The Athletic (Sam Amick): Nick Ressler runs the team now (The Resslers = Atlanta Spirit Group 2.0?) (OPEN THE FLOOD GATES Y'ALL)

GameTime

I, too, doubt that good things are ahead for the Hawks organization, or for us as fans, due to the front office upheaval and nepotism driven decision making.
I will caution us all, however, that some times these things work.  Only a few years ago my favorite soccer team, Arsenal (of the English Premier League) hired a young, first-time manager in Mikel Arteta.  His hiring was pretty roundly booed by those "in the know."  There was subsequently a great deal of front office upheaval.  Then the owner (Stan Kroenke, who owns the LA Rams and several other American teams) elevated his son, Josh, to "mind the store" for him.  Josh had little to no experience.
Now, three years later, Arsenal is top of the league.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, akay said:

Hawks org REEKING of unprofessionalism, nepotism, and lack of directional clarity. What is going on inside that building? 😕 

Perhaps we're just going through  some growing pains, and Trae/Fields/Nick are actually bball geniuses and they'll start making great moves to put us on track...🤞🏽.

Not sure how likely that is though 😔

Sucks cause I unfortunately can't stop watching this freaking team, so we're strapped into this rocket and hoping we going somewhere fun 🙏🏽

We can hope and pray. But after the info has leaked all the moves make sense. We are hiring extremely inexperienced people at key positions because our new unofficial head of basketball ops has no experience himself and probably doesn't feel comfortable with having much more experienced people (Schlenk) reporting to him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

His age and lack of experience is an enormous problem. Average age of GM's is around 45-50 years old, with only a handful being under 40 (Schlenk was one of the younger ones). There's a reason for this. GM is essentialy the COO of a complex large multi-faceted operation, you need to have an intimate understanding of many different nuanced areas from scouting / film analysis to player development, coaching, contract and trade negotiations etc. It's perhaps THE key leadership position in the entire organisation, most GMs have been involved in front office or been pro players/coaches for sveral decades before they are qualified ot run the operation themselves. The odds a 27 year old with less than 5 years experience is going to be able to manage all these vastly senior managers, coaches and directors effectively is slim to none, even if he was a basketball savant, which he probably isn't. 

This is true, but like I said it's the nepotism.  If they had went out and vetted someone and came away with a 27 year old, then I'd be more encouraged.  It's just the defacto of handing him the responsibility. 

The relationship building and all that fun stuff is true too, but just because you're 27 doesn't mean you can't do a competent job.

People thought the Rams were crazy for hiring a young coach. He got them Superbowl because he put good people in charge of his offense and defense. 

Same thing could, although unlikely from the story, happen with Nick.  If he puts competent people in place, he'll be okay, but looks like he's sticking with his bros. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

We can hope and pray. But after the info has leaked all the moves make sense. We are hiring extremely inexperienced people at key positions because our new unofficial head of basketball ops has no experience himself and probably doesn't feel comfortable with having much more experienced people (Schlenk) reporting to him. 

The nice thing about GM'ing the NBA, is that there's no formal education or required skills needed to succeed. 

You have to have a good understanding of the game and you'll be judged based on the couple of moves you make each year with trades/drafts/signings. 

I don't necessarily think more experience guarantees better moves will be made, but I'm only 25 so take that with a grain of salt lol.

I understand undermining Travis and pushing a trade without our top 15 GM's blessing was maybe not the best move, but if the logic is having 2 ball handling stars on the team will help push us further in the playoffs since our star can't be double teamed constantly, I can't hate on it.

We don't know what else Nick has recommended, but I would DJM trade is overall a positive for us regardless of missing draft picks since proven players > mysterybox of the draft, and we have yet to see what this team can do with a competent coach.

The pieces on our team don't matter if coach is gonna run his system without any thought of the personnel on his team, so I'm reserving judgement on all this right now.

The John Collins trade, new coach, and next years signings will indicate the true value of our new FO. 

Nepotism and all the bs is obviously bad, but not really indicative of how well they can put a ball team together.

If we won a couple more of the games we thought we would win, the games that came down to the last 3 minutes and were hovering around positive, I don't think there would be so much drama or chatter.

Injuries + Nate haven't put our team in a position of success, so hard to judge the FO if we're underperforming due to circumstances out of their control.

This sounds like I'm smoking lot of hopium, but I'm a believer in Trae/Landry. Nick sounds like he's just doing what they want, and if Nick isn't pushing his own basketball thoughts and instead deferring to experts, meh.

I enjoy stability and experience, but this new ride can also be fun 🤑

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

I guess @Spud2nique will have to admit I'm not making things up after the Athletic reports it

Odd time to gloat about being right or, connecting the dots on the rumor mill. I guess the smoke meant something this time but you still sound happy about it. :sad:

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I have been telling you guys and gal for weeks now that Nick Ressler is running the Hawks and that's why Travis basically quit. I guess @Spud2nique will have to admit I'm not making things up after the Athletic reports it 😛

It is bad. There's a reason I don't post as much as I used to do or share as much from my source because it is bleak. I told a friend on here in private that was talking to me in private about this just the other day actually. I don't want to ruin the fans excitement about this team. I don't want to tell you it is as bad as I have ever seen things outside of the A$G days.

But it is. Nick Ressler has zero basketball knowledge or experience but he is running the Hawks like he would try to run a software business or some other non sports business. Travis NEVER and I repeat N E V E R gave away our future picks or cap flexibility. He was a good if not great GM. And now he is gone. Not only will we lose him but another team will 100% hire him to be their GM and we'll have to compete against him. 

