• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The 3-point Conundrum

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

It made me so jealous watching the Jazz game and seeing then penetrate and kick and pass around the horn as we rotate until a guy has a wide open 3.  I don't know why we can't do that.  I think we have decent looks where guys won't close out in time but we are shy pulling the trigger -- constantly put the ball on the floor and beat the closeout for a pull up mid ranger.  I know I complain about the same thing in every thread, but that shot should be a last resort, when the defense takes everything else away, not by design of the offense.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I guessed you missed my smirk 😏....speaking in reference to our 3pt struggles ONLY.

Right. Saw that. But the smirk on its own only "speaks in reference to our 3 pt struggles." It doesn't tell us how serious you are about the idea.

I thought about smirking myself.

But I just went with not telling anyone how serious I was about rejecting the idea.

😉

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, sturt said:

Right. Saw that. But the smirk on its own only "speaks in reference to our 3 pt struggles." It doesn't tell us how serious you are about the idea.

I thought about smirking myself.

But I just went with not telling anyone how serious I was about rejecting the idea.

😉

3-point conundrum thread...not 'Filling out the roster thread'....that's your clue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

3-point conundrum thread...not 'Filling out the roster thread'....that's your clue.

Right.

Oh, so is this the day when we've decided to not mingle topics inside of different threads?

Missed the memo, my apologies. 😉

• Premium Member

(Dunno what that's about, Jay. But whatever.)

More soberly and circling back...

Actually, as long as the vet min contract were to be non-guaranteed, Armoni Brooks would be a reasonable option if it becomes apparent that BogBog's horizon is a ways out there.

Don't get me wrong... I hate to see so many wings on this roster, and now you'd be adding a PG-sized SG whose defense is nothing to write home about insofar as I've ever understood. Maybe you ditch the Culver experiment, and sign Silva to his two-way?

Options abound.

24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Additionally, besides Trae's struggles from 3, we are not getting any 3s from the PF and C positions.

CC and OO (1 taken) - Can't 

JC (24.4%) and JJ (17.6%).

We lack a guy like Hauser that can just launch 3's 

What's Detroits deal? Are they in the Wemby sweepstakes or tryin to make the play in? They are 3-12 and paying Bojan $19 mil for 1 year? Is that right? 

I'd trade JC for him straight up. 

Trae/DJM/Hunter/Bojan/Clint

We might double our nightly 3pt makes. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An old saying: "You don't miss the water until the well goes dry."

One of our three point players is now a Celtic.  He's out with an injury but we saw him last night.

Red Velvet is now with the Sacramento Kings where he's a starter and hitting a lot of 3's.

Bogie is still unavailable.

Yep.  There are at least three reasons that we aren't hitting a lot of 3's.  

🥲

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Bojan produces. Some people seem sleep on him for whatever reason but he is a flat out baller. Prolly a top 20 shooter in the league.

28 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Red Velvet is now with the Sacramento Kings where he's a starter and hitting a lot of 3's.

You need a Kings Huerter jersey Gramps. It’ll be the first non Hawk jersey of your life! :smile:

I just see it like this and this is not directed at you @JayBirdHawk.

Last year, y'all complained constantly about the defense which was putrid.  The front office addressed that and now the defense is improving.  The offense with Trae has always been elite.  This year I think it'll eventually settle around top 10.

Everyone's complaining about 3 point attempts and percentages, but we've had games where we've put up a ton of points with terrible percentages and low attempts.  

The Hawks just have to hit their open shots, rather they are three pointers or mid rangers.  

I'm not concerned about the attempts. I'm more concerned about not hitting open attempts from anywhere which was the case last night. 

If Trae continues to shoot like this all season, they will not be going far in the playoffs.  It took Tatum about 40 games last season before he got going, I hope Trae gets it going within the next 10 games. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

What's Detroits deal? Are they in the Wemby sweepstakes or tryin to make the play in? They are 3-12 and paying Bojan $19 mil for 1 year? Is that right? 

I'd trade JC for him straight up. 

We might double our nightly 3pt makes. LOL

A Hunter/Bojan forward pairing might be the worst rebounding pair of forwards in NBA history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To me, three things are necessary to be a good rebound player;

Instinct - - Having that built in "feel" for rebounding.

Training - - Having someone who knows what they are doing, teach you.

Want to - - If you don't have this, then the other two are no good.

Naturally, you want someone who has strength enough to hold on to the ball once you have it in hand.  A great rebounder will find a starting position on almost any NBA team.  Dennis Rodman made a good living because of this skill.

🧑‍🔧