• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2022 Hawks Summer League

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Can you imagine if he had played with the 'foot discomfort' and looked as trashy as Cooper with his injured thumb.

Cooper's struggles were more than just physical limitations related to an injured thumb. Lot of it was his decision making.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

C. Brown is a good player.  I haven't talked about him enough

6 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I agree. I feel bad because I only want to root for the drafted guys, but he has played well at every opportunity for us.

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Coop is out with his right thumb 

I've talked about him in each game reviews. 

It would seem that Martin beat out Brown for the SG spot on the NBA team. Otherwise Brown would have been elevated to the big club from his 2way with Martin getting a 2way.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It would seem that Martin beat out Brown for the SG spot on the NBA team.

The timing is interesting to me. I would think that would be a decision left to training camp. Not sure what pushed the issue (?).

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

The timing is interesting to me. I would think that would be a decision left to training camp. Not sure what pushed the issue (?).

Maybe an overseas offer for Martin? Maybe Brown has an NBA offer or maybe a GL trade? 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Maybe an overseas offer for Martin?

I suppose that's possible.

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Maybe Brown has an NBA offer

Brown's stuck since he signed the two-way. We can call him up, but no one else can poach him from us... unless you're aware of something I'm not, and of course that never happens. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

I suppose that's possible.

Brown's stuck since he signed the two-way. We can call him up, but no one else can poach him from us... unless you're aware of something I'm not, and of course that never happens. 😉

Yes, you are correct - he can't be signed by another team. 

He can be traded though...

"....any player who signs a Two-Way Contract may not be traded until 30 days following the date on which he signed his contract."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It would seem that Martin beat out Brown for the SG spot on the NBA team. Otherwise Brown would have been elevated to the big club from his 2way with Martin getting a 2way.

Brown outplayed Martin over SL but Brown been playing around the league for years and Martin is a rookie who can be signed for the rookie min. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Brown been playing around the league for years

This didn't sound right on first reading. And on closer inspection, it's not... 21-22 was Brown's first NBA action ever.

BUT... you're right anyhow that it's (slightly) cheaper to sign Martin since Brown had an actual minimum contract with the Lakers last year before he was released, and then signed a 2-way with us.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, sturt said:

This didn't sound right on first reading. And on closer inspection, it's not... 21-22 was Brown's first NBA action ever.

BUT... you're right anyhow that it's (slightly) cheaper to sign Martin since Brown had an actual minimum contract with the Lakers last year before he was released, and then signed a 2-way with us.

I don't know why I assumed Brown was in his 3rd NBA season and not his 2nd. My fault. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Brown outplayed Martin over SL but Brown been playing around the league for years and Martin is a rookie who can be signed for the rookie min. 

I don't think that's correct.

Edit: never mind, saw your follow up response.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

And that takes me to a question I've had for a while now: On the teams' side, what does Summer League mean to them?

I come back to the Griffin situation with the Hawks. Griffin experienced some discomfort, so they held him out of play altogether. When asked about Griffin's status during Summer League, Atlanta coach Nick Van Exel (what a hooper in his day) made sure to express he wasn't concerned about Griffin's health long-term.

"It's just day-to-day with him," Van Exel told a group of reporters. "It's Summer League, so we'd like to have him out there with us, but it is Summer League. It's just Summer League. We got a long, 82-game season, and that's what's more important."

On a serious note, there seems to be a line for teams. Summer League reps are valuable, but not that valuable.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Summer league is more about entertainment during the dead summer months than about actual player development or assessment.  As with any reps, they are a "nice to get." Van Exel's comments are not remotely surprising to me.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, AHF said:

Summer league is more about entertainment during the dead summer months than about actual player development or assessment.

I wonder why Tyrese Martin got that contract so quickly after a good summer league performance and Cooper is yet to ring after a string of bad performances?

🤔

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I wonder why Tyrese Martin got that contract so quickly after a good summer league performance and Cooper is yet to ring after bad performances?

🤔

Cooper performed better last year than Martin did this year in the summer league.  Just maybe do you think that the front office believed Martin was more ready after 4 years of college than Cooper was after 1 and planned to treat them differently in their contract offers accordingly?

If you really think summer league means something go look up all the summer league MVPs like Dion Glover who wash out of the league.

Summer league is for funsies.  GMs make their important decisions based on other things like 114 games of NCAA basketball over 4 years rather than 5 exhibition games against mostly g-league talent.

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, AHF said:

Cooper performed better last year than Martin did this year in the summer league.  Just maybe do you think that the front office believed Martin was more ready after 4 years of college than Cooper was after 1 and planned to treat them differently in their contract offers accordingly?

Cooper had more pro experience

If you really think summer league means something go look up all the summer league MVPs like Dion Glover who wash out of the league.

Glover was playing in his 3rd summer league

Summer league is for funsies.  GMs make their important decisions based on other things like 114 games of NCAA basketball over 4 years rather than 5 exhibition games against mostly g-league talent.

Cooper had a better college career than Martin and was ranked higher in the predraft process

• Like 1

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Cooper had more pro experience

Cooper had no pro experience last summer and had his contract offer for this year before this year's summer league.  No idea what you are saying here.

Glover was playing in his 3rd summer league

You realize that Glover was the same age as Martin, right?

Tell me how good these summer league MVPs were in the NBA:

Cam Thomas MVP

Davion Mitchell MVP

Louis King MVP

Tyus Jones MVP

Glen Rice Jr. MVP

Josh Selby MVP

Jerryd Bayless MVP

etc. etc.

Summer league is an extremely small sample size against thrown together teams lacking in structure or organization and riddled with g-league talent.  Do you think there is any possible way that Cam Thomas was ranked as high as Scottie Barnes after last season?  No.  Of course not.  But he was better in summer league.  But that means jack to GMs.

Cooper had a better college career than Martin and was ranked higher in the predraft process

Cooper put up 1.7 Win Shares in his only season in college while leading Auburn to a 13-14 losing record in the SEC.

Martin put up more win shares than that every single season culminating in a 3.9 Win Share number last year.  Martin had winning records every year in college including leading Connecticut to a 23-10 winning record last year.

Not sure how you are measuring "better college career" but I'm not seeing it.

Cooper was generally rated higher in media projections but fell to the same part of the draft as Martin.  Why?  Probably was something other than summer league play.  In terms of summer league play, he had a great run last season.  He actually scored more efficiently than Martin in summer league and was #3 in the league in assists in his first summer league run.  Did that run mean **** to Atlanta?  No.  They refused to give him even a two-way contract. Do you think that might have been more for the same reasons he fell in the draft or do you think that was more driven by him not winning MVP in the summer league or something?  

This year they offered him a two-way contract without waiting to see how he performed in the summer league.  Don't you think they would have waited if they cared a lot about how he performed in those 5 exhibition games?  They didn't.  Because they didn't really care.

Summer league is a fun exhibition that offers a bare minimum of time for teams to work with their players.  Nothing more or less.

• Like 2