• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Battle for the Back-up PF role?

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

The only issue I have with this is 6 mins is not enough to establish a rhythm. And if he is relegated to standing in the dunkers spot or in the corner, he won’t get a chance to does what he does best. A team has to let young players learn on the job and give them rope to mess up and correct.  The earlier in the season we do that, the better off we will be down the road.  Basketball is not that hard when you already have the skills. Every time he has ever played more than 25 mins on any level up to this point, he has been the beast player on the court. 

I say we start at 6... if you give a player 6 solid minutes... not spread over 4 qtrs but something like 6 minutes in the 2nd quarter, you can see from that if the player deserves more minutes. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I really think that Okungwu will soak up a lot of those back up 4 minutes

Didn't someone have a thread discussing minutes distribution? I wonder how many mins John, Hunter, OO17 and JJ will get at PF considering that John may get some minutes at center?  JJ can also play 3 front court spots where as OO17 only two. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Didn't someone have a thread discussing minutes distribution? I wonder how many mins John, Hunter, OO17 and JJ will get at PF considering that John may get some minutes at center?  JJ can also play 3 front court spots where as OO17 only two. 

John will probably see zero minutes at center this year with Frank on the team

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I say we start at 6... if you give a player 6 solid minutes... not spread over 4 qtrs but something like 6 minutes in the 2nd quarter, you can see from that if the player deserves more minutes. 

I feel you. You are more conservative in that aspect, I am leaning forward on it. Mainly because if he reaches his potential, we are a better team overall. 

17 hours ago, Diesel said:

At that point, I don't think his problem was managing.  I think his problem was players wanting more minutes.   You can have 10 good players.. and each of those 10 players want to play 35 minutes a game... except for maybe Lou.   So it's not mismanagement, it is the pressure of trying to keep your players happy. 

You're going to tell Hunter in his contract year, go sit down so for 20 minutes so that we can play  Wright?

Yep.  "I don't know how to do that."  

:smug:

16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How many minutes will he get?

The case for his minutes seems to be based on the perception there is no other viable backup PF.  So, projecting his minutes feels like guessing to me.  I want to see him getting 18 minutes a game by end of the season. 

There is a world where he might earn minutes at the 3 and 4, if he is too good to keep off the court.  There is another world where some combination of Kaminsky, Holliday, Harkless, and Hunter get the minutes.  

Haven't heard someone mention this possibility, but let's say Hunter gets injured, could he be the starter at the 3?  Or dare I touch this sacred cow?  Hunter disappoints and Jalen looks like baby Bron.  Hunter would be trade bait.   

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

The case for his minutes seems to be based on the perception there is no other viable backup PF.  So, projecting his minutes feels like guessing to me.  I want to see him getting 18 minutes a game by end of the season. 

There is a world where he might earn minutes at the 3 and 4, if he is too good to keep off the court.  There is another world where some combination of Kaminsky, Holliday, Harkless, and Hunter get the minutes.  

Haven't heard someone mention this possibility, but let's say Hunter gets injured, could he be the starter at the 3?  Or dare I touch this sacred cow?  Hunter disappoints and Jalen looks like baby Bron.  Hunter would be trade bait.   

I think they would go Jday if Hunter got injured. If it is late in the season I can see them starting Bogi at the three. If they are forced somehow to play JJ at the 3 and he does well, then that could shake up some things. I see Jalen playing 15 mins a game as apart of the regular rotation mostly at the 4. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

I see Jalen playing 15 mins

U got 15 I got 17 Burd got 14 anyone else? Sturt stop dancing 💃 around the question and give us one concrete answer, a number is what we are looking for here. :heya:

27 minutes ago, sturt said:

I c

:huh:

@JayBirdHawk 14 

@MarylandHawk 15

@Spud2nique 17

@sturt 20

@warcore 😴 :laugh1: ah kamaaaann I kid. 

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 1