• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks in talks with Snyder

Spud2nique

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

That aspect I like.  There just aren’t enough hours in a day for a coach to be a GM.  It would like a major company’s CEO also being the CFO.  You don’t have enough time to do both jobs the way they need to be done and don’t want decisions from the hip.

And I concur... but I also think it's more surgically a matter of how the responsibilities are actually divided up, past the mere titles held. It's obviously worked with Buford and Pops in SAS.

It didn't in ATL with "Budcox" but you have to wonder... ie, if we presume everything was set-up to mimic the SAS model that Bud knew so well... how much of that was complicated by nervousness by the new owner once there wasn't an immediate success... and Ressler sticking his nose into things for lack of confidence yet that Bud knew what he was doing (???)...

And to be fair to Tony, I think most of us shared that same feeling... what's that Steven Wright joke?... oh yeah...

189224-Steven-Wright-Quote-You-know-when

... it was like that.

Maybe the model works, it just needs the right owner and the right everyone else.

How hard can that be, right? 🙂 (Don't answer that.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Donovan Mitchell absolutely loved Quin and his offense in Utah.  Ja Morant absolutely loves Taylor Jenkins and his offense in Memphis.  Giannis loves Bud and his offense in Milwaukee.  Trae will love Quin and his offense in Atlanta once he gets in it.  I've always felt Trae would have been great in Bud's offense in Atlanta.  

Trae don't play like those other two. Those other two are functional off ball players, especially Mitchell and we saw that at Louisville. Ya'll gonna keep pushing till I am ultimately right and Trae is out of here. I just want that his replacement is another young star who fits what we are trying to do better. The biggest winner in this is everyone but Trae and Capela. Those two got holes they gotta fix to play in a motion offense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't think Bud and Wilcox had a strong working relationship in Atlanta, so it went sideways. 

I really disagree with this. I can't know, but everything about those two that I ever saw or ever heard them say was indication that they were on the same page. Yes, I'll acknowledge they seemingly disagreed on the prospect of holding on to Millsap, but think about that one further and it illustrates my theory... as POBO, Bud woulda been thought to have the final call on that... but he didn't, as it turned out. Why would that be... well, that's exactly why that would be... Ressler putting his thumb on the scale. So I lean toward that being a strong working relationship, but that it was the POBO/owner relationship that kept running sideways over time.

• Moderators

Thanks for that @KB21.   Honestly I'm concerned that Snyder wasn't able to accomplish much in the playoffs but i'm excited that this is a step in the right direction.

I also don't think you take this job if you don't think you can adapt and maximize Trae Young.  

And i'm also concerned that Snyder walks away and we look like fools.....again.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Where’s the first lady 🫅 Burd at? :er: I need her thoughts on Sny? I give it an A/A-… at worst a B+ hiring. More A- final answer.

@JayBirdHawk

@JayBirdHawk

@JayBirdHawk

Any or all three may respond? :roffl:

There are 3 headcoaches I wouldn't want - D'Antoni, Nash, Mark Jackson. I would welcome any of the other candidates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

And I concur... but I also think it's more surgically a matter of how the responsibilities are actually divided up, past the mere titles held. It's obviously worked with Buford and Pops in SAS.

It didn't in ATL with "Budcox" but you have to wonder... ie, if we presume everything was set-up to mimic the SAS model that Bud knew so well... how much of that was complicated by nervousness by the new owner once there wasn't an immediate success... and Ressler sticking his nose into things for lack of confidence yet that Bud knew what he was doing (???)...

I think part of that was Bud was thrust into a role that he wasn't prepared for. He came to coach and as a young coach he was given too much responsibility too soon.

• Like 1

@bleachkit coaches also want to be in the best position to win. Thats why in college they get on jets and spend hrs in cities with nothing but sticks and trees trying to recruit the talent that best fits their vision. 

You have to have a vision when coaching. You dont just plop players down and tell him, here coach what you have. Coach Bud left because he had a vision. You see the results

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think part of that was Bud was thrust into a role that he wasn't prepared for. He came to coach and as a young coach he was given too much responsibility too soon.

I hear that. But time and more confirmation that Bud really does appear to have a clue... coupled with Tony's sometimes dramatic bipolar attitudes... pushes me to a new conclusion that it was always more about Tony being the more potent ingredient in the volatile mixture. Had he left it alone and let the SAS model work--I mean, I don't even know who the owner of the Spurs is, honestly--may have had a very different and positive outcome after all. But we'll never know for certain.

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Look for Igor Kokoskov to be Atlanta's top assistant.

Snyder's dished out similar compliments to others who've been part of his journey, so it's hard to narrow it down to that one guy. Plus, he's got contacts all over the world, having spent time in Europe. Thing is, though, virtually all of them are currently employed. So that could signal that he'd wait until off-season to put together a staff of his own choosing. This one's in Brooklyn right now.

I'm holding fast to my suggestion that there's an available temp lead assistant who's coached a lot of NBA players in his career, and also happens to likely be available... since he just retired about a year ago. *wink wink wink*

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Trae don't play like those other two. Those other two are functional off ball players, especially Mitchell and we saw that at Louisville. Ya'll gonna keep pushing till I am ultimately right and Trae is out of here. I just want that his replacement is another young star who fits what we are trying to do better. The biggest winner in this is everyone but Trae and Capela. Those two got holes they gotta fix to play in a motion offense. 

I've been calling for Quinn for a year now because he is gonna be the coach to make Trae get right or be traded. You are correct. 

Edited by Hawkmoor