Some JC stats

Year DRTG (lower is better) +/-
2017-18 107.8 -217
2018-19 114.6 -76
2019-20 112.2 -165
2020-21 112.4 183
2021-22 113.4 36
2022-23 115.3 -21

On the topic of "why John was traded." He only had 2 years with a positive +/-, his defensive rating has been in steady decline for 4 years.

Jalen's defensive rating last year, 112.5 (heavily shaded by his rough Nate inspired start and still finished only -10).

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2

The Hawks  played themselves by over valuing their players. It is disappointing that they couldn't at least get a first round pick. Look at what happened with Bradley Beal.  The Hawks were never as good as they thought they were. They mismanaged this situation from the ECF, to struggling to get into the playoffs and now wondering how they will compete. Get creative Landry or we are rebuilding and Trae is gone

23 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Now that I think about it more, Kyle Kuzma could actually be a sneaky good acquisition with Quin as the head coach.  Kyle can shoot the basketball, and Quin's system will put him in more advantageous positions to shoot the ball than what he got with Washington this past season.  Defensively, he's a guy that knows where he is supposed to be.  He's never going to be a great one on one guy, but he is kind of like Kyle Korver was on those great Hawks defensive teams under Bud.  He knows where to be.  

I wouldn’t be overly excited about a Kuzma pick up but he is a capable shooter but definitely not a great one and he’s not really good defensively either probably worse then Colin’s.

You stated he knows where to be defensively and I will just have to take your word for it.

He’s not really a upgrade to Collins skill wise or a fit in Synders system in my opinion.

BUT he’d probably be way cheaper than JC so there’s that.

39 minutes ago, JTB said:

I admit I overreacted on this collins trade without giving fields and Korver a chance .

lets see what the next move is before we judge.

With this move though, watch all of the blame shift toward Fields only, instead of the law firm of Fields, Korver, and Ressler.

Unless we pull off a bigger trade.  Then the law firm will get all of the love, and Fields will just be a part of the group.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

I personally don't want someone at the 4 who'd be a longterm starter. Get me a vet stop gap who can contribute like Jae Crowder and groom JJ for that spot. Watching the Denver finals makes it obvious how the secondary pieces on a team should compliment the superstar's playstyle. MPJ and Jamal Murray are microwave scorers that benefit from Jokic's methodical playstyle.

JJ's ability to push the pace, attack the rim, collapse on kickouts, and create for others from the pf position is a great release valve for Trae's explosive style. The biggest problem we've had with our frontcourt is that JC, Dre and CC can't pass/playmake for shit. 

He does more with the ball in this vid then JC did with his whole career.

I wouldn't be surprised if that trade exception isn't used right off the bat either. You could potentially use it on top of one of CC or Dre to bring in a big difference maker at some point this year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Which championship quality teams are there that got there with Salary dumps of starters?

It’s not a true "salary dump" since they didn’t have to attach an asset..... There’s nothing wrong with cutting cap liabilities...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don’t see a PF that could help us on FA. Kuzma, Rui, I don’t think they are a good fit, really weak defensively, advanced stats hate them for a reason. Perhaps PJ Washington, he is a RFA, I don’t think we can make a run at him. Basically I think we are committing our PF to JJ and Bey. Any PF players we could pursue?

At C I think here are interesting players, Thomas Bryant, Vucevic, Poetl, Brook Lopez, Wagner, even Drew Eubanks….I wonder if they are planning to sign a C and move OO to PF.

15 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Some JC stats

Year DRTG (lower is better) +/-
2017-18 107.8 -217
2018-19 114.6 -76
2019-20 112.2 -165
2020-21 112.4 183
2021-22 113.4 36
2022-23 115.3 -21

On the topic of "why John was traded." He only had 2 years with a positive +/-, his defensive rating has been in steady decline for 4 years.

Jalen's defensive rating last year, 112.5 (heavily shaded by his rough Nate inspired start and still finished only -10).

Great use of numbers to back up your argument.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

@thecampster  or @JayBirdHawk Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we still add on to this trade since it isn't finalized yet?

A trade similar to one of these (obviously more pieces would be involved) could be happening. 

image.thumb.png.570a930d250fb471a40a8790fd6e22b5.png

image.thumb.png.d47843cd413ab2198726fe39f41849bd.png

image.thumb.png.b3e697d6d42469fa9e7e47b89cd027ed.png

The problem with Siakam or Towns is their next contract.  They're going to demand that 35% max which completely hamstrings your roster, particularly when you have Trae on a 30% max, multiple upcoming extensions, and DJs FA situation.  Ressler would have to shock us all by blowing through the luxury floor like we've never seen.

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

The problem with Siakam or Towns is their next contract.  They're going to demand that 35% max which completely hamstrings your roster, particularly when you have Trae on a 30% max, multiple upcoming extensions, and DJs FA situation.  Ressler would have to shock us all by blowing through the luxury floor like we've never seen.

We wouldn’t have to worry about Towns contract for a long time if we pulled off a trade for him.

Towns is locked down for the next 5 years.