• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins Traded - Fare thee well!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Watchman said:

He got paid more than Dominique Wilkins and Moses Malone.

Dominique never got paid more than 3.5 Million.  Most Rookies in the First round makes more than that. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Dominique never got paid more than 3.5 Million.  Most Rookies in the First round makes more than that. 

Apples to oranges.  Nique earning $3.5M in 1992-93 is the equivalent of earning just under $32M today.  Total team cap then was $15.175M.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, AHF said:

Apples to oranges.  Nique earning $3.5M in 1992-93 is the equivalent of earning just under $32M today.  Total team cap then was $15.175M.

Becoming a millionaire in 1992-93 was a much bigger deal than it is today.  Now days we talk about Billionairs like we talked about Millionaires back then.  Nique made it to Millionaire status with the Atlanta Hawks!!

:smug:

• Premium Member
Trae Young on John Collins being traded to Utah: “It’s definitely tough seeing him go but at the same time like you know this is the business. JC knows that too like we’ve had conversations over the years and we’re so close that we noticed in the business if we don’t win things can change in a heartbeat. Me as a teammate I loved playing with JC I’ve throwing a lot of lobs to him he’s made me look really good a lot. I’ve always appreciated JC and I wish him nothing but the best.”
– via YouTube
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Everyone has an opinion I guess but his suggestion that we stunted his growth feels like sour grapes. His game grew tremendously while here but I’m not sure I see where his game really was going to take another step.

He’s a tweener who was a non existent shot creator, even in the post. His rim runner role was replaced by necessity because of his deficiency as a post defender. His passing improved but he declined as a rebounder and had a knack for disappearing for long stretches on the court. Not to mention the injuries.

Best of luck to him though. 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 4

• Moderators
17 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

JC says Goodbye to Hawks Fans:

Screenshot_20230918_162047_Samsung Internet.jpg

Surprised to see the 'my growth here is being stunted'.   Definitely a personal note and not a pr written one.  The punctuation and tense is pretty crazy.   But JC forever man!  One of my favorite Hawks of all time.  

Still think he's going to be playing center, and probably doing a damn good job, for somebody.  Probably pick up a Robert Horry type ring at some point in his career.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I get the stunted piece of his statement.  He couldn't play inside when CC was on the floor because CC clogs the paint and can do nothing outside of the paint.  So if JC wants to operate around the basket in any way, then CC absolutely stunted his development and play.  

That said, JC did have times without CC or when CC was off the floor and didn't exactly explode in those minutes.  I'm a little skeptical that his numbers are going to improve dramatically in Utah given the depth of their frontcourt.  Interested to see it play out.

• Like 4

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Pretty sure if he did not injure his finger he'd still be here. That injury put a 1 + year damper on his progress

That injury definitely hurt a lot of things (including his trade value) but the fit issue between JC and CC still would be problematic so I'm not certain that both of them are still here at this stage of the team's development even without the finger injury.

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, AHF said:

I get the stunted piece of his statement.  He couldn't play inside when CC was on the floor because CC clogs the paint and can do nothing outside of the paint.  So if JC wants to operate around the basket in any way, then CC absolutely stunted his development and play.  

That said, JC did have times without CC or when CC was off the floor and didn't exactly explode in those minutes.  I'm a little skeptical that his numbers are going to improve dramatically in Utah given the depth of their frontcourt.  Interested to see it play out.

Yeah and i wouldn't say that would be development anyway.  Seems he's talking about having more of a role in the offense i guess.   I think he would have done well under Quin but Quin seems to really like JJ so makes sense. 

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, kg01 said:

His growth here was stunted by being unable to dribble with his left hand .... or his right.

He's savvy enough to know how that bit is gonna be taken.  Smh 

yep, was gonna say the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah and i wouldn't say that would be development anyway.  Seems he's talking about having more of a role in the offense i guess.   I think he would have done well under Quin but Quin seems to really like JJ so makes sense. 

I disagree because Quin saw him play and clearly decided there wasn’t a role for him here. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dalamchops said:

jc had ridiculous efficiency even without trae as a rookie

No doubt.  The issue is not about efficiency with JC (other than when his finger was hurt and even then it was still solid) but about scalability.  What kind of volume can he generate in Utah?  Guess we'll see soon.

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, AHF said:

No doubt.  The issue is not about efficiency with JC (other than when his finger was hurt and even then it was still solid) but about scalability.  What kind of volume can he generate in Utah?  Guess we'll see soon.

The efficiency is a function of the volume though.  always has been.  He's great at only taking shots he's really good at making.  That doesn't mean he could score more at the same efficiency.