• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome A.J. Griffin

marco102

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

When he learns how to defend, he's going to be something else.  There's a reason a lot of people mention Jalen Johnson and AJ Griffin as future $25 million plus players.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

When he learns how to defend, he's going to be something else.  There's a reason a lot of people mention Jalen Johnson and AJ Griffin as future $25 million plus players.  

Wait — I thought they were throw-ins for the privilege of paying KAT ~$200 million.

• Haha 4

I am very high on AJ's upside.  Given that, I am conflicted on the Bogi extension.  Yes, he can be a weapon but I would have thought, given the Hawks depth chart and contracts/financials, he would have been the guy to go.  And that goes back to the decision to trade Huerter after acquiring Murray, because I though Huerter's contract lined up with AJ moving to a second contract.  So in short term having Bogi is better than Kevin but in long term roster construction I though Huerter made more sense to keep of the two, unless someone was thinking the Hawks were in line for a championship run in 2022-23.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Packfill said:

I am very high on AJ's upside.  Given that, I am conflicted on the Bogi extension.  Yes, he can be a weapon but I would have thought, given the Hawks depth chart and contracts/financials, he would have been the guy to go.  And that goes back to the decision to trade Huerter after acquiring Murray, because I though Huerter's contract lined up with AJ moving to a second contract.  So in short term having Bogi is better than Kevin but in long term roster construction I though Huerter made more sense to keep of the two, unless someone was thinking the Hawks were in line for a championship run in 2022-23.  

Bogi has a very team friendly contract 3+1 T.O. year, making him easily tradeable as long as he can stay healthy. 

As AJ progresses as we hope he will, by the time he becomes extension eligible, Bogi will have 1+1 T.O. left.y

AJ can also play as a SF, so he has some versatility in his game.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm counting on AJ Griffin to have a solid part of the success of the Atlanta Hawks this upcoming season.  I know that he's been mentioned as a "throw in" in a big, blolckbuster deal to make it work.  I sincerely hope not.  To me, he's one of three untouchable Hawks/ JJ & Trae being the other two.

🥰

• Like 2

Bad defense and all, in the regular season a lineup with Trae - Bogi - Aj was  a +7.2 net rating according to NBA.com. Good for 7th out of all 3 man Hawks lineup combos that played > 25 games together. Without any development … that is still an effective pairing. Throw in better coaching and AJ not being a 19 year old rookie??? Cmon man!!  

not going down this rabbit hole again - I’ll see myself out. 

Bonus before I go. Using the same database. Young - Johnson - okongwu has the 2nd best 3 man rating (25+ games played together) at 12.9. I am very excited and high on the development of our youth - particularly under Snyder. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AHF said:

You think he won't be competent defending SFs when he is 25?

No. I hope he is but I don't see any thing laterally to get my hopes up. He could get away with being a 3 with Gobert where you just angle defend but with most, he's gonna have to move his feet and that's not a strong suit of his 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No. I hope he is but I don't see any thing laterally to get my hopes up. He could get away with being a 3 with Gobert where you just angle defend but with most, he's gonna have to move his feet and that's not a strong suit of his 

Fair enough.  I guess time will tell.  I'm not putting a cap on any 19 year old when I've seen guys like Kyle Korver become pretty effective defenders despite having almost no natural gifts.

• Like 3