• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Athletic (Sam Amick): Nick Ressler runs the team now (The Resslers = Atlanta Spirit Group 2.0?) (OPEN THE FLOOD GATES Y'ALL)

GameTime

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

What are the odds thats what we're seeing here.  On the other hand, what are the odds this is a rich guy forcing his kid into power?

To say it in a way that Ressler might agree is fair.... Daddy wants to devote his attention to his other businesses, and this is all going to be his kid's someday anyhow, and since he seems interested to be given the steering wheel, Daddy's ready to give his golden boy the chance to prove himself capable. It's what dads do, but less so when dads don't have the resources of a billionaire.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Actually, now that I think about it, it's not the age.  It's the nepotism.   Ah, ok.  Shut it, marqo.  You and I never disagree.  Not sure why I tried. 

No, you're wrong.

It's not one or the other, it's both.

It wouldn't be the reason for concern that it is if Junior had amassed some reason for expectation that he could be competent.... similar, it wouldn't be the reason for concern that it is if Junior was someone else's kid, since it would be taken that the motive for giving the kid the steering wheel almost certainly is rooted in the kid's having been assessed by independent minds as something like a savant.

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Well, let's talk probabilities though as it relates to his age.  Because it's one thing if you put in the work or are naturally gifted at something ... and you happen to be young.  Age shouldn't be a hindrance and it shouldn't automatically disqualify or discredit you.

However... and it's a big but ...

What are the odds thats what we're seeing here.  On the other hand, what are the odds this is a rich guy forcing his kid into power?

Actually, now that I think about it, it's not the age.  It's the nepotism.   Ah, ok.  Shut it, marqo.  You and I never disagree.  Not sure why I tried. 

I would stick tick all boxes.

A President is a critical leader who needs to be able to manage people and personalities and who, if he is going to help deals done, needs to have credibility when he picks up the phone and talks to the probably 50-something exec on the other end of the line.  

For someone with as little life experience as a 27 year old to be considered for a role like this, they need to be a wunderkind who have demonstrated exceptional performance in the field - probably demonstrating a unique and groundbreaking way of approaching key issues.  

Nick has no experience in basketball let alone anything exceptional.

Nick has no comparable experience as a business leader.  In fact, he has zero management experience.  I mean look at this resume prior to coming to the Hawks:

image.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would stick tick all boxes.

A President is a critical leader who needs to be able to manage people and personalities and who, if he is going to help deals done, needs to have credibility when he picks up the phone and talks to the probably 50-something exec on the other end of the line.  

For someone with as little life experience as a 27 year old to be considered for a role like this, they need to be a wunderkind who have demonstrated exceptional performance in the field - probably demonstrating a unique and groundbreaking way of approaching key issues.  

Nick has no experience in basketball let alone anything exceptional.

Nick has no comparable experience as a business leader.  In fact, he has zero management experience.  I mean look at this resume prior to coming to the Hawks:

image.png

Yeah but .... he was the bestest intern tho..... right?

Honestly, if my dad were a bajillionaire, I wouldn't feel comfortable just being given this type of position without atleast pretending to earn it.

My dad owns a business, on a much much smaller scale of course.  He talks about me taking over in some capacity and I feel totally uncomfortable with that.  I know the business some, but it would be unfair to claim I'm ready to walk in and tell people what to do.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

His age and lack of experience is an enormous problem. Average age of GM's is around 45-50 years old, with only a handful being under 40 (Schlenk was one of the younger ones). There's a reason for this. GM is essentialy the COO of a complex large multi-faceted operation, you need to have an intimate understanding of many different nuanced areas from scouting / film analysis to player development, coaching, contract and trade negotiations etc. It's perhaps THE key leadership position in the entire organisation, most GMs have been involved in front office or been pro players/coaches for sveral decades before they are qualified ot run the operation themselves. The odds a 27 year old with less than 5 years experience is going to be able to manage all these vastly senior managers, coaches and directors effectively is slim to none, even if he was a basketball savant, which he probably isn't. 

Not to mention a large portion of the job requires you to work with or out maneuver your counterpart with other organizations.  Counterparts who aren't your bro's and who are experts at making transactions seem better for you than they actually are.  Why?  Because they have years of doing it and are armed with an intimate understanding of the cba, their organization, your organization, the league, and a host of other mitigating factors he has no idea even exist.

Edited by kg01
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Not to mention a large portion of the job requires you to work with or out maneuver your counterpart with other organizations.  Counterparts who aren't your bro's and who are experts at making transactions seem better for you than they actually are.  Why?  Because they have years of doing it and are armed with an intimate understanding of the cba, their organization, your organization, the league, and a host of other mitigating factors he has no idea even exist.

Yup the NBA is not a startup where you can be a 28 year CEO of the company that's really just an app. Front office competency is built through years and years of relationship building with people who have basically been involved in pro basketball close to their entire lives. Just commanding the respect you need from everyone WITHIN the organization is tough enough, not to mention when dealing with your rival GMs who have been involved in the game longer than you've been alive and sole goal is to fleece you. Judging by the shit-show of Schlenk's removal I'm going out on a limb and assuming he's not up to the task. 

• Like 3

Daddy's boy, age 27.

Why did the three leave?  Speculation.  Maybe they were not going to take orders from a 27 year old.  Most older men would resent a much younger man taking over.  I know nothing.  Just a guess.

Remember, daddy has a lot of money.  But, he has a lot of money tied up in the Atlanta Hawks orginization.  He's not just going to throw it all away.  He is trusting his son to handle the job properly and do what daddy tells him to do.

Don't knock youth.  This coming from the oldest Squawk member.  We all remember the joke:  The man's computer is down and he can't fix it.  Don't worry.  His tech expert will fix everything as soon as he gets home from his kindergarten classes.

Again, why does he have such young assistants?  Because us grumpy old men will not work for a man that age.  Has he destroyed this Hawk team?  Nope.  And he may be just what we need.  Give the guy the opportunity to be good or bad before you kick too hard.

I know.  Things aren't very good right now.  Maybe it will improve.  Or, it may worsen.  

:smug:  GO ATL HAWKS!!

• Like 3

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Other than personal stuff it makes no sense that they didn't continue to let Travis run the team.   He did a really good job.  Had he continued to have control i think we would have continued to get better.  I can't figure out why Tony would pull these shenanigans unless he really doesn't like Travis or just really wants to make his son happy or both.   Otherwise there's no good basketball or financial reason to pull the rug out like this. 

Travis was a top 10 GM, top 15 at worst. To just throw him away is crazy. Outside of maybe trading up for Hunter not sure there are many big mistakes he made. 

• Premium Member

Hawks org REEKING of unprofessionalism, nepotism, and lack of directional clarity. What is going on inside that building? 😕 

Perhaps we're just going through  some growing pains, and Trae/Fields/Nick are actually bball geniuses and they'll start making great moves to put us on track...🤞🏽.

Not sure how likely that is though 😔

Sucks cause I unfortunately can't stop watching this freaking team, so we're strapped into this rocket and hoping we going somewhere fun 🙏🏽

• Like 3
  • Sad 1