• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

3 hours ago, warcore said:

I can agree with this and with RD. But I think it comes from Quin lighting a fire under the teams ass. 

I see it coming. I saw glimpses in the playoffs. We had moments. Quinn wants more players with versatility so that we can play his style of defense. 

The team is bought in to Quinn either way. It’s just about development, consistency, and chemistry on that end now.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, warcore said:

this isn't a got damn daycare where people play clubhouse, D.... this is a business. Stop with the players having feelings and acting like LeBron.

That's just it.  Since Lebron, this has become a clubhouse.   Players have become aware of just how much power they have hold in team building.  So much so that no GM will start a major team building project without consulting their star player.   Especially if he's a superstar.   Because you piss of your superstar and he will want off the team.  Look around @warcore, we have built this team to make Trae successful.  LIKE IT OR NOT.   We're not building a team that will be successful without Trae.  Moreover, Trae knows the game and he knows who has fire.  He looked at Ayton last offseason and said, please bring back Capela.   Why?  Because he knew that Ayton was a true sorry Joker.   

Trae was drafted with this man.  Hears the talk from other pros.   Probably got some indication that this guy is the problem in Phoenix. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, warcore said:

this isn't a got damn daycare where people play clubhouse, D.... this is a business. Stop with the players having feelings and acting like LeBron. Talent and coaching is what this team needs.... not cliques of besties. We've seen where that has gotten us -- nowhere. 

I have no interest in watching another season of JC destroying his trade value further cuz he can't do anything cuz the lane is clogged with "Trae's bestie". None. 

I can agree with this and with RD. But I think it comes from Quin lighting a fire under the teams ass. 

They're not robots.  Feelings matter.  On literally every team.  Every one. 

And good coaches don't "light fires under teams' arses".  That's not coaching.  This ain't high school or a Disney movie.

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Seriously anyone know how dude is doing? It’s been almost a decade since the incident.

I wanna ask but I don't wanna give AH (another) excuse to kick me in the face. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We lack a defensive identity across the board. 

DJM showed more than a handful of times when he wants to go full tilt on defense he can pick up a ball hander and make their life miserable. He had plenty of clean strips playing 1 on 1 in very limited situations. 

We just do not have an identity as a team that allows guys to play aggressively on defense. Doesn’t matter the player. We are saying the same things about Dre being a false lockdown defender. If DJ or Dre play aggressive they will get beat or draw fouls because the team behind them is not stepping up to wall off the drive. Clint is not leaving the paint to help outside. 

How can we have so many guys with the tools to play good defense and they all underwhelm? Its a lack of identity. 

The Spurs as an organization practice a defensive identity. DJ said it, he was buried on their bench behind scrubs until he proved he could be an asset defensively, then he saw the floor.

We are not like that in Atlanta.

Remember at the beginning of the season, DJM came out of the gates like a gangbuster playing defense? That lasted for about a week or so before it kind of fizzled out. It seemed he got worn out doing all the heavy lifting while the rest of the team stood and watched. 
Quin has an opportunity to really raise the floor getting the whole team to buy in. It’s so much easier for everyone to share the load than it is to put all that responsibility on a chosen few. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I knew I would find something, if I kept digging.  Remember, they fired Stan Van Gundy after 1 season.  This is interesting.

Also, he played 61 of those 114 games under Van Gundy.

The approach used by New Orleans resulted in the following over the last 4 seasons:

242 games played by Josh Hart

241 games played by Jaxson Hayes

223 games played by Brandon Ingram

217 games played by Nickeil Alexander-Walker

114 games played by Zion Williamson

Why is Zion at half the number of games played by the others?  Is the claim that New Orleans did something unique with Zion that was problematic but took a different and more successful approach with these others? 

Stan Van Gundy suggests in the video above that the team needs to have Zion scrimmage and play games.  Do we think New Orleans didn't allow him to play games or didn't allow him to scrimmage before he was "out" so that the cause of him going out was a refusal to let him play games? 

As for Stan's statement that they need to do something different, that is very possible but does anyone really think they haven't tried something different over 4 years of mostly non-availability?  Do we really think they haven't tried different rehab, different dietary suggestions, etc.?  I just find that very, very hard to believe.  There is too much money at stake for them not to have thought of having someone fill his fridge with healthy food, etc.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sothron said:

I know this might sound obvious so forgive me in advance. Teams inquiring about our players with serious offers and not the Danny Ainge "give me your house for the cup of coffee in my hand" offers doesn't mean a guy is gone or the team doesn't value them. DJM has real value in the league and a number of teams have a serious hole at PG that DJM could fix. 

