Two Preseason Games left - 10/12 and 10/14

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Justin and OO didn't play very well.  OO was getting moved out of the lane by Lopez easily.  Those two right now were projected to be our 6 and 7 guys.   AJ and JJ looked much better than they did. 

Diakite looked good and Osman sadly abused us. 

I guess i'll be the bench talk guy.  Cavs bench is way better than ours.   In fact they looked better than ours last night (preseason, jet lag i know) and they played without Mobley, Love and Levert.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I guess i'll be the bench talk guy.  Cavs bench is way better than ours.   In fact they looked better than ours last night (preseason, jet lag i know) and they played without Mobley, Love and Levert.

"Justin and OO didn't play very well.  OO was getting moved out of the lane by Lopez easily.  Those two right now were projected to be our 6 and 7 guys.   AJ and JJ looked much better than they did". 

Agreed...

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Justin and OO didn't play very well.  OO was getting moved out of the lane by Lopez easily.  Those two right now were projected to be our 6 and 7 guys.   AJ and JJ looked much better than they did. 

So it was the bench that struggled and not Trae and Murray?

What does Trae like to do?

Openyoureyes Trae Young GIF - Openyoureyes Trae Young Tech - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Premium Member

AJ Griffin & Jalen Johnson

The most exciting aspect of last night's game was watching rookie AJ Griffin, and second-year player Jalen Johnson play extended minutes. Griffin was the first off the bench due to injuries (more on that below) and tallied 11 points and seven rebounds.

In Johnson's first preseason game, he grabbed 11 rebounds in 22 minutes. The 20-year-old couldn't get his shot going, but he forced his way to the line multiple times and hit all five free throw attempts.

Overall, I was quite impressed by Griffin and Johnson. They both hit the glass hard and looked like they belonged out there. Of course, their defense will be an area where they must improve, but that is true for all young players. It will be interesting to see their roles once the team is fully healthy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, theheroatl said:

That game didn't seem like a regular rotation. I would rather not be pre-season champions anyway.. 

Let's see how things go today. Wonder if we see a really really modified rotation tonight. 

Tonight will be interesting.  Do you play your starters and regulars limited minutes?  Or do you value every on court minute that these guys can get playing together to build chemistry?  

I don't really see the benefit of playing the end of bench guys a lot tonight.  They aren't going to figure into the regular season so you are just wasting an opportunity if you play them a lot today.  I think I'd play the normal rotation for the first 3 quarters and then go to the end of bench for the 4th.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Tonight will be interesting.  Do you play your starters and regulars limited minutes?  Or do you value every on court minute that these guys can get playing together to build chemistry?  

I don't really see the benefit of playing the end of bench guys a lot tonight.  They aren't going to figure into the regular season so you are just wasting an opportunity if you play them a lot today.  I think I'd play the normal rotation for the first 3 quarters and then go to the end of bench for the 4th.  

Yeah rest from the trip makes me want to sit the guys ..... but I wanna see them build chemistry.  Coaching is hard.

I'd meet you halfway and play 'normal' until halftime.  Bench guys in the 2nd half, but featuring the youngs.  IOW, I'll have none of that iso-JHoliday nonsense.  Deal?

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I think we know our regular rotation and we will see them during the season.   I think that there are still pressing decisions to make on the end of the bench... e.g.   AJ21.. does he stay with the team or go to the G-League.   Does JJ solidify his spot as BU PF.  It will be good to see him against Zion.   Do we need to go out and get another big.   OO wasn't impressive against Lopez. 

I think we're in fine tuning mode right now.   We will have plenty of time to play the starters and they know that too. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think we know our regular rotation and we will see them during the season.   I think that there are still pressing decisions to make on the end of the bench... e.g.   AJ21.. does he stay with the team or go to the G-League.   Does JJ solidify his spot as BU PF.  It will be good to see him against Zion.   Do we need to go out and get another big.   OO wasn't impressive against Lopez. 

I think we're in fine tuning mode right now.   We will have plenty of time to play the starters and they know that too. 

Zion is out, already hurt.

I would bench our starters and just play the young guys tonight.     I'd prefer to see Trae, DJM, Hunter, Capela and JC all in street clothes tonight.   Pre season is stupid, they should just get rid of it altogether.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, shakes said:

Zion is out, already hurt.

I would bench our starters and just play the young guys tonight.     I'd prefer to see Trae, DJM, Hunter, Capela and JC all in street clothes tonight.   Pre season is stupid, they should just get rid of it altogether.

While I agree with you about our starters playing less minutes... preseason is necessary to get players in playing shape.   It probably cut down on injuries. 

• Like 2

Interesting tid bit here.  

I didn't realize the Hawks were shooting the three so well. They are taking 27 attempts per game which is solid and hitting about 11. I'd take that with the spacing concerns we had going into the season. 

The overall attempts are down because some teams have played 4 or more games while the Hawks have only played 4. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I didn't realize the Hawks were shooting the three so well. They are taking 27 attempts per game which is solid and hitting about 11. I'd take that with the spacing concerns we had going into the season. 

The overall attempts are down because some teams have played 4 or more games while the Hawks have only played 4. 

It's interesting that we are the best... but... we shoot the least. 

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Wait...the team can shoot without Gallo and Huerter?? How is that possible?

• Haha 3