• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member

If you had to pick one?

Greg Swartz from Bleacher Report has listed Jevon Carter, Patrick Beverley, and Reggie Jackson as potential targets for the Atlanta Hawks backup PG role. “Atlanta has quietly become one of the deepest teams in the NBA, with two potential All-Stars at guard, a load of wings after the trade for Saddiq Bey and a frontcourt that somehow still features John Collins. The Hawks can't afford to be big spenders in free agency but could use a veteran point guard behind Trae Young and Dejounte Murray.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If you had to pick one?

Greg Swartz from Bleacher Report has listed Jevon Carter, Patrick Beverley, and Reggie Jackson as potential targets for the Atlanta Hawks backup PG role. “Atlanta has quietly become one of the deepest teams in the NBA, with two potential All-Stars at guard, a load of wings after the trade for Saddiq Bey and a frontcourt that somehow still features John Collins. The Hawks can't afford to be big spenders in free agency but could use a veteran point guard behind Trae Young and Dejounte Murray.”

D. None of the above

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, LucastheThird said:

Can we please stop acting like Deandre Hunter and Dejounte Murray are bad defenders? @RedDawg#8 said it best when our defenders see the rest of the team play lackadaisical and not covering the back end, why would they continue to play aggressively and potentially get beat? When the effort is there from the entire team, both Hunter and DJM lock in more on defense and start to shine. 

Neither is a bad defender at all.  I think the disconnect is that some of us Hawks fans expected them to be more dominant than they have been.  They are both good but not great defenders which is a quite valuable thing to be.  While people have given him crap over it, Supes' comment that Hunter is versatile enhances that good baseline as well.

The clip you posted on DH is a telling one because that was when a lot of us got very excited that Hunter might be a truly disruptive, shutdown defender.  If I am remembering correctly, that was when there was a thread playing on the Kraven the Hunter Marvel character and we had dreams that the Luka game could be indicative of something we would see a lot.  But several years later and we are all still pointing back to that Hunter vs Luka as the high water mark / highlight for his career so while he has continued to improve overall (on both sides of the ball) that kind of shutdown profile has been rarely seen.  For me DM is a little different because I see him as also having some challenges defending 2's just in terms of size and weight.  He also has at times struggled a bit more with positional defense than I expected.  The steals are very real.  He has good instincts and quick hands there and those turnovers can be impactful.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If you had to pick one?

out of these players I'd take Jevon Carter. Played nearly every game, shoots efficiently, and is fine on defense.

Would probably also be a good vet presence?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If you had to pick one?

Greg who?

Turns out he writes about CLE for BR.

Never mind. Nothing to see here. Just someone filling his writing quota.

Over here on Planet Hawks, we're well aware of just how much PT the 3rd PG gets on this team, which immediately suppresses the market... even before we get to the salary expectations of any of those three.

Our HC seemed to be really really appreciative of Aaron... and Aaron, in his exit interview, seemed to be really really prepared to come back. Let me know if anyone hears otherwise, of course.

If you had to pick one?

If he buys into the role. Pat Bev and it’s not even close for me. 

• Like 1

If you had to pick one?

Carter easy..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

That's, hands down, who I'd pick if I wanted the team to implode. 

Say what???? We are obviously on very different ends of the Beverley spectrum.

Again - buying into a role of being a vet that does not get a lot of playing time ... exactly what some of the guys on this team need. Trae would absolutely have to sign off on having someone like this around tho lol.

"Man, he's special," Towns said. "He’s special as a player, as a person. You know? He’s a winner. And he breathes winning and it’s great that his competitive juices fly that much because it pushes you to another level. He’s one of those guys I’ve always seen from afar, you hate to play against him and you would love it if he was your teammate. I couldn’t have been more right. You love playing with him, you hate seeing him on the court against you because he’s such a pest and he’s annoying as hell. He’s one of those dudes. Whatever you say he lacks in size, or he lacks in skill set, or whatever he totally makes it up by being himself and being the energy you need a leader to be." - KAT

"He's been the most influential player in my career so far," Zubac said. "He pushed me to work hard and I learned how to be a true professional."

"It's just the way he works every day," Zubac said. "He's being professional, and it's the way he prepares for the game. Since I got here, he's been pushing me to do the same, to be locked-in and focused." - Zubac

Outside of a handful of players, by all public records that I have heard or read, former teammates have nothing but positive things to say about playing with the guy. 

32 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Say what???? We are obviously on very different ends of the Beverley spectrum.

Again - buying into a role of being a vet that does not get a lot of playing time ... exactly what some of the guys on this team need. Trae would absolutely have to sign off on having someone like this around tho lol.

Outside of a handful of players, by all public records that I have heard or read, former teammates have nothing but positive things to say about playing with the guy. 

Trust me, I see what you're seeing in him. I just think it's all an act.  Not surprising Towns is all in on him.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

If Hawksquawk was a person:

Guarantee this will be the best thing you see on Twitter today, even if you are following Zion drama. 

You did not lie.  That was fantastic!  Lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, sturt said:

Over here on Planet Hawks, we're well aware of just how much PT the 3rd PG gets on this team, which immediately suppresses the market... even before we get to the salary expectations of any of those three.

We seem to forget our #3 PG.  Aaron Holiday played well in the few minutes he got to play.  Young and Murray split all the PG time every game that they were healthy.  Any other PG would get the same treatment.

:smug:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

We seem to forget our #3 PG.  Aaron Holiday played well in the few minutes he got to play.  Young and Murray split all the PG time every game that they were healthy.  Any other PG would get the same treatment.

:smug:

Heard Glen Willis suggesting that we could move away from Trae and Murray splitting PG duties and bring in a defensive PG off the bench more regularly.  

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Heard Glen Willis suggesting

Not to shoot down the idea, but just for context... am I on safe ground to perceive that most of us perceive Glen as an X-and-Os analyst... and, that most of us, otoh, do not  perceive him as having any special insider insight into what the FO or the coaching staff have planned...?

So, this would be more like Glen saying, "This is what I would do if I had a say," right?

11 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

defensive PG

Should add... it seemed Aaron registered with Quin as a defensive PG based on his comments in pressers. I know he turned my head this season... hadn't anticipated he would play so hard on that end of the floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1