• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

After Watching Last night, Nobody should want Gobert on the Hawks.

Diesel

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, I'm hoping we can move him as a part of a larger deal and the receiving team can decide to waive him or not.  If Gallo is suiting up for us in October, something did not go as planned this offseason

One thought did cross my mind - if we release him and pay his 5, can we then turn around and resign him at a much lower contract. Not sure what the CBA allows @thecampster

(And I'm not saying we should fo this)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

One thought did cross my mind - if we release him and pay his 5, can we then turn around and resign him at a much lower contract. Not sure what the CBA allows @thecampster

I tried to look this up a few weeks ago and failed lol

• Haha 1

I rarely agree with Diesel takes but give me Capela making $20m per year over the next few seasons than dealing with this from someone making double. Btw this was all from one game. Atleast Ayton has the skillset to be a 2nd or 3rd option on offense. Gobert has no hope of even being an option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You're technically waiving him before the moratorium, meaning the buyout is on the next season.  Now waiving him if you intend to resign him is screwing him out of $16 million dollars.  IE, resigning him would be a pretty big slap in the face. I'm not really sure I've ever heard of this in the NBA with a partially guaranteed contract, but here is the rule with waiving and how "I think" it applies.

"A player that is bought out cannot resign or be claimed by the team that bought him out until 1 year or after the end of the bought out contract, whichever comes first."

In the NBA, released or waived means the same thing. Buyout refers to waived at a lower contract rate to allow the player to sign elsewhere, usually for the difference of the original contract. I think the confusion here is thinking its a buyout. It is not. It is a waiver so we move on to waiver rules.

When you waive a player, a team that claims him off waivers pays the remainder of the contract not picked up by the team. If the player clears waivers, he can resign with any team except for the one rule for this (below).

"Since the 2011 CBA, a player acquired in a trade and waived by his new team cannot re-sign with his original team until one year after the trade or July 1 after the expiration of his contract, whichever is sooner.[5]"

Gallo was acquired Nov 24, 2020. This provision expired on Nov 24, 2021.  However, if you were Gallo and the Hawks screwed you out of $16 million by waiving you with the intent of resigning you for the vet minimum later, wouldn't you be pissed and not resign.  I really can't see that happening. Great thought experiment....not gonna happen!  Its the Selena Gomez asking me if I wanna universe all over again.

Edited by thecampster
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I read in an ESPN+ article the suggestion of something similar to this for the Hawks, but signing him to a 2 years/ $13mil per contract, so he still gets paid, but stretched and lowered annual cap.

I love Gallo, but I have a feeling now is the time to move on from him. He's going to disappoint a lot of people in the next season or two if they expect him to still be the player he has been for the past couple of years.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Diesel said:

Hey Camp, 

Can we trade him to a team that we know will waive him and then pick him back up at a lower rate?

Like the Knicks used to do Herb Williams. 

No. NBA closed that loop hole. Hawks can't resign him for 1 year.

19 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Cherry picked.  Capela isn't giving you a different result here anyways.  Also, he was fouled on the play.  Why don't you look at the game changing play late in the 4th where he guards Luka on the perimeter and then stays with him and forces a really bad shot?

https://streamable.com/k6v64h

Not to mention Conley doesn't catch him for the easiest lob ever with Finney-Smith on him in transition.  Trae makes that pass and it's ball game.  I think you guys would be shocked how bad Capela will look without a Harden/Trae level facilitator and how much better Gobert would look playing with Trae.

Hard for Trae to make someone look good when they have bricks for hands and terrible spatial awareness. It's like people forgot how painful it was watching Bruno trying to catch or handle the ball near the basket. And Bruno was wearing Stick-um compared to Goberrated.

Just say Nobert.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This is the fair assertion that none of the pro-Gobert folks will answer. *cough* @NBASupes *cough*  They just keep telling us he's the GOAT defender (as long as he's surrounded by a good defense, which we don't have, but they don't address that either).

Yes, he's better than Capela (in some ways) but is he $20millo per year better?

And those clips are sooooo cringe and this is coming from someone who said he has an offensive game.  I maybe wer wrong. 😬

I didn't realize how turnover prone he is. 119 TOs this season, compared to CC with 44.  That's stone hands territory.

• Like 4

Gallo and Bogi are really not worth this and Im sure theyll find that out on thier next contract, especially since everyone knows now bogi is fked with his knees.  NO way just switching out Gobert with Clint is going to change much of the end result for this team.

JC kept saying we need to stick together in the exit interview. That kind of pissed me off I needed more from him than that. It’s like HOL UP NOW JC, I don’t wanna stick together and still have you show up with the same skill set next year and not improve your game.

JC is on my hot seat. He needed to do more. Injuries are injuries but we needed more from 100 million dollars. I’m sorry but that’s real.

Im ready for Sabonis, possible Gobert, something slightly altered. 

Has JC added much to his game since he came in the league? As far as skill sets.

Ok he’s bouncy and athletic but that’s not enough, I want a lot more.

RANT OVER.. for now.

Dude is from Florida and he put up some stinky games there against them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Has JC added much to his game since he came in the league? As far as skill sets.

Well, he was a low post scorer in college.  Now he's a true stretch shooting (I think) over 40% from 3.

Agree I felt wanting for more from him though.  I can't see SAC giving up on Sabonis.  Remember he's their centerpiece now due to the Haliburton trade.

Speaking of Haliburton, isn't it weird to see the Pacers targeting all these point guards considering he's supposed to be the 'next' good one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ayton is the guy over Gobert. 

This is bigger than just covering for Trae defensively. Ayton is a two way player that will open up our offense against defenses like the Heat. We have not had a two way big man in a very long time. Let alone one with star talent. 

No more limited bodies. Clint is easy to defend when all you have to do is foul and send him to the line. Ayton at least keeps the defense honest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Ok..  Thought about it.   How does this look....

JC/OO/future first to Phoenix for Ayton.

CC/Kev to BKLN  For Simmons. 

Bogi/2nd for Burke/Noel. 

Our starting 5 would be:

Ayton/Simmons/Hunter/Burke/Trae...

That's your bigger team.   That's your more defensive team.

Gobert’s price tag is what makes him available.  I think Trae would help him be a more effective role partner.  

Now you use the draft picks you would have spent on Ayton to bring in a legit guy like SGA or Simmons to be your second playmaker/scorer.  Or spend it on a guy like Siakim.  

Gobert improves the defense and allows you to preserve trade/draft capital.  The cost is an overpay.  It’s more like when the Clippers gave up too much for PG13 because it ensured Kawhi would sign.