• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Clint Minutes Capped at 22 in the Last 3

benhillboy

Is there a lingering health issue or is this a watershed moment in his decline and a clear sign of the end for him here?  

When I see a team defensive rating of  almost 122 in Quinn’s short tenure, sure, “overhelping” may be an issue he sees but I assure you he and the analytic department are taken aback at Clint’s on/ off metrics.  He and all Bud disciples will drastically cut players who show a steady drop trend in on/off.  Clint’s never been anywhere close to a negative on player (+5.4 career), all of a sudden he’s at -.6 this season?

I haven’t been studying him like that (he hasn’t been on the floor long enough to lol) but I suspect his movement, screening, rolling, and communication (the most troubling) just hasn’t been there since he returned from that injury that was obviously more serious than we knew.  His steep defensive decline cannot be happening at the same time of Trae’s incline.  We trying to put sh%t on the table, not take off.

What have y’all been seeing?  I can’t believe style is an issue as Clint historically provides most of the same attributes Gobert did for a long time under Quin.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Clint is the worst pick and roll defender on the team now!  That why he is unplayable.  On top of that, the guy can't defend the paint anymore.  2 years ago, Clint led the league in rebounding and was 3rd in block shot.  Today he isn't top 5 in rebounding and doesn't even lead his own team in block shots per game.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

By the way, Duke has a big center I have an eye out for in the draft.  Don't really know a lot about him, just that he's a pretty good sized young man.

:ahf:

VOL4EVER and I just had our Big Orange topple Duke, 65/52 to advance in March Maddness!!

:peanut-butter-jelly-time:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Clint is the worst pick and roll defender on the team now!  That why he is unplayable.  On top of that, the guy can't defend the paint anymore.  2 years ago, Clint led the league in rebounding and was 3rd in block shot.  Today he isn't top 5 in rebounding and doesn't even lead his own team in block shots per game.

Can’t lie I didn’t know this. 

clints metrics may actually be worse then Myles Turner. Which I thought for Clint would be hard to do.

15 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We aren't spamming the PnR. 

Snyder effect for sure.

13 hours ago, Sothron said:

I think Clint is nursing an injury or two. He's just not moving the same way as he did back in the ECF season. His metrics bear it out as well that he's just not moving as well. 

Yeah something is definitely up. It seemed like at one point earlier in the season we were getting the ECF run Clint but far too often we don’t see that version of him. Hopefully this isn’t impacting his trade value IF the FO feels it’s time to move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 3/18/2023 at 9:16 PM, NBASupes said:

We aren't spamming the PnR. 

That affects his scoring but shouldn’t affect his defense or his rebounding.  Those are his true value so we are all good if he is a standout defender.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

That affects his scoring but shouldn’t affect his defense or his rebounding.  Those are his true value so we are all good if he is a standout defender.

I already talked about his regression in a previous thread of all things not relating to his rim protection, paint protection, and defensive rebounding but recently, he hasn't been elite of everything he's normally elite at. He's seem to drop a bit with Quin on board.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 3/18/2023 at 11:07 PM, Sothron said:

I think Clint is nursing an injury or two. He's just not moving the same way as he did back in the ECF season. His metrics bear it out as well that he's just not moving as well. 

He's not moving as well as he did earlier this season. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I love me some AJ but taking him over Kessler will be yet another franchise-hampering draft miss due to prolonged poor building philosophy.  Spellman over Brunson is a back breaker as well.

I was a Hawks fan for all of about 2 hours when I started screaming at the TV for the Hawks to draft Brunson.

Imagine solving all your ball handling issues for the next 10 years in one draft.

But I do question how Trae's development would've gone with Brunson sitting in the wings.  Would be an interesting What If for Marvel to explore in their next What If series.

• Premium Member

I don't delve too hard into picks that GMs make because I never know what the personal interviews look like.  Lots of people can look good on paper but when you interview them, you find out that they are a headcase or is just not a good fit.   So I can't begin to say we should have done this or we should have done that. 

What I do believe is that AJ might be special.   We have to develop him and see.  Kessler is going to be good and steady but I don't see special.. and I wanted Kessler...  He was third on my draft board behind  Jalen Duren and Mark Williams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 10:14 AM, shakes said:

I was a Hawks fan for all of about 2 hours when I started screaming at the TV for the Hawks to draft Brunson.

Imagine solving all your ball handling issues for the next 10 years in one draft.

But I do question how Trae's development would've gone with Brunson sitting in the wings.  Would be an interesting What If for Marvel to explore in their next What If series.

Trae’s TS is the lowest since his rookie season, he leads the league in total turnovers, and his defensive effort is as fleeting as it gets.  He hasn’t developed any in 5 years.  Check Austin Reeves’s BBRef metrics:

128 offensive rating / 117 defensive 

.134 WS/48

95.9 TS added 

+3.5 on court/ +6.2 on/ off net 

$1.5 M per

Now Trae’s:

116/ 119

+1.5/ +3.6

$37 M

Your boy has one of the worst value contracts going.

Edited by benhillboy