibly be the 3rd option.

Julius would Thrive here being the 2nd or 3rd option.

I just don’t understand how you guys don’t/can’t see this!

So why wouldn't the Knicks not just make him the 2nd option? Randle is the type of guy that needs the ball in his hands. Poor shooters with bad efficiency are not good off the ball.

Randle literally had a -9.4 ON/OFF. Knicks were significantly better when he’s on the bench which I’m pretty sure back up the eye test. That’s why Knicks fan want him gone. Randle/Lavine combo to me would be awful. Not interested in surrounding this team with expensive one way players who don’t elevate their team. 

Edited by GThawks3

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

That's a media narrative.

Media narrative? Its BEEN CLEAR what Travis has done.  Its been HAMMERED HOME that the Hawks are using Golden State as the blueprint and Travis has NEVER come out and said the media was wrong or that he is following his own path.  Ressler went after Travis as GM for the VERY REASON HE WAS COPYING GOLDEN STATE.  Trae is the Hawks version of Curry.  Thats been clear from day one.  I'm not a GM and I can see what he was doing.  In fact, I was HUGE on Huerter coming out because I thought he was Klay Thompson 2.0. 

Travis followed THE RIGHT BLUEPRINT, his players across the board are just not as good as the core that Golden State had.   Heck, they had a core of Curry, Thompson and Green and ADDED Kevin Durant.  Trae and Hunter when he is healthy,  are just as good as Curry and Green.  The problem has been Hunter's health and Huerter not being Klay Thompson.  Bogi was brought in to be Klay but he ain't Klay either and has health issues.  Travis should stay the course and just get better players while keeping Trae and Hunter.  You put Simmons and Irving/Levine, etc. on a team with Trae and Hunter and watch how good the Hawks could become.  This early article from fansided is spot on with the narrative.  Most of what was predicted in this article came to fruition.   Trae obviously didn't bust but his lack of defense was a given.

https://fansided.com/2018/06/22/hawks-follow-warriors-model/

When Travis Schlenk left Golden State for Atlanta it was obvious he’d try to emulate the Warriors. His first draft was a clear effort to do just that.

The Golden State Warriors are currently the gold standard in the NBA. It only makes sense that other teams would want to copy their blueprint for success. Travis Schlenk is absolutely doing that early in his tenure in charge of the Atlanta Hawks.

No matter what you think of Schlenk’s controversial deal to let Luka Doncic head to Dallas, it’s clear what he was thinking. He believes Trae Young has a chance to be his franchise’s version of Steph Curry. There are certainly similarities in their offensive games. Each has the ability to really shoot the ball from long-range. Unfortunately, Young isn’t in Curry’s class. He’s an excellent shooter, but Curry is one of the best in NBA history. Expecting Young to give that kind of value is foolish at best.

The Hawks didn’t stop there. Their second first round pick was spent to acquire Maryland sharpshooter Kevin Huerter. He isn’t an electric athlete, but he can really make shots. Many NBA scouts compare him to, you guessed it, Klay Thompson.

Again, the problem here is that Huerter isn’t nearly the prospect Thompson was. Coming out of Washington State there were zero questions about Klay’s ability to make jump shots at a high level. He profiled as an elite shooter. Huerter profiles as a very good shooter. That’s an important distinction.

Attempting to copy Golden State is a wonderful idea in theory, but executing it in practice is almost impossible. It requires having the ability to acquire multiple All-Stars. Even more challenging is that it requires you to have transcendent talents like Curry and Kevin Durant on your roster.

With all due respect to Young and Huerter, neither of them project to turn out to be that sort of player. Young, in particular, has significant bust potential. There’s no clear indication he can guard at the next level. His lack of height, bulk and athleticism will be exploited on that end of the floor.

Huerter can likely become a quality rotation piece, but not even the most optimistic projections for him predict multiple All-Star berths. If Schlenk drafted Young and Huerter with hopes that they’d become his version of Curry and Thompson, he’s probably going to be disappointed.

The only good news for Hawks fans is that this is just the beginning of their rebuild. Schlenk and the front office can afford some swings and misses along the way. If they want to become the Eastern Conference’s version of Golden State, they’ll still need to be searching for stars in next year’s draft

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

And that’s just fact!

Randle's getting paid more than JC for every year remaining on their contracts... Randle is a head case and a limited player.  He has good volume stats because he has high usage.  He just shot 41/30/75 splits last year... you're acting like this guy isn't on one of the worst value contracts in the NBA.  There's a reason he's in talks for Gallo whose knees barely work.

I cannot emphasize enough how awful of a move this would be -- high usage, low efficiency, whiny player that is under contract through 2026...... it would kill any chance we have to build a contender.  That contract is BAD.  I will try to sue the Hawks for my season ticket money next year if Randle in on the roster.  Any reasonable jury in Atlanta would look at that move and say "Yes, your honor, we find the defendant Travis Schlenk guilty of ruining the Hawks franchise and award the plaintiff @JeffS17 his season ticket money and $100,000 of emotional damage" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3