DJM had a deleted tweet basically saying if any rumor is posted some of y'all will believe anything. That was I think today that he posted and deleted it. He's probably talking about me or some other rumors out there. Not sure. I just want to add this asterisk to what I said before because I know Hawks players/employees check the board and most def check out the rumor threads.

It was in response to Eric Picnus report

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

Remember at the beginning of the season, DJM came out of the gates like a gangbuster playing defense? That lasted for about a week or so before it kind of fizzled out. It seemed he got worn out doing all the heavy lifting while the rest of the team stood and watched. 
Quin has an opportunity to really raise the floor getting the whole team to buy in. It’s so much easier for everyone to share the load than it is to put all that responsibility on a chosen few. 

I replied to this early this AM, but the post vanished.

Under Bud, Atlanta had a strong defensive identity.  So, yes.  I think a lot of it has to do with coaching and scheme.  I think the Hawks get back to having that identity under Quin.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Under Bud, Atlanta had a strong defensive identity.  So, yes.  I think a lot of it has to do with coaching and scheme. 

You really think that? Because, to me, whatever "defensive identity" we had, it had everything to do with two players... Millsap and DMC. I'll grant that coaching and scheme was solid to my novice eyes, but I feel like the greatest credit belongs to the players, and to the guy who obtained them

• Premium Member

Not big on sentences that imply that we know one way or the other whether chatter about Player X is initiated from the ATL front office or from other teams' front offices. Not a fan where it concerns JC, not a fan where it concerns DJM, not a fan where it concerns Garrison Mathews et al. Us humans seem to have a real apprehension with using words that are precisely accurate and avoid presumption. ("Us"... yes, I include me.)

Just putting that out there.

Can we please stop acting like Deandre Hunter and Dejounte Murray are bad defenders? @RedDawg#8 said it best when our defenders see the rest of the team play lackadaisical and not covering the back end, why would they continue to play aggressively and potentially get beat? When the effort is there from the entire team, both Hunter and DJM lock in more on defense and start to shine. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sturt said:

You really think that? Because, to me, whatever "defensive identity" we had, it had everything to do with two players... Millsap and DMC. I'll grant that coaching and scheme was solid to my novice eyes, but I feel like the greatest credit belongs to the players, and to the guy who obtained them

Yeah.  I do.  It's not a mystery why his former assistants who are now head coaches all have similar defensive identities.  It may not be the exact same scheme, but his former assistants have defenses that are among the league leaders in defensive eFG%.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

his former assistants who are now head coaches all have similar defensive identities.

If you are saying "similar defensive identities" in the context I spoke of... "good"... but nothing exceptional.... then, okay.

You don't seem to be saying that, though.

I honestly didn't know that any one of them had some kind of exceptional defensive reputation.

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I kind of blame that on the Pelicans.

He had his weight blow up when he had the foot injury.  Did his foot injury prevent him from doing cardio on a bicycle, or doing non-leg bearing weight training?  Or having a nutritionist assigned to him to fix him meals?

Yes, the player has to put in work and take his body serious. But we're also talking about a 20/21 year old kid that obviously doesn't know how to take care of his body.  And now we know he may have had some major distractions slowing his recovery ( even though she said she motivated him to lose weight ).

I just think the Pelicans handled that dude all wrong

Navaho!

Remember these:

He has fallen asleep in film study.Skipping rehab.He has skipped things he needs to be at the team for that comes to trying to get him back out on the court.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/12/17/report-zion-williamson-has-skipped-rehab-fallen-asleep-during-film/

Then for some reason he went to Portland to continue his rehab 'away from.the team.'

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:
21 hours ago, Sothron said:

I can’t see a trade that nets us any player of value for DJM just due to his contract unless we plan to sign and trade him. All inclinations are that he would want more than the 25mil he qualifies for in an extension. 

Yes and It would be an extension to his existing contract then he won't be able to be traded for 6 months.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Sothron said:

Personal opinion: I like DJM. I do. But he wasn't the on ball defender I thought he was going to be that he was in SAS. We need an on ball defender in the worst way possible. If we could trade him for that plus picks to replace what we lost to get him I can totally be okay with that. 

Also okay with moving him to net a higher grade star player in the front court as well.

Thoughts on who such a player would be where we get that player PLUS picks.

Somewhere in this, hopefully that player can get his own shot and reasonable run the offense or it's back to Trae feeding everyone their shots which increases his usage once again.  When teams triple team Trae, who's the outlet to run the offense?

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Diesel said:

But would we take Ball + 4 1st round picks for Murray?

It feels like a losing move. Mainly because he's about to retire and  We're past pick taking. 

1. This doesn't help us on.the court.

2. Chi doesn't have 4 picks to trade,earliest  pick they can trade is in 2027.

2. Why would Ball retire and give up the $40+ million left on his deal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1