• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome A.J. Griffin

marco102

On 1/28/2023 at 11:50 AM, marco102 said:
I hope our Samson doesn't lose his powers after cutting his hair!

That's what happened to Jollins.  But I've said too much .....

24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We just need more minutes and shot attempts for AJ.

[Will Smith voice]

"Keep ... my rookies name ... out ... the ro.... tation!" - iRobot

• Haha 3

I know small sample size and small  attempts, but if he can become a 50 40 90 with higher volume guy the Hawks got the steal of the draft.

Also like that his handle is tight already and should improve and he has flashed playmaking ability.

The defense will come along too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I say it again....I will die on the AJ Griffin hill... LOL.  Even if ultimately he's peaks at just a decent 3&D, I'd rather stay with him and take the chance that he might be special.

For me, AJ is on the untouchable list unless we gettin a legit top 5 player in return.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another notch in maturity coming this upcoming season.  He hit the provodential rookie wall last season.  He now knows about the length of the season and can see that some NBA players are still playing.

He's not there yet and will not reach full maturity this upcoming season.  He will improve.  Some of the silly freshman errors will still pop up from time to time.  He has learned about easy fouls and how to avoid some of them.

Another year older and a little tougher than what we saw last season.  This part still growing.

He's already good.  Will become very good.  Will he become great?  We can't know but we certainly hope so.

😇

• Like 3

AJ is another key piece for our roster building puzzle.

We have 2 substantial contracts in Bogi and Dre, and then Bey looking for a new deal.

Having AJ around on his rookie deal is vital for our cap situation.

AJ’s development will potentially make at least one of those other wings expendable. The FO needs him to reach his potential.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sincerely believe that AJ Griffin has all the God given skills to be one of the best Hawk players next season.  He, along with Trae and Jalen Johnson are my three untouchable Atlanta Hawks.

This means, unless there is a "Blow your doors off" deal, they will be on our roster for the entire time they play in the NBA.  All three have the skill set that is necessary to win.  This makes them all keepers!

:smug:

Of course this is just me.  They may all three be gone when the next season begins....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Players Who Can Thrive In Bigger Roles Next Season

AJ Griffin, Atlanta Hawks

The Atlanta Hawks at times flirted with bestowing a larger role upon AJ Griffin during his rookie season. They inevitably didn't have the stomach for it. Griffin didn't see the floor for a single minute during Atlanta's first-round series against the Boston Celtics.

This must change next season.

Defensive shortcomings limit Griffin's bandwidth in lineups with other perimeter liabilities. But he's too scintillating from deep to repress his minutes, which ended up at 19.5 per game. He drilled 39 percent of his triples, including 46.7 percent of his off-the-dribble treys (28-of-60) and 38.6 percent of his step-back attempts (38.5 percent).

Yet, while his outside marksmanship will take center stage, it's Griffin's floor game that renders him must-play. He displayed a real knack for attacking overaggressive (or inattentive) defenses inside the arc, peppering a handful of turnarounds, fadeways, catch-and-drive layups and runners into his arsenal. He dropped in 55.6 percent of his floaters (55-of-90).

Finding more time for Griffin will be hard if the Hawks perimeter rotation goes untouched. Dejounte Murray and Trae Young burn through roughly 35 minutes per game apiece, and Atlanta still has Bogdan Bogdanovic, De'Andre Hunter and Saddiq Bey.

That's not an excuse. Griffin's multi-level shot-making is too tantalizing to deploy in small-medium doses. If the Hawks can't make adequate room for him at the 2 and 3 spots, he deserves to be on a team that can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1