• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Diesel said:

But nobody said every year.  I said for 1 year.  Then sign a 4 year deal.   The rational call is not to lock in at a lower price point when you can reasonably get a higher price point.   Moreover, I'm sure that the team he's signing with can add their own protections to the contract like TO or not having a trade kicker. 

I still think there is real risk for him that his contract value will go down.  

• Like 1

I mean there is such a thing as growing organically, guys.  If we had a team full of veterans, then you could reasonably expect to get the same results by running it back with the same squad.  But you have to remember that we still have a very young group.  Outside of Bogi and Capela, every single one of our important players are 26 years old or younger.  I think it's fair to expect that most of those guys will improve just from the natural progression that comes with age and experience.  Now throw in a new coach who is known for his player developmental skills, and you have a recipe to accelerate that growth even quicker.  And it's not outside the realm of possibility that one of those young guys, whether it be OO, JJ, AJ, Hunter, Bey or whomever, to break out this year and become that third star that most fans are clamoring for.  I'm just saying it's not the end of the world if we do end up running it back, especially with this squad.  I would much, much, much rather Landry do that than end up accepting a bad deal.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Phunkabilly said:

I mean there is such a thing as growing organically, guys.  If we had a team full of veterans, then you could reasonably expect to get the same results by running it back with the same squad.  But you have to remember that we still have a very young group.  Outside of Bogi and Capela, every single one of our important players are 26 years old or younger.  I think it's fair to expect that most of those guys will improve just from the natural progression that comes with age and experience.  Now throw in a new coach who is known for his player developmental skills, and you have a recipe to accelerate that growth even quicker.  And it's not outside the realm of possibility that one of those young guys, whether it be OO, JJ, AJ, Hunter, Bey or whomever, to break out this year and become that third star that most fans are clamoring for.  I'm just saying it's not the end of the world if we do end up running it back, especially with this squad.  I would much, much, much rather Landry do that than end up accepting a bad deal.

I have to agree here.   I think most want us to go out and get something new and shiny because they don't trust what we have or they have no patience for the organic growth.   I refer them to GS.   After GS settled in with the splash bros and Kerr as HC, their organic growth led them to chips.    Midstream, they did pick up a Durant but that was after they were established as a Championship team. 

hace 2 horas, Phunkabilly dijo:

I am fine with that approach, I think we will see improvements from OO, JJ, AJ and I could even expect some improvement on Hunter and Bey, the problem I see is the way the roster is built. We are weak on the frontcourt, we lack size, spacing, defense and rebounding.  I am fine trying JJ as starter PF but if we do that bet we need a solid backup PF and we don’t have that one, I don’t see Bey as a backup PF. We need a stretch PF or C that is big, can rebound and defend some. We had great opportunities with Bamba and Bryant but they are gone on reasonable contracts we could assume. If we go with this roster we are going to get destroyed on the paint.  

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

the problem I see is the way the roster is built. We are weak on the frontcourt, we lack size, spacing, defense and rebounding.  

I don't see the problems that you see.   You said Size, Defense, and Rebounding.   Well, we haven't moved Clint.  I think the Clint/OO combo at the 5 is a very good one for rebounding  and defense. 

PF is another story.   JJ, Bey, and DH are going to fight over the 3 and the 4 spot minutes.   Those are good sized guys.   Bey is aggressive he just needs defevelpment on defense.   IF Hunter were more aggressive, this would not be a conversation.   Because Hunter is one of those big wings.   However, we have to realize that a trade could still come later but I'm not for trading with no rhyme or reason. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BangHolman said:

6 seed?

Just understand that getting a 6 seed means another 1st round exit is likely.

Since 1984, the 6th seed has won 19 playoff series. That also means they have lost 41 playoff series.  That's a 31.7% win percentage.

So for everyone that wants us to stand pat, I need for all of you to fully accept what the coming season may bring us, for the sake of player development for OO, JJ, and AJ.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Dan's r saying this isn't a real source.  Ya know, since their front office is soooo super-secret.  Well other than all the crap they feed to Canadan BSPN to make themselves look soo great.

And, as an aside, anyone that thinks running it back isn't still an upgrade is totally discounting our new coaching staff.  Think it through, folx. 

• Confused 1

The proposition of Siakam or KAT to me was always about keeping a majority of our rookie contracts and shifting from paying Hunter & Capela to a higher tier player. 
Any available player is not gonna be Jokic.  These young guys will likely have more flaws than Siakam or Towns even after they develop.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Just understand that getting a 6 seed means another 1st round exit is likely.

Since 1984, the 6th seed has won 19 playoff series. That also means they have lost 41 playoff series.  That's a 31.7% win percentage.

So for everyone that wants us to stand pat, I need for all of you to fully accept what the coming season may bring us, for the sake of player development for OO, JJ, and AJ.

Oh, I know, but without another move that's where I see the ceiling for the current roster.

On 7/30/2023 at 3:59 PM, theheroatl said:

Winning a championship is hard. It’s not a perfect mix of players but it is definitely about talent. There is a good bit of luck involved but in the NBA and most sports, the more you spend the higher chance you have of hitting into something.

Yall waste so much time creating excuses why we shouldn’t spend or chase talent.

Instead of wasting time worrying about fit, collect the best talent and coaching and throw it out there. It’s not perfect and you can’t expect to just win.

There certainly are long winded posts around here trying to explain a path to success or the right plan but that’s pretty much just a colossal waste of time on those posters part.

If yall think you got the right plan figured out or you are a front office genius or you know which rookies will hit into all-nba talent, you should have chosen a career path in an nba front office.

Championship teams who are 1/2 players away from greatness show way more fight than our pathetic showing last season I would have been ok with chasing talent if we haven't already borrowed from the future in the Dejounte trade which didn't do much to change the team's destiny and a year later we are already scrambling trying to dig out of a sinking hole.

Enough with the quick fixes. Its time to reassess and have Trae prove he can be a consistent all nba performer, enough trying to please him like hes already an all time great and its time for Quin to prove he can take the hawks to being more than a fringe playoff team. If those two can't do that there is no point in continuing to invest into this core if the foundation is rotten.

If we don't do anything stupid. 2027 when Trae is a free agent (Maybe) and Dejounte has 1 year left, it gives the next era of Hawks basketball and whoever is at the FO a fighting chance to start fresh without being in a huge deficit.

Edited by yungsta

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, yungsta said:

2027 when Trae is a free agent (Maybe) and Dejounte has 1 year left, it gives the next era of Hawks basketball and whoever is at the FO a fighting chance to start fresh without being in a huge deficit.

Oh yes, waiting around for another era of Hawks basketball.........How many years are we forever 'starting fresh?'

We are just circling the wagon, over and over and over again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

And, as an aside, anyone that thinks running it back isn't still an upgrade is totally discounting our new coaching staff.  Think it through, folx. 

2 separate issues you are combining into one here chief. 

We will be much improved either way with Quin. That’s a moot point to me. We just want to give him as much talent to work with as possible.