• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA's lightest of the lightweights: Your Atlanta Hawks

sturt

• Premium Member

Interesting graph for sure but the scale on height for this is tiny so I don't think it's particularly meaningful.  Most of the teams in the NBA fall within the 6'6 - 6'7 range.  The weight is probably more interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Interesting graph for sure but the scale on height for this is tiny so I don't think it's particularly meaningful.  Most of the teams in the NBA fall within the 6'6 - 6'7 range.  The weight is probably more interesting.

To your point, about the same number of teams fall in the range of 210-220 lbs on average.

This is also weighted towards minutes played and our top minutes guys are Trae and Murray, 2 cats under 200lbs each.

• Like 1

After watching GSW the past few years slip by every big team and put up points and win, I don't think this chart is relevant anymore. 

What is relevant is the soft whistle that Giannis gets.. SMH we pulled right up to win that game and they slapped us right back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaceCase said:

I could have sworn Trae was listed at 180lbs.  Even at the combine he was 178lbs, but everywhere I look now and he’s listed at 164lbs.  Raised an eyebrow for sure. 

He was coming out of college but he actually lost weight. My guess was he couldn't move quite as quickly at 183 than at 165.

3 hours ago, theheroatl said:

After watching GSW the past few years slip by every big team and put up points and win, I don't think this chart is relevant anymore. 

What is relevant is the soft whistle that Giannis gets.. SMH we pulled right up to win that game and they slapped us right back. 

GSW is unique. They generally have big wings, their PG is good sized, they have elite ball movement, player movement and elite shooting. They generally play excellent team defense. GS isn't exactly small. They have generally had a small frontcourt but Green makes up for a lot of that with his defensive ability.

Atlanta feels a lot more like an undersized team than GS ever has and it's been like that during the entire Trae era and truth is, we have always had a small frontcourt outside of the D12 era which was awful. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
11 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Thank you.  This basically just shows that the average height and weight for the majority of NBA teams is basically the same.  

I have been saying the same for years. Once we decided Trae was our choice instead of Doncic and we already got Collins we should have proceed to fill the roster accordingly.

Young is small and thin for a PG, Collins is thin for a PF and is fine but You need to have big and strong SG and C for them. Bogi is not that guy, Murray is a step on the right direction. Capela is not that guy although is not that bad fit neither.

But more important, their backups and the rest of the team need to be big so that the team is able to adjust the team for some matchups and there we have a problem

Aaron Holiday is a small PG although I am surprised with his defense. No big backup defensive stopper PG. 

Bogi is a shooter, we lack a defensive stopper at Guard, other than Murray. Martin?

Hunter is fine at SF, but we cannot have Holiday as backup SF in a team with Trae and Collins. We need to go with Griffin.

JJ is not the defensive presence and do not have the physicality we need for thr matchups Collins cannot play, as Orlando, Milwaukee, Cleveland,…. That is why I was asking the Hawks to sign Jalen Smith, a really big PF with good defense and floor spacing, he was the fit.

Okongwu is not a backup C for Capela, you need a big man and some floor spacing. I don’t know who is the answer but certainly Kaminsky is not that guy. Someone like Cousins or Whiteside would not hurt.

Holiday, López, Anteto bully us on the court every time and we don’t have any answer for them, no player on our squad can match them physically, we are the only team on that situation. Miami that has been mentioned as one team similar to us can throw Lowry, Butler and Dedmon, we can’t. They bullied us on he playoffs, we did not have any answer for Charlotte on the paint.

No answer for Mobley, Allen, it was worst with Markkanen.

No answer for Banchero, Bamba, WCJ, Isaac, Bol…

No answer for Towns, Gobert

No answer for PJ Washington, McDaniels, Richards

No answer for Jalen Smith, Jackson and Turner 

No answer for Zion and Valanciunas

No answer for Embiid.

We are the only team that cannot throw big role players to slow them, everyone on the roster is going to be physically bullied. 

Let’s put another example, financial, all the theories ask to diversify your investments, is like we are betting all our money in Tesla. You need to have answers for different situations.

On 10/31/2022 at 7:44 AM, NBASupes said:

GSW is unique. They generally have big wings, their PG is good sized, they have elite ball movement, player movement and elite shooting. They generally play excellent team defense. GS isn't exactly small. They have generally had a small frontcourt but Green makes up for a lot of that with his defensive ability.

Atlanta feels a lot more like an undersized team than GS ever has and it's been like that during the entire Trae era and truth is, we have always had a small frontcourt outside of the D12 era which was awful. 

Crazy thing is…many of us were complaining about height and weight in the Johnson era and now it’s happening again in the Trae era.

Murray was a step in the right direction to pair with Trae and while Hunter still need to prove himself he’s a big SF. I like OO size at PF but not center. I’m good with Capela at center until we run into the guys who are a lot bigger than him then he seems way less impactful.

The truth is, is that Schlenk may have one last time to get right with building around Trae and now Murray. One thing is for sure he definitely don’t need to just sit on his hands like those GMs did in the Johnson era.

really weird how the Atlanta falcons and hawks always tend to have smaller players than the rest of the league. The year the falcons went to the super bowl they had the smallest offensive line in the nfl though PFF ranked them the best that season as well. Sometimes being small has its benefits but to your point about GSW…if you’re small in the nba you have to be like that which is nearly impossible.

On 10/31/2022 at 7:15 PM, gurpilo said:

Holiday, López, Anteto bully us on the court every time and we don’t have any answer for them, no player on our squad can match them physically, we are the only team on that situation. Miami that has been mentioned as one team similar to us can throw Lowry, Butler and Dedmon, we can’t. They bullied us on he playoffs, we did not have any answer for Charlotte on the paint.

No answer for Mobley, Allen, it was worst with Markkanen.

No answer for Banchero, Bamba, WCJ, Isaac, Bol…

No answer for Towns, Gobert

No answer for PJ Washington, McDaniels, Richards

No answer for Jalen Smith, Jackson and Turner 

No answer for Zion and Valanciunas

No answer for Embiid.

We are the only team that cannot throw big role players to slow them, everyone on the roster is going to be physically bullied. 

Let’s put another example, financial, all the theories ask to diversify your investments, is like we are betting all our money in Tesla. You need to have answers for different situations.

I hate to add the Knicks with Randle and Mitchell Robinson but we need to be true to ourselves. Randle over powers Collins every time they play and Mitchell’s height and length gives Capela problems. Our backcourt will have to win a lot of our games.

hace 5 horas, JTB dijo:

I hate to add the Knicks with Randle and Mitchell Robinson but we need to be true to ourselves. Randle over powers Collins every time they play and Mitchell’s height and length gives Capela problems. Our backcourt will have to win a lot of our games.

I agree, I was doubting to incluye them as que normally win but is a problem for us.

• Moderators
On 11/1/2022 at 10:14 PM, JTB said:

On 11/2/2022 at 9:44 AM, macdaddy said:

Randle had a laughably horrible playoff series against us.  Shot under 30% and had 5 turnovers a game.  Not convinced he's really killing JC that much. 

JC has problems against some PFs in this league but i'm not convinced that Randle is one of them.