• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

I’m willing to bet they attach 15 in a trade. This draft is not deep at all.

They probably attach 15 with Collins for some upgrade and then package Capela with either Dre or somebody else besides DJM, Trae, and Bogi for a trade.

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The new CBA is so punitive to big spenders. Its going to change things considerably. Golden State would literally have to pay like a billion dollars in tax to keep their roster. I understand the need for competitive balance, but players are the ones who stand to lose if teams are discouraged from spending. 

13 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yep, I think ideal roster construction is going to slowly shift towards one max/supermax, two at the most, and solid pieces around those guys.  Overpaying for 2nd rate “stars” is going to be even more punishing 

Koonin's thoughts on new CBA....more likely Big 2s in lieu of Big 3s.

Hawks and the Luxury Tax

Had a meeting today: Tax is not something we are scared of, but you go into it when you believe you have a chance to do something because it's very difficult to get out of. It's not a 1 year '?????'. New CBA creates more punitive punishment for spending that restricts trades, exceptions, etc. More Big 2s, less Big 3s. The next 2 offseasons will be the most interesting in a long time because of new CBA rules and more player movement. New CBA is about spreading parity.

[This doesn't sound like they'll be interested in paying the tax to me]

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

I’m willing to bet they attach 15 in a trade. This draft is not deep at all.

They probably attach 15 with Collins for some upgrade.

@thecampster posted earlier this week that ideally the Hawks would like to pair #15 plus a vet for a 'roster upgrade'

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Koonin's thoughts on new CBA....more likely Big 2s in lieu of Big 3s.

Hawks and the Luxury Tax

Had a meeting today: Tax is not something we are scared of, but you go into it when you believe you have a chance to do something because it's very difficult to get out of. It's not a 1 year '?????'. New CBA creates more punitive punishment for spending that restricts trades, exceptions, etc. More Big 2s, less Big 3s. The next 2 offseasons will be the most interesting in a long time because of new CBA rules and more player movement. New CBA is about spreading parity.

[This doesn't sound like they'll be interested in paying the tax to me]

I think they’ll try and get out of the tax by packaging two trades with some combination of Collins Capela and someone else maybe Dre to net result 2 players.

I can imagine they are ready to put OO and Bey into the Capela and Dre spots then they need a Collins replacement. Bey will play a large 3 spot IMO because he is undersized to bang against 4’s. We actually need a good 4 defender that shoots 3’s.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I think they’ll try and get out of the tax by packaging two trades with some combination of Collins Capela and someone else maybe Dre to net result 2 players.

I can imagine they are ready to put OO and Bey into the Capela and Dre spots then they need a Collins replacement.

I don't see all this happening in one off season.

1. Both Bey and OO are extension eligible this offseason.

2. Bey is not a good enough defender, he was actually downright horrible. 

3. I don't think we have an entirely new front court. There is something to be said for continuity in some regard.

We already lack continuing in our front office and coaching and now we had on the player side. It's too much turnover.

The unguaranteed contract of Bruno, Martin, Vit and Mathews if they are all released gets us to ~$162 million, right at the 1st LT apron. So, in reality there is only a need to trade 1 front court player and take back less salary to fill out the remainder of the roster with vet mins to remain under the tax. [I hate we gotta penny pinch].

Next season is the issue when extensions for Bey and OO kicks in plus DJ needing a new deal.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Fearsome 4 (rookies) let’s 🏃‍♀️ it back :banjo:

IMG_8336.jpeg

I had to look back at the ‘04 draft to realize who #15 was (wtf is a Donta Smith!). You could tell he wasn’t it just by the Air Force 1s with no socks.  

I need Royal to get a head coaching job at some point.  Division 2, Turkey, somewhere.  I swear he’s been an assistant for half the league.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

I swear he’s been an assistant for half the league.

Him and Cassell. Cassell even more hasn’t he been an assistant since like 2009? He’s comfy under Doc I guess but he’s gonna be a good one once he gets a shot.

15 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I'm honestly okay with shedding salary and going young. 

If you want to win, you can shed salary and add low cost vets who know how to play the game.  Going young means your expectations are low.

Of the 18 teams with the average lowest age of their rotation players, 7 made the playoffs.  5 of those 7 teams got bounced out in the 1st round.  The Lakers made it to the conference finals, but they have Lebron and AD to play with all of their young guys.

image.png.d13180c2a1dfe436aab575c6a25a9297.png

Meanwhile, when you look at the 12 oldest teams in the league and their rotation players, 9 of them made the playoffs.  3 of those teams were in the Conference Finals.  And that group had two teams in the Finals.

image.png.c3c9baf1556d6631f73021c65b5fe59d.png

Then when it comes to money, 16 of the top 21 highest rotation player payrolls made the playoffs.

image.png.c40f1457f2b6f980286477a44aab8ebc.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Fearsome 4 (rookies) let’s 🏃‍♀️ it back :banjo:

IMG_8336.jpeg

I remember being hyped up to see the kids play in a preseason game in Nashville vs the Heat.  Of course the crowd was there to mainly see Shaq.  He didn't play, but did wave to the crowd as he sat the bench in an all black suit.  Joe Johnson didn't play in that game either.

The star of that game was actually #36 . . . Donta Smith.  Donta easily was the best player on the court for the Hawks that night.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I’m curious to see what a Collins trade and a Capela trade will look like.  I’m not convinced that you will be able to move them and get upgrades.  This screams salary dumps for draft assets and to create more time for guys like Johnson, Bey, and Griffin.  

Good...

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't see all this happening in one off season.

1. Both Bey and OO are extension eligible this offseason.

2. Bey is not a good enough defender, he was actually downright horrible. 

3. I don't think we have an entirely new front court. There is something to be said for continuity in some regard.

We already lack continuing in our front office and coaching and now we had on the player side. It's too much turnover.

The unguaranteed contract of Bruno, Martin, Vit and Mathews if they are all released gets us to ~$162 million, right at the 1st LT apron. So, in reality there is only a need to trade 1 front court player and take back less salary to fill out the remainder of the roster with vet mins to remain under the tax. [I hate we gotta penny pinch].

Next season is the issue when extensions for Bey and OO kicks in plus DJ needing a new deal.

But ideally you get under that sufficiently enough to be a player in the MLE period/portion of free agency. Going to be some awesome values this off-season by default.

• Like 1