• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Athletic (Sam Amick): Nick Ressler runs the team now (The Resslers = Atlanta Spirit Group 2.0?) (OPEN THE FLOOD GATES Y'ALL)

GameTime

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You just gonna move on?  But then ... what would we fight about, stu? 

There's a politics and religion board here, right?

But, true, true... I don't spend much time there either.

Maybe you can become a Dallas Cowboys fan, and we'd fight over on CowboysZone.com.... ? 😄

(By the way, I don't like them referring to Tony Pollard as "Sweetness," just so you know, and have put my foot down on that one. Strangely enough, the Cowboys social media folks aren't trying to refurbish that nickname for modern usage. Think they must respect the game or some other nonsense like that.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Although @AHF is right that this is different than the A$G, does it really matter?

Thats like picking between drowning or freezing to death.  I'd go with neither, Alex.

And them going out to LA to pal around just smacks of all the wrong things.  Im sure other mgt teams do it but the timing and optics are terrible considering the season has been aflame for months now with no relief in sight.  But yall out by the pool just rubbin' each other ....

.... what?  I was gonna say 'shoulders'.  Why're you lookin at me like that? 😁

Oh and I bet the source for all this rhymes with mcNate Schlenkillan... 

folks are putting ASG worse due to the racism which I completely understand but primarily from a basketball point of view Tony has the ASG beaten literally by a millimeter!

I hope Landry and Korver can help us cause I’m sure the kids are playing real life MYGM 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

If I ever own the Hawks I’m appointing (some) :er: of you all (most cuz you’re passionate) to the staff in one form or another. Wait, that’s kinda what Ressler is doin with his son..

But you guys know basketball 🏀, that kid is an idiot. :sarcastic: I’m sorry I’m just..

He doesn't even  have to be an idiot. He could be the most dedicated, intelligent basketball guy on planet earth, watching tape and going through numbers non stop all day every day, he could know more about the game than every poster on here combined. It's still moot. He's 27. To put it into perspective while Schlenk was head of scouting for the GS warriors this guy was playing with action figures and sneaking into his parents bed after bad dreams.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'll just adopt a distant-second favorite team and pay less attention to the NBA overall unless/until the day would come that they re-legitimize me spending any time on them.

I tried that ish with the Sonics and Hornets 🐝.. I dabbled and flirted.. wasn’t for me. Agree though that I’m not gonna waste my time with this lil brat and his new toy. 

I’m semi….. :er: harrrr… DONE! Gotcha bit! :sarcastic:

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

The biggest positive I saw in all of that **** was the idea that Kyle Korver might be the new Assistant GM.  That would be at least be the potential for real help for Landry.

I like Kyle, but, really? Wasn't he our shooting coach last year. From shooting coach to assistant GM... that's a Jeff Saturday level move. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JTB said:

folks are putting ASG worse due to the racism which I completely understand but primarily from a basketball point of view Tony has the ASG beaten literally by a millimeter!

I hope Landry and Korver can help us cause I’m sure the kids are playing real life MYGM 

Nah, from a basketball perspective the ASG:

• Had Belkin claiming to overrule the rest of the owners on the Joe Johnson trade by virtue of his being governor;
  • Knight publicly claimed that Belkin attempted to overrule the trade because he wanted an absolute minimum payroll;
  • Had a legal injunction set in place preventing the team from removing him as governor meaning the team could not sign any player, complete any trades or do anything that required notification to the league until the governor dispute was resolved;
  • While the case is going on, the Court orders something unprecedented in professional sports history as far as I know:  a legal limit on how much the team can spend on players (one that would not allow us to spend like we are spending right now);
  • Had the League Commish testifying to the court in favor of the other owners being able to remove Belkin which resulted in the court dissolving the injunction;
  • After a buyout agreement was signed, Belkin objects 10 seconds after receiving a valuation report setting off a legal fight over the valuation of the team during which there are legal limits put in place since ownership of the team is disputed;
  • The ASG sells the Thrashers ending any possibility of Atlanta ever owning an NHL hockey team for as far as anyone can see into the future;
  • In the meantime, Gearon has been playing GM which included him getting fined for tampering;
  • Team is put into hiatus and not able to complete trades, sign new players of consequence, etc. when they announce a deal to sell to Alex Meruelo;
  • Months later the sale to Meruelo breaks down;
  • Ferry is hired and given actual basketball authority but Gearon resents him having decision-making authority and fights his authority unsuccessfully;
  • Gearon then leaks the Luol Deng comment in an effort to make the team look so bad that they will need to fire Ferry so that he can resume having basketball authority instead of just letting the GM who built the best Hawks team in decades run the show;
  • The ASG push Ferry out the door as a result of the PR slam engineered by Gearon (who leaked everything without the context that Ferry read this out along with other comments during the call from a scout who actually authored the offensive language).

That **** show is way over what we've seen under Ressler even without considering whether there was problematic racism in the organization.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I like Kyle, but, really? Wasn't he our shooting coach last year. From shooting coach to assistant GM... that's a Jeff Saturday level move. 

Kyle has always struck me as a cerebral player who knows the game and someone with an extreme work ethic.  He has a long track record in the league including playing with everyone from scrubs to generational players.  He doesn't have the experience I'd want ideally but sometimes it works out reasonably well with guys like Danny Ainge, Larry Bird, and Joe Dumars.  Sometimes it is a disaster like Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas.  Kyle seems to me to be closer to the Dumars, Bird, etc. side of that equation in terms of personality so I'm at least in position to think this might end up being a good move.

I have no such confidence in these other recent moves.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Kyle has always struck me as a cerebral player who knows the game and someone with an extreme work ethic.  He has a long track record in the league including playing with everyone from scrubs to generational players.  He doesn't have the experience I'd want ideally but sometimes it works out reasonably well with guys like Danny Ainge, Larry Bird, and Joe Dumars.  Sometimes it is a disaster like Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas.  Kyle seems to me to be closer to the Dumars, Bird, etc. side of that equation in terms of personality so I'm at least in position to think this might end up being a good move.

I have no such confidence in these other recent moves.

I'm hopeful but being a knock down three point shooter and a very smart player is not a qualification to assist a GM, literally the second most important position when it comes to basketball decisions. Few resumes are as lean as Korver's when it comes to front office experience around the league. 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Just because you are 27 doesn't mean you aren't good at your job. There are many cases where young people are better at jobs than people with more experience because they  view the job from a different perspective.

Not saying this is the case for Nick, just saying just because he is young is not the reason I'm hesitant about him. Its the nepotism.

Nick is in the position he is in because of nepotism, not because he's qualified or worked hard.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I'm hopeful but being a knock down three point shooter and a very smart player is not a qualification to assist a GM, literally the second most important position when it comes to basketball decisions. Few resumes are as lean as Korver's when it comes to front office experience around the league. 

Check out the resumes of Joe Dumars when he was hired as President and effectively GM of the Pistons.  Just saying former players sometimes jump right into these roles without any experience.  (I'm putting Kyle in that category.)  Bird and Ainge had no executive experience, although I'd give more credit for having coached than Kyle has (Budcox notwithstanding).  

• Like 2