• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

12 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I understand the appeal of KAT but we were like #7 offense last year with JC broken shot, no spacing from Capela, and midrange Murray— not to mention outdated offensive principles from Nate.  More offense at the expense of defense does not feel like the direction to go… especially at center.  Imo its way easier to coach guys into an offensive scheme that gets them them better looks, better efficiency, than it is to teach defensive instincts and awareness.  So team Siakam for me

So one thing about defensive metrics, they are highly dependent on how the defensive possession begins.

Defensive possession stats go like this (in order worst scenario for defense to best).

Worst - turnover leads to transition.

long rebound leads to transition

possession due to offensive rebound

change of possession due to jump shot rebound

change of possession due to layup rebound

half court out of bounds

Full court out of bounds off made layup

best - full court out of bounds play off jump shot, 3 point shot, made free throw

By efficiency, turnovers lead to the most points by the other team (on average).  Made shots where the team gets a chance to run down and set up on defense are the best.  So there is a benefit to offensive efficiency and better 3 point shooting.  It leads to more set defensive sets, which does make defense easier to play.

Its minor but it is a consideration.  Many times things aren't as easy as they seem.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

This feels like a Hawks-Knicks Murray last ditch smokescreen. As for the KAT fans, if ya'll got more smoke out there to show us lemme know cause I ain't seeing nothing except for this:

So I'm confused ya'll tooting your horns about KAT

He hasn’t spoken to his agent yet. Lol. 

• Haha 1

Since we are just having fun in anticipation:

Trae : (Vet TBD) : Bufkin

Murray : Bogi : Vit

Green : Griffin

Siakam : JJ : Gueye

Okongwu : Bagley : Bruno

The team is rather small, so that probably wouldn’t work.  Just throwing ideas around for conversation; feel free to blast away… Green is smaller than Hunter and Bey, but he refills some of the lost 3-point shooting.  After watching more of his game, I’m intrigued.  Resigning him at a reasonable cost could be problematic.  

8CF15EA7-831E-4ABD-929B-46EDD087E5DE.png

D8DEE1AF-B3F3-4D46-9029-F6DC27DC2808.png

Edited by Hawkish

1 hour ago, MarylandHawk said:

Alright let’s declare our allegiance now. Team KAT stand up. Team Siakim show yourselves. Lol. 

I am on the KAT train. Toot toot. 

Team KAT. I'm more about roster fit.  KAT will not hurt our defensive ranking from last year and I think Quinn would get some improvement there.   With the offense we will have we'd only have to be top 15 defensively to make a run.  Just getting Siakim will cause roster construction problems  which I can not over look. I prefer KAT.

1 hour ago, Wretch said:

I'm 100% team KAT.  Shoot first, ask questions (about defense) later 🤣

This!

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Team KAT. I'm more about roster fit.  KAT will not hurt our defensive ranking from last year and I think Quinn would get some improvement there.   With the offense we will have we'd only have to be top 15 defensively to make a run.  Just getting Siakim will cause roster construction problems  which I can not over look. I prefer KAT.

This!

I don’t disagree, but what about those 50 million buckaroos next year. Lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Hunter + AJ + 1st + Capela ( dealt somewhere else )

If that's what will get Siakam, you pull the trigger and do it.

As long as its not Dallas.. Fk the Mavs.. lol

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Hunter + AJ + 1st + Capela ( dealt somewhere else )

If that's what will get Siakam, you pull the trigger and do it.

Way too much.  Siakam contract situation lowers the price.  Hunter plus 1 other asset (AJ, 1st, Capela, JJ).  Could add multiple second rounders, but that would be my final offer.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Defensive possession stats go like this (in order worst scenario for defense to best).

Worst - turnover leads to transition.

long rebound leads to transition

possession due to offensive rebound

change of possession due to jump shot rebound

change of possession due to layup rebound

half court out of bounds

Full court out of bounds off made layup

best - full court out of bounds play off jump shot, 3 point shot, made free throw

Good post.  Not intending to get into a back and forth but I'm home and have more time to type 🙂 .  The two worst outcomes above were VERY FAVORABLE for us last year (3rd least turnovers, we took 3rd lowest 3PA as well) and our defense was still bottom 10.  We just have so much room to improve on defense and in my opinion, it's largely personnel related.

Whereas on offense, getting rid of JC and his broken shot is already a plus, adding Quin into the mix and his staff is another big plus, Bey starting over Hunter (in Siakam trade scenario) is a plus, and Siakam is a much better offensive talent than JC.  OO starting will also be a plus to offense over CC.  So our 7th rated offense is already primed to easily be top 5 imo.  We need to improve on the defensive side!!!