We gave up so much for DJM and there's no real lock he actually stays here. Imagine the reaction if he just leaves as a free agent. We let Horford and Millsap walk as free agents and got NOTHING back from it. We gave up a ton to get DJM. If he walks we don't just lose him for nothing we also have huge holes where our first rounders would be.

My source feels that Landry has a good head on his shoulders and can try and steer Nick Ressler from making  horrible decisions. Trae wants to win in Atlanta. Nick Ressler is and this a direct quote from my source "the biggest fanboy of Trae Young I have ever seen. He should change his name to Stan Ressler." 

Does this sound like a proper way to run a sports franchise? 

So what I'm seeing is:

Trae wants to win in Atlanta

We want Atlanta to win

Nick is a massive Trae Stan

Nick also wants to win in Atlanta

Moves will be made to make Atlanta win 🙏🏽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Well, let's talk probabilities though as it relates to his age.  Because it's one thing if you put in the work or are naturally gifted at something ... and you happen to be young.  Age shouldn't be a hindrance and it shouldn't automatically disqualify or discredit you.

However... and it's a big but ...

What are the odds thats what we're seeing here.  On the other hand, what are the odds this is a rich guy forcing his kid into power?

Actually, now that I think about it, it's not the age.  It's the nepotism.   Ah, ok.  Shut it, marqo.  You and I never disagree.  Not sure why I tried. 

That's the thing for me. I don't care about how young he is.  There are some incredibly talented young people.  I just believe he was given the job because his father was the owner of the team.  

I mean ultimately, I agree with @Atlantaholic and you.  I'm just not one to disqualify someone because of their age in things.  

It's about the process of him getting the position that's bothersome.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, marco102 said:

This is true, but like I said it's the nepotism.  If they had went out and vetted someone and came away with a 27 year old, then I'd be more encouraged.  It's just the defacto of handing him the responsibility. 

The relationship building and all that fun stuff is true too, but just because you're 27 doesn't mean you can't do a competent job.

People thought the Rams were crazy for hiring a young coach. He got them Superbowl because he put good people in charge of his offense and defense. 

Same thing could, although unlikely from the story, happen with Nick.  If he puts competent people in place, he'll be okay, but looks like he's sticking with his bros. 

For starters there's never been a 27 year old GM in the history of the NBA. At least not for sure in the last 70 years or so, so it would never happen. But no point in argueing about technicalities,  the reason a guy is running the team at 27 is because of nepotism, it couldn't be for any other reason is my only point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Odd time to gloat about being right or, connecting the dots on the rumor mill. I guess the smoke meant something this time but you still sound happy about it. :sad:

By the way @Sothron, $hit wasn’t you, it was Shams Charania but nice try. Usually we ignore your lil gossip around the team but this time you’ve sunk to a new low of taking credit for a rat 🐀 like Shams. 

Man, y’all are just a bunch of drama lovin millennial types.. sad cuz you ain’t even that age.

#fakeinsider #attentionneeder

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Or maybe it just kinda bothers me that you and me are cool but you from time to time doubt what I'm posting on here. I mean why would I make all that up for years and each time get proven correct a little later on when media types report it?  

Does my post actually come across as happy to you? Trust me, it is not. I am not happy. I am angry and disgusted that this franchise was on the right path under Travis and a non meddling owner. Except...the owner turned into the worst meddling owner possible by making their 27 year old child the only voice that matters in basketball operations. 

This is not a time to be happy as a Hawks fan, believe me. 

All I can say is this.  Atlanta fans are not New York fans and are not LA Lakers fans.  We will not show up to a terrible product on the floor whether Trae is out there or not. 

Once Ressler start feeling that impact.  He'll make a change. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, marco102 said:

All I can say is this.  Atlanta fans are not New York fans and are not LA Lakers fans.  We will not show up to a terrible product on the floor whether Trae is out there or not. 

Once Ressler start feeling that impact.  He'll make a change. 

Uh huh… the late arriving Atlanta crowd? :sad: 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

By the way @Sothron, $hit wasn’t you, it was Shams Charania but nice try. Usually we ignore your lil gossip around the team but this time you’ve sunk to a new low of taking credit for a rat 🐀 like Shams. 

Man, y’all are just a bunch of drama lovin millennial types.. sad cuz you ain’t even that age.

#fakeinsider #attentionneeder

Don't start that bro. If you want to talk then talk to me in PM.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, akay said:

So what I'm seeing is:

Trae wants to win in Atlanta

We want Atlanta to win

Nick is a massive Trae Stan

Nick also wants to win in Atlanta

Moves will be made to make Atlanta win 🙏🏽

Everything you said is true but the last part. We don't know if moves will be made to make Atlanta win because we have someone with zero basketball experience running the franchise. 

Someone on here, maybe it was @Spud2nique or @kg01 actually compared Nick Ressler to running the Hawks like playing 2k on franchise mode. That's what my source said some of Nick's ideas come across as being in reality. Does that sound like someone capable of making moves that turn out to be winners?

I pray it does. As @JayBirdHawksaid there's only two outcomes for this nepotism on steroids decision: it either ends up WONDERFUL and I mean AMAZING or it is one of the all time great disasters in NBA history.

We are the Atlanta Hawks. Which one seems more likely? 

• Like 4
  • Sad 6