• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-2024 College Park SkyHawks Thread

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

This sounds like it makes a good outcome for him something like DM today.  Someone who pales in comparison to Trae as a playmaker but has some facility there and who is too small to be a full-time backcourt pairing with Trae.  That has value but I'm skeptical about fit as another starter.  As a member of the rotation, that fits much more logically.  Unless Kobe can show he can handle SG and synergizing with Trae in a way that Trae and DM couldn't do.  

It depends on how Kobe develops physically. Kobe and DJ are the same height (6'5") and have a similar skillset, but Kobe has more mass as a Rookie. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hawkman said:

It depends on how Kobe develops physically. Kobe and DJ are the same height (6'5") and have a similar skillset, but Kobe has more mass as a Rookie. 

6'4.25'' with a smallish wingspan and standing reach.  I definitely worry whether he will be big enough to start next to Trae (if he is good enough to warrant a starting role).

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, AHF said:

6'4.25'' with a smallish wingspan and standing reach.  I definitely worry whether he will be big enough to start next to Trae (if he is good enough to warrant a starting role).

6'4 -6'5 is fine for a shooting guard. Heck, DJ would be fine if he was a better defender at that position. Offense hasn't really been the problem besides the occasional offensive droughts. The main reason the Trae/DJ pairing isn't working is because DJ isn't the lockdown defender we thought he was. I can understand him being overpowered by stronger guys, but I'm really concerned by how many times his man blows right by him. If Kobe can play decent defense while providing 'enough' offense, I don't see why he couldn't work next to Trae?

• Like 2

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, hawkman said:

6'4 -6'5 is fine for a shooting guard. Heck, DJ would be fine if he was a better defender at that position. Offense hasn't really been the problem besides the occasional offensive droughts. The main reason the Trae/DJ pairing isn't working is because DJ isn't the lockdown defender we thought he was. I can understand him being overpowered by stronger guys, but I'm really concerned by how many times his man blows right by him. If Kobe can play decent defense while providing 'enough' offense, I don't see why he couldn't work next to Trae?

DM is that size and he is too small.  Kobe's wingspan and standing reach are smaller than Dejounte's.  He isn't as long as Dejounte.  Among his draft class, Kobe has less length than just about everyone but the point guards.  

For example, his wingspan is less than 1 inch longer than Marcus Sasser and Reece Beekman and they are only 6'1.25'' and 6'1.5''.  

His measurements are small for his height and given that his height is basically the same as DM who was too small it certainly suggests that Kobe might end up too small as well.  Hopefully he won't be but it is a red flag issue based solely on his measurements and the history with DM (who had an All-NBA Defense selection to boot).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

DM is that size and he is too small.  Kobe's wingspan and standing reach are smaller than Dejounte's.  He isn't as long as Dejounte.  Among his draft class, Kobe has less length than just about everyone but the point guards.  

For example, his wingspan is less than 1 inch longer than Marcus Sasser and Reece Beekman and they are only 6'1.25'' and 6'1.5''.  

His measurements are small for his height and given that his height is basically the same as DM who was too small it certainly suggests that Kobe might end up too small as well.  Hopefully he won't be but it is a red flag issue based solely on his measurements and the history with DM (who had an All-NBA Defense selection to boot).

When I see Kobe, I see Jason Terry

6’4 is not small for a SG. You have 6’4 guys playing full time at SF these days; Josh Hart, Bruce Brown, JaeSean Tate.

Isiah (6’1), Dumars (6’3) and Vinny Johnson (6’2) showed you can win with small guards on the floor together.

We have to stop getting stuck on inches and pay attention to toughness and mindset. A guy can have size and still play small and vice versa. Hell, Bey has size.

Whoever is playing with Trae needs to be aggressive and tough. We thought DJ was that kind of dude. We lack that mindset more than any thing else.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

6’4 is not small for a SG. You have 6’4 guys playing full time at SF these days; Josh Hart, Bruce Brown, JaeSean Tate.

Isiah (6’1), Dumars (6’3) and Vinny Johnson (6’2) showed you can win with small guards on the floor together.

We have to stop getting stuck on inches and pay attention to toughness and mindset. A guy can have size and still play small and vice versa. Hell, Bey has size.

Whoever is playing with Trae needs to be aggressive and tough. We thought DJ was that kind of dude. We lack that mindset more than any thing else.

Kobe is small. All those guys are bulky or extremely strong like Brown. Bufkin is slender and not the strongest

• Moderators

Is Bufkin playin wing or point on defense in his G-League games?  I’ve heard point but haven’t watched them.  Would like to see him checking a 6’6’’ opponent.  I guess with the weak competition in the G that every decent wing is in the NBA but would still be nice to see.

• Like 1

Sure, what a thrill and what an opportunity, but the constant back and forth has got to be mentally exhausting for these guys.  Especially once they realize they’re only there to dress and fill out the bench.  Only getting on the floor if, if, if and if.

AJ extended and dressing.  Lundy dressing.  KB doing the back and forth now.  All while the team seems to be treading water in a state of uncertainty. On a scale of 1 thru 10, where do you think the mercury settles on the ‘ol morale meter?

How are we doing down on the farm?  Skyhawks seem to be having a much better season than the NBA team.  If the Hawks ever decide to trade a bunch of players for future draft picks, these players might then move up.  You just never know.

:smug:

Skyhawks win!  I watched the 2nd half of this game. It was exciting to see the G League part of the Atlanta Hawks as they entered the 2nd half with a lead and didn't let up.  They are on a nice winning streak.

:smug:

I tend to agree with AHF on this one ... I don't see how Bufkin ever is a viable starter alongside Trae given size. 

I said this when we drafted him ... I think that Snyder feels like he's a more well rounded version of Jordan Clarkson. Future 6MOY type player. He's the Bogi replacement imo. And the way they have him playing in the GL furthers my belief they are trying  to develop that skillset. 

• Like 2