• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins Traded - Fare thee well!

JayBirdHawk

You can say Collins needs to be gone and still think this is a bad deal.

They held onto Collins too long. This franchise will never get it right. They never ha e and never will. That is reality. Poor management and terrible owners. Ressler continues that tradition.

This will always be a poorly ran franchise.

Edited by Plainview1981
  • Like 1

I thought we would go the DFS, Royce O route with possibly trying to reunite Jordan Clarkson with Quin at one point.

Not sure I love that route though, it’s relying on system and movement all the way because DFS and Royce are mainly in there for their D, on O they can’t create they just catch and shoot, which actually isn’t bad considering how much Trae and DM actually get in the lane.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I thought we would go the DFS, Royce O route with possibly trying to reunite Jordan Clarkson with Quin at one point.

Not sure I love that route though, it’s relying on system and movement all the way because DFS and Royce are mainly in there for their D, on O they can’t create they just catch and shoot, which actually isn’t bad considering how much Trae and DM actually get in the lane.

I don't want Quin bringing in all his cast-off. We are not them. Let's just be us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't want Quin bringing in all his cast-off. We are not them. Let's just be us.

Agree 💯. Perhaps players with similar traits that fit his system and can be their clones.

Dante Divencenzo gone.. no problem bring in Brandon Podz .. they both ginger 🫚’s 😂 the general scrubs fanbase won’t notice they aren’t that smart-Steve Kerr

What? I can takes shots at them. This ain’t a scrub board. 😂 

If JC was a free agent and you saw that Utah signed him for 3 yr $78M you would say they are nuts.  
The trade opens up a huge TPE, plus the MLE and BAE.  What we do with those options are who we traded Collins for.  So the grade is incomplete until those moves are made.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

If JC was a free agent and you saw that Utah signed him for 3 yr $78M you would say they are nuts.  
The trade opens up a huge TPE, plus the MLE and BAE.  What we do with those options are who we traded Collins for.  So the grade is incomplete until those moves are made.  

Eh, that's what Kuzma is going to get and I'd rather pay that to Collins every gd day of the week and twice on sunday. Not defending the contract but just your specific analogy I don't think is accurate in the current free agency climate. 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, aali34 said:

I can't quote or add any emojis as reactions for some reason @AHF

Wanted to say that when dude in the vid above said JC can pass and dribble I stopped watching.

@aali34 - Please make the change to your theme described in the pinned thread:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, warcore said:

and he's not even a Hawks fan first

This is my thing about Hawks fans.   They don't recognize what we have because they don't look around.   I am just as clueless to why there has been a JC hate campaign for the last three years.   It has found a home with the fans.  What they will see is that not only was JC a good player but he offered leadership.   DJM will fill that void momentarily. 

Hawks fans have always been this way.   More interested in the Salary Structure than what we get on the court.  Unwilling to see Chemistry.  And the worst is the belief that because we drafted them, they must be the best ever.   Right now, the prevailing thought is that JJ will come in and be better than JC was.   That's comedy.  I would sit and watch Hawks games where JC would touch the ball 8 times and get 12 points... in this his worst season offensively.  Then I would listen to fans complain about him missing a shot when he only touched the ball 8 times to begin with. 

I really wanted to see what Quin's offense would look like and how JC would be in it.   I mean, last year, if was Trae, DJ isoball for 60% of the game. 

But that's the Hawks fandome for you.   Every year, they single out 1 player to get rid of .  For the past 3 years, it's been JC.   I'm glad that he doesn't have to endure us any more.   I can see him trying to drop 50 on us when we play.  I won't even be mad if he does.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Eh, that's what Kuzma is going to get and I'd rather pay that to Collins every gd day of the week and twice on sunday. Not defending the contract but just your specific analogy I don't think is accurate in the current free agency climate. 

That's what Kuzma is asking to get paid not what he will get, Vuc just got 3 yr/$60M.  Most of the people I've listened to talk about the Collins trade as a C+ deal for both teams. 

It sounds like you rate Collins pretty high, and that is the thinking that got us into some of these contracts.  GMs and fans rating their own players too high is a common trap.  Even leading up to his contract and right after he signed it many of us wondered if we should pay him that much.  

I am likely in the minority but I don’t think Collin’s contract is that bad. $25m for a starting caliber power forward is not out of line with the market, particularly when you are paying for prime years. It is not a bargain but far from an albatross contract. Vucevic’s contract is for less money and years because he is already 30+ and in decline. 

The reason that contract does not work for the Hawks is the timing of the rebuild and so many players being on, or soon needing, second and third contracts. Team building is a very hard needle to thread. 

• Like 2

I agree with Diesel in one sense.  John has gotten a bad rap over the past 2-3 years.  It’s not his fault that they paired him with Clint down low.  It was always going to be an awkward fit.  

I disagree with him relative to Jalen though.  Long term, Jalen simply has more natural playmaking ability and defensive versatility.  He’s a better passer, better off the dribble, and while he has work to do and improvements to make, he has the ability to guard 2-4.  

I am also going to say that Hawks fans are giving up on DeAndre way too soon as well.  

• Like 1