• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Free Agency 06/30 at 6PM

JayBirdHawk

11 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

It isn’t about who is paying the money.  It’s understanding the fine dance required to build a championship team given cap restraints.  Trae, DJ, Siakam better be a winning trio because you will essentially have mostly young players and cheap veterans surrounding them.

The Houston trade is a good example of opportunities to do just that, however.  Garuba and TyTy have the ability to ‘become’ solid bench players at a relatively affordable price.

That's the gag.  Teams that are legit serious about building a championship, aren't restrained by the cap.  They find ways to get the player that they want, even if it's for the short term.

As a 40 year fan of this team, I'm willing to take on a guy for a rental, if it gives us our best at winning.

If you're telling me that we can field a team led by Trae, DJ, and Siakam . . . and we end up giving up Capela and at least 2 of the kids, I'm willing to do that.  It's not like the things we've done in the past has worked.  And we know that in general, young teams do not win in this league.

If the Hawks want to keep DJ, what if this is the trade?

image.thumb.png.320f0ea71beb166ded75d52f82980277.png

Raptors get ALL of our young talent, in exchange for Siakam.  Of course, if you're the Hawks, you would rather do this deal if Siakam had already signed a big money extension.  But what if he didn't?  Would you still do it?

Hawks starting lineup

• Trae
  • Dejounte
  • Bey
  • Siakam
  • Capela

Bench

• Free agent ( Dosunmu )
  • Bogi
  • Matthews
  • Free agent ( Markeif Morris )
  • Bruno
  • Bufkin
  • Garuba
  • Krejci
  • Gay
  • Martin

Would the fan base do this?  Giving up too much young talent?

The million dollar question is:  Do we bet on our kids getting dramatically better this season?  Or do we go out and go all out to get high level veteran talent?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I think they sent a take it or leave it Hunter, Capela, and the Sac 2024 FRP

I think this was the offer prior to FA before the Raps resigned Poetl and is probably still the same offer but with Capela routed to a 3rd team for value that goes to Toronto.

What's the best offer for Capela that Toronto would want?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That's the gag.  Teams that are legit serious about building a championship, aren't restrained by the cap.  They find ways to get the player that they want, even if it's for the short term.

As a 40 year fan of this team, I'm willing to take on a guy for a rental, if it gives us our best at winning.

If you're telling me that we can field a team led by Trae, DJ, and Siakam . . . and we end up giving up Capela and at least 2 of the kids, I'm willing to do that.  It's not like the things we've done in the past has worked.  And we know that in general, young teams do not win in this league.

If the Hawks want to keep DJ, what if this is the trade?

image.thumb.png.320f0ea71beb166ded75d52f82980277.png

Raptors get ALL of our young talent, in exchange for Siakam.  Of course, if you're the Hawks, you would rather do this deal if Siakam had already signed a big money extension.  But what if he didn't?  Would you still do it?

Hawks starting lineup

• Trae
  • Dejounte
  • Bey
  • Siakam
  • Capela

Bench

• Free agent ( Dosunmu )
  • Bogi
  • Matthews
  • Free agent ( Markeif Morris )
  • Bruno
  • Bufkin
  • Garuba
  • Krejci
  • Gay
  • Martin

The million dollar question is:  Do we bet on our kids getting dramatically better this season?  Or do we go out and go all out to get high level veteran talent?

Every team has to work the cap.  That doesn’t mean stay below it.  No, that trade is giving up way too much value.  If you ignore cap, you find yourself in a place where you have to give players away, pay another team to take a player, or unable to resign a player.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, terrell said:

Jared Weiss at The Athletic mentions the Hawks as one of the teams interested in Grant Williams at or slightly above the MLE.

Insiders? 

That would be a good addition for the MLE. I know his stock is low after falling out of the rotation and getting clowned by Butler, but he is a 40% 3pt shooter the last two years and plays very solid perimeter defense. It's just the type of guy we should be adding.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, terrell said:

Jared Weiss at The Athletic mentions the Hawks as one of the teams interested in Grant Williams at or slightly above the MLE.

Insiders? 

I like if true.  Should have "Hawks DNA" (snort) in spades.  He competes, has toughness, is a winner, shoots, does dirty work.  We would be pretty small if you're going to play him with OO.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, txsting said:

I like if true.  Should have "Hawks DNA" (snort) in spades.  He competes, has toughness, is a winner, shoots, does dirty work.  We would be pretty small if you're going to play him with OO.

You can have lineups of JJ-Grant-OO. Grant is versatile and you can put him in the wing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

You can have lineups of JJ-Grant-OO. Grant is versatile and you can put him in the wing.

Would love to see it.  I'm one who really likes a front court shooter with the gravity to pull some weight out of the lane and open up driving opportunities for JJ, Hunter, DJM, or whoever.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, txsting said:

MIght be a better fit with Capela tbh..

He'd be our PJ Tucker.. lol

39 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think this was the offer prior to FA before the Raps resigned Poetl and is probably still the same offer but with Capela routed to a 3rd team for value that goes to Toronto.

What's the best offer for Capela that Toronto would want?

I agree. I’m not sure where the offer stands but I’m sure Atlanta is seeing what is out there for a reroute for Capela. He is worth at least a FRP. Then Toronto would have to take an expiring and frp instead of Capela.

14 minutes ago, terrell said:

Insiders? 

Please please. This would be a very solid MLE use.

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, terrell said:

MIght be a better fit with Capela tbh..

He'd be our PJ Tucker.. lol

Yup.. assuming we add Grant and don't make other major moves you can slot him either at SF in OO lineups (backing up Hunter) or at PF in Cap lineups. He's a guy that fills a need for sure as our SF/PF is our biggest issue atm.

Just now, txsting said:

We shot more 2FG's than any team in the league last year, so one way we could improve efficiency is to pull defenders out of the lane.  60% from 2 is just as good as 40% from 3.  There are different ways to be more efficient.

We need shooters for sure, especially now that we don't have Collins who was actually making quite a bit of threes at a good clip to end the season when the offense really took off.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Here's the problem.

Fans see a recognizable Name and will say, that name is worth giving up all of our talent for. 

The other problem is....

Homers believe that the guys that we drafted have to be blue chippers.  Even after we have put them on the floor and have seen that they are not blue chippers, we still want to treat them like Blue Chippers.  Hence you have people believing that we have Kawhi Jr. on our team... and the second coming of Hakeem on our team. 

There's somewhere out there that is the truth.  That truth is that our talent is good but they have a ways to go.  Some of those recognizable names are not as good as we have talked them up to